Search Unity

Softimage to Unity

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by alelordelo, Sep 17, 2015.

1. alelordelo

alelordelo

2. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Unity is not SoftImage you can't expect to keep the same functionality in Unity as you have in SoftImage, you will have to export to FBX and be left with just a mesh.

alelordelo likes this.
  3. Pix10

Pix10

Or you could do what many XSI users are doing and migrate to Houdini, and bring your Houdini tools into Unity with Houdini Engine.

But even then you won't get tool effects in runtime, you'll have to bake those. In the case of cloth you could bake geometry off a simulation in a Houdini Digital Asset running inside Unity under Houdini Engine. Still, definitely not a one-button process (well, it can be, but you have build it first...)

alelordelo likes this.
  4. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

If you just need your cloth animation then use one of the assets in the Asset store for playing back point cache data, I use the MegaFiers system for playing back my cloth data from 3ds max.

alelordelo and Pix10 like this.
  5. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Agree with all above. MegaFiers is a great system.
    Obi-Cloth may be another option.

alelordelo likes this.
  6. alelordelo

alelordelo

Thanks Pix10, it sounds like a good alternative!

But would I be able to open the "xsiaddon" file on Houdini?

7. alelordelo

alelordelo

Thanks, but I need a different approach than Obi!

8. alelordelo

alelordelo

Thanks, but I need this specific plugin.

9. Pix10

Pix10

I'm afraid you'd have to replicate the functionality (or use similar features that do the same job) inside Houdini - you can't use plugins for one application inside another for obvious reasons (the obvious being, they're different applications :)).

I don't know what the XSI plug-in does specifically that you need so badly... Houdini in any event is a world class visual effects application, and where there's a will there's usually a way.

But if you did a proper switch to Houdini (and just getting up to speed can be a big investment in time and patience) you'd probably forget all about that plugin and develop a different approach anyway. It's not going to happen overnight.

The point cache or a shader-based approach, would be my solution 9 times out of 10. Depends on why and for what.

Bear in mind anyway, Unity's not a dedicated modeling platform like a regular 3D app, it isn't the best place to edit complex geometry or animation. Do all the grunt work outside, and bring it in as lean as possible.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  10. alelordelo

alelordelo

Thanks for clarifying this!

Will probably have to work on the geometry outside, and bring it to Unity.

Again, thanks a lot for helping out!

best