Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Soft Edge from Maya to Unity

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by nikuskwas, Dec 2, 2007.

1. nikuskwas

nikuskwas

Hello everyone!

I am trying to import a low-poly model from maya to unity, but I want to include the Soften Edge information in it. Is there a way to do this in Unity? Any special tricks?

Thanks,

Nick

2. AaronC

AaronC

Hi Nick, welcome

At the top of Unity's project window is a settings button.

Select your model, click settings, and uncheck the automatically calculate normals option.
    Cheers
    AC

3. nikuskwas

nikuskwas

Great! Thanks Targos!

Will this increase FPS in some way?

Nick

4. AaronC

AaronC

Possibly yes. Well my novice understanding is that when normals are softened, the engine calculates 1 vertex, when they are not, it calculates 1 vertex for every face sharing that point. I dont know if you would ever percieve the difference however, and I still dont know what degree of angle that that change occurs, ie:

180 degrees = soft edge
    90 degrees = hard edge

But what does 179 degrees equal?
    any takers?
    AC

5. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

Nope - In Unity, all the heavy processing is done when you import a source asset (maya file, photoshop file, etc). So whenever you change a source file, there's an import that gets executed. After that, the asset is stored in the optimal format for the game engine.

Example:
    • You have a multi-layer PSD file, which you save.

• Unity sees that the file has changed and does a reimport.

• This flattens the psd, and (optionally) compresses it into DXT format (the compression which GPUs use), and then feeds this to the editor / game engine. The import settings for the texture is where you decide everything for this part of the process

• You select "Build Game" - this grabs all the imported/optimized data (the flattened PSD file) and put that in a binary file which is optimized for fast loading. (and Unity also ignores any assets you are not using).

• You've got a high-performing game, even though you used a multi-layered PSD file.

Awss likes this.