Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Socket: unable to join multicast group

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Elecman, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Gusts92

Gusts92

Solved it. Still had some hidden device managers from last VPN I used. Just disabled them and the errors just vanished.

2. merkelhap

merkelhap

Hi,

I have tried the exact steps what you have mentioned but it doesn't solved.
    Can you help me with some other way.

Thanks in advance
    Merkel

3. Gusts92

Gusts92

Merkel, have you tried my solution? I can make a video and post here, if you want. It might be the same issue

4. h13700

h13700

uninstall any vpn app

5. Asus_Prime

Asus_Prime

6. jack000

jack000

i still have this problem in unity 2018.2.10f1........................

7. crowcoder

crowcoder

I understand the error is probably showing because of my VPN, but my game should not be trying to join a multicast group (whatever that is) so I don't want to just make the error go away, I want to know why it is happening.

8. dval

dval

My game shouldn't be trying to join multicast for any reason. VPN is irrelevant here. I have noticed I only get this error when Steam is running in the background.
    Is anyone else running some sort of networking client? I am also wondering if AdobeCC would cause similar issues.
    like 2 things trying to lock the same port or something.

9. zsunny

zsunny

It's also useful for me,thanks!

10. rootux

rootux

Still happening for me. Tried license upgrade and web install and nothing

11. ZeUsM

ZeUsM

Today happen this error, no VPN connection was used. Tried license upgrade and web install and nothing

12. terpsichorean

terpsichorean

Experienced this on Unity 2019.x (3.0a7 and older). I removed a good portion of my assets / project trying to solve it!
    Solved for me by:
    1. Looked in upper right of Unity's main window - found the "Account" button. (It's to the right of the cloud icon on 2019.3.0a7. I have also had this "multicast" error on older versions of Unity.)
    2. Click Account button, then Sign Out <my Unity account name>. (Yes, I previously tried refreshing my licenses like earlier advice in this thread - no change. Signing out fixed it for me.)
    3. Once signed out, I hit the Play button above the Scene/Game view to run my game without any login. This time, it actually ran, and without the 4 "multicast" errors I received earlier.
    4. Click Account button, then Sign back in. (Clicking Play continues to work - so something obviously got fixed by signing out.)
    I hope this helps some of us, at least. This error seems to have different causes, based on these reports.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    tessiof likes this.
  13. tessiof

tessiof

This worked for me. Thanks!

14. Chuck_S

Chuck_S

2019.2 checking in. Still getting this error.

15. aichayaser2015

aichayaser2015

Curl error 56: Receiving data failed with unitytls error code 1048578

16. sicheater

sicheater

this work, thanks!

17. LuigiNicastro

LuigiNicastro

I am now facing this problem as well

18. Zendderman

Zendderman

still facing the error, any fix??

19. DesigningKnight

DesigningKnight

I ended up removing all my network devices, cleaning all the drivers out and reinstalling them. That seems to have removed the problem for me.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  20. andyz

andyz

I get this today from Unity 2018 LTS.
    what is a multicast group?
    If it is an attempt to check a license or something then say that first, don't throw a meaningless [to many] error

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  21. wlsgh380

wlsgh380

22. sssskim

sssskim

It was solved by turning off multiple IP settings on Advanced TCP/IP Settings window.

23. IndieJustiX

IndieJustiX

I have solve it by deleting Proxifier and re-entering in my profile in Unity Hub.

24. bboysil

bboysil

Same issue in Unity 2019.4.18f. Signing out and then back in didn't do the trick for me :(

25. AerionXI

AerionXI

Same issue Unity 2019.4.23f1 --- tried EVERYTHING suggested here MULTIPLE times & still the errors persist. PLEASE HELP...

26. AerionXI

AerionXI

Unable to join player connection alternative multicast group.

27. Ishtiak00

Ishtiak00

Mine Too Uninstall Proxyfier

28. AerionXI

AerionXI

I don't even use proxifier.

29. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

This error comes up periodically for me - just out of the blue, with no prior changes to Unity or my computer. Once it starts, it continues to occur when I start all projects. When it does, I've tried:

- logging out and back in to Unity
    - returning and re-installing my license through Unity Hub
    - rebooting my computer
    - disconnecting the internet
    - updating my network drivers​

None of these suggestions I've found online worked for me. What did finally work was disabling all services related to my VPN. I have Private Internet Access installed. I've set Unity and the Hub to not use the VPN, but even with it turned off, and the tray app shut down, a service connected with it still wants to run in the background. Once I shut this service down, the error goes away.

