Search Unity

Soft Particles with Orthographic Camera

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by OtreS, Dec 20, 2019.

1. OtreS

OtreS

Hello!
    I've been trying to wrap my head around getting Soft Particles to work with my Orthographic Camera.
    I have some mist near the ground and when my camera is orthographic there is sharp edges where the particles intersect the ground.

I'm on unity 2017 free. As far as I understand Soft Particles did not work on Unity free until 17?
    Because now they seem to work if my Camera is Perspective and look good when looking in editor.

Things I have tried
    - Set the Camera to deferred, but since it's ortographic it will switch back to forward.
    - Make my Camera render depth with - cam.depthTextureMode = DepthTextureMode.Depth;
    - Have particles cast and recieve shadows.
    - Have particles use a material with (Soft) shader.

- I have found this thread where I think I should render the Depth to a RenderTexture but i don't understand how to use it for my purpose:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/ortographic-camera-depth.77558/

- This thread have some rows of code that returns a float with "CorrectDepth" and a shader. But I don't understand how to use this for my purpose either
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/get...-the-orthographic-camera.601825/#post-4966334

What I can figure out:
    It seems like I need the particle shader(?) to read the Depth somehow, either by passing it the RenderTexture or a float value.

So my questions is:
    Am I on the right track? Is there a correct sollution to this? How do you get Soft particles to work with the Orthographic camera?
    Is it a custom Shader for the particles I need or is it a setting somewhere?

What should I search for to find the answer?

Any help is appriciated!

Best
    /O

2. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Unfortunately Soft Particles don't work with Orthographic cameras due to differences in how depth is stored between the 2 camera modes.

We had a bug for it here, but it was deprioritised: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...-in-orthographic-mode-compared-to-perspective

This issue won't be fixed for the Built-in Renderer now, because we are focussing on our new Render Pipelines, but I would expect it to work (or be fixed, if broken) in the Universal and High Definition Render Pipelines.

EDIT: you may be able to do it yourself with a custom shader. If you are comfortable writing your own shaders, you could download the Built-in shader pack and try to copy/modify what you need from it.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  3. OtreS

OtreS

Thank you for the answer!
    That's unfortunate, and yeah i'm not very skilled at writing shaders. So unless someone have solved it and want to share how, I get skilled at writing shaders and solve it.... or work around it :)

4. DGENR8S

DGENR8S

hi this still seems to be an issue with unity 2021.2.15f1 URP. i have these dreamy particle systems all set up and when i switch camera to orthographic bam they be gone, big frowny face please lemme know if a fix mucho thankies! ~g

Immu likes this.
  5. Radivarig

Radivarig

Just to mention that soft particles work for Unity 2022 Universal Render Pipeline/Particles/Unlit

richardkettlewell likes this.