Search Unity

[Softimage XSI] When to use freeze transformation?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by ryoma, May 31, 2009.

1. ryoma

ryoma

Hi,
    I am a programmer who is using XSI to do 3D modeling. When I import models from XSI(via FBX) the models' shapes are distorted. After much trial and error I found that I needed to 'freeze transformation' then export as FBX, then import to Unity. With this models don't get distorted.

However, the question remains...

Before exporting as FBX I always 'freeze all operator stack'. So the question is why I still need to do 'freeze transformation'. It's obvious that 'freeze all operator stack' didn't include ' freeze transformation'. But having said that what can be the differences between the two 'freezing'? Also, when exactly is the timing when I want to 'freeze transformation'? and exactly to accomplish what? I read the XSI help but it wasn't really clear on why or when I needed to do 'freeze transformation'.

Any advice is helpful. If you know anything about it I like to hear. Thanks in advance!

2. melmonkey

melmonkey

I hate XSI. There, I got that out of the way.

Freezing the operator stack and freezing transforms, are two separate things, as you found out.

In XSI, all operations you perform while modeling are operators. Moving verts, deleting faces, extruding edges etc. are all operators. Freezing the operator stack (hitting the Freeze M button) removes all the operators and gives you the final output mesh. There is no going back in time and changing the extrusion length from 10 steps ago after you freeze the operator stack.

Freeze transformations, is when you have moved, scaled and rotated the object in the world, and you want to reset the values. Say you moved your object to 10,10,10 and rotated it 32.5, 16.8, 90.0 and scaled it 2, 2, 5. When you freez the transforms, the position rotation and scale of the object will be reset to pos:0,0,0 rot:0,0,0 and scale: 1,1,1.

Did that help?

pjneese likes this.
  3. ryoma

ryoma

That helped alot, thanks melmonkey.

But I guess I'm still not sure when exactly one would want to use freeze transformation. Would you have an example situation that you can think of?

Thanks!