I have two questions though: What the **** is this "multicast group" and why am I trying to join it from a standalone game with no networking features? Also, why should we all have to take such extraordinary measures to prevent an error from a feature we're not even using? Earth to Unity: VPNs and proxies are a thing. Deal with it.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
    RickMandar likes this.
  30. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

Good news everyone! After I reported my workaround for this error - above, and in a separate bug report - it looks like Unity has fixed it... so the workaround no longer works. After running the VPN, even if I shut it down and stop the background service, the multicast error pops up whenever I open a Unity project. The only way to avoid the error after using the VPN now is to do a clean boot before starting Unity. At the rate you're going, I'll need to uninstall the VPN completely, or reinstall Windows after using it. Thanks a lot guys! :rolleyes:

31. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

As predicted, the previous workaround has stopped working too. I'm getting the error all the time now, even without activating the VPN service after a clean boot. The good news is that it doesn't seem to affect my game in any way after the initial error. The bad news is that it's still annoying to get a pointless error that there seems to be no solution for every time I use Unity. If Unity isn't going to fix whatever is causing this, can they at least remove the error message? It doesn't seem to serve any purpose other than to raise my blood pressure. :mad:

32. Weerasinghe_CJ

Weerasinghe_CJ

This error came with me every unity version and every project.

Guys! Uninstall Proxifier and HTTP injector if you have installed any of this.
    It worked for me :p

33. namanjangra

namanjangra

lol it's 2021 and still this error coming, I don't know how to solve it but this happened after i build a game

jjhartmann likes this.
  34. Lorin_Atzberger

Lorin_Atzberger

It's almost 2022 and this is still coming up.

35. paulygons

paulygons

Same error appeared from one day to the next (no Unity update). The difference I know I made was that before running unity today I used Spybot to "immunize" my computer. (probably has nothing to do with this?) Tried the other solutions with no luck.

36. Rick_Jo

Rick_Jo

I still get the problem as well. version 2020.3.25f

37. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

Yet another case of Unity ignoring issues for several years, pretending they're stable for investor illusions.

38. Ultroman

Ultroman

We're getting them now, too, seemingly at random. No idea where they're coming from. I can just keep going, though. Nothing breaks (so far).

"Unable to join player connection multicast group."
    "Unable to join player connection alternative multicast group."

39. dpt2

dpt2

This is NOT an answer - this is a horrible workaround. Unity - when are you going to fix them?

I discovered a correlation: Whenever I get this error, I cannot debug (hit breakpoints) in both Rider + VS.

^ Those above, just curious: Are you located in Taiwan, or somewhere unique outside USA/Western Europe/Australia? I've started noticing some geo-targeted bugs from others in a different thread that has a similar issues with this bug.

40. dpt2

dpt2

upload_2022-3-23_11-38-27.png
    So I have a theory. Unity just blindly grabs "any" network adapter, and chooses the wrong one - one that doesn't support multicast. This is why uninstalling VPN may work, since Unity picks a random one instead of the one that actually supports multicast.

All Unity has to do is ensure it's not a TAP adapter (or similar), in addition to making a test multicast, and bingo.

Sadly, after seeing what happened to the github bug reports (they purged them all), QA has a better chance to randomly lock this thread than actually fix the bug.

Even a ghetto fix would be to let us manually choose what adapter to use for multicast.

EDIT: To add, I disabled the VPN adapters and now the pkg mgr service times out completely. This also means that the service is running when Unity AND Unity Hub is closed - to open a new question, why would this still be running in the BG if we're not using Unity / Hub?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
  41. dpt2

dpt2

upload_2022-3-23_11-58-53.png

Full reply since I repro'd the issue and [a terrible, but working] workaround.

* When you get this err, the multicast is to send to your IDEs like Visual Studio or Rider to debug - you won't hit a breakpoint if you get this err.
    * This issue IS caused by extra network adapters - Unity 100% blindly chooses them without testing if multicast is possible. This is pretty amateur hour, but luckily can be easily fixed with a ping/pong.
    * When you uninstall a VPN and it still doesn't work, that's because "Node.js: Server-side Javascript" runs in the background and is still trying to connect to the same adapter (that no longer exists). Or you have more adapters. A reboot would get it working again after you disable all your other adapters.
    * This also means that Unity keeps a Node service running in the BG even when you're not running Unity/Hub (creepy).
    * Your VPN will NOT work with this workaround: A fix is required by Unity.

Glad to be able to debug again due to this breaking bug, but sadly without a VPN.

I'll send over my invoice later for the QA work.

StarManta and JasonC_ like this.
  42. JasonC_

JasonC_

Still happens in 2020.3.30f1. Also:

I don't have this option?

upload_2022-3-24_19-38-26.png

43. JasonC_

JasonC_

I don't have any Node instances running in the background; and I don't see any started by Unity, either (Windows; Unity 2020.3.30f1).

I don't have a VPN installed on this machine but I disabled all the adapters I wasn't using (using Wifi, disabled wired and some vm adapters), restarted the Hub + Editor with no luck, rebooted still with no luck.

I mean it doesn't sound like a bad theory; but I think something in your analysis might be a red herring. If your premise is correct, though, then it would mean Unity is including disabled adapters in its candidate list. This is conceivable, but would be ... strange (considering how widely used . The other thing is, I've had various versions