Search Unity

Soft human body - is it possible in unity3d / pro?

Discussion in 'Physics' started by Akuma, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Akuma

Akuma

My aim in my planned application is to make the body of a "character" as physically close to reality as possible.
    The main thing I want to have on a finished product is stretchy elastic skin, underneath which is soft fat layer, tougher muscles and, at last, completely firm bones. When the pressure is applied to some part of the body it should deform properly based on it's structure in that zone.
    I'm not sure if that's even possible to create in realtime with unity, that's why I'm asking. Also, maybe someone already did something like that, or maybe unity would be a wrong choice for me - I don't know.

Also any possible advices except for "don't do it" will be appreciated =D

Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. Dantus

Dantus

Not realistic in general. If you want to create something like GTA, it is absolutely impossible.

What is your actual use case?

3. Akuma

Akuma

what do you mean something like GTA? isn't it pretty standart models in GTA games, or are you talking about something else? And why is it impossible in Unity?
    There is no definite use-case. I'm just really interested in possibility of such technology for VR purposes. That's why I want to play around with it on my own.

4. Dantus

Dantus

What you are looking for is not part of GTA. That has nothing to do with Unity.
    It is a good idea to just play around and find out what is possible.

5. TiG

TiG

Of course it is possible, even more so in devices with powerful CPU. The precision will vary on the computational power, but for visualization purposes, it should be ok. We have worked in lots of systems that have similar underpinnings.

6. Akuma

Akuma

can you perhaps give some advices then? Because I have a raw picture in mind about how I could do that, but I don't even know how to search for something like this in google. Maybe there is some term used for what I'm trying to achieve, or some researches? Thanks.

7. shaderop

shaderop

Would you share an example or two of such work? I'm no expert in this domain, but this is the first time I've heard of the existence of a fully dynamic, real time soft tissue and muscle simulation. Would love to see an example of what you have in action.

8. TiG

TiG

Some relevant work we had done:

Dear Akuma, you can use a simplified version of FEA or some other empirical/rule based system to make it work. This won't be an easy task, if you are doing this for fun, it would be a good challenge. If this is being done for business you can consider hiring us.

Arkade likes this.
  9. shaderop

shaderop

As admirable as they are, I don't see these examples amounting to even a precursor to something of the scale and complexity described by the OP. But again I'm no expert. Good on you for having such confidence, though.

10. TiG

TiG

As an expert in this field I can assure you that these are relevant in many ways. Actually it is just the matter of computational power, otherwise every thing is ready to make such a system for visualization purposes. To make it run on realtime some simplifications need to be done. Especially if a modern GPU's power is harnessed as some newer FEA/topology optimization software do, it can be pretty detailed too.

11. hopeful

hopeful

Possibly something like this store asset might help? (There is also a pro version which provides source code.)

I'm not entirely sure of the scope of that asset, but it might go well with another one: this one.

12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

The gta comment was really bizarre since it's very possible to have the same mechanics at play in unity.

13. Dantus

Dantus

The comment was indeed bizarre.
    What I basically wanted to say is that it is not realistic to use that kind of mechanics in general on all platforms and it is not scalable for crowds in general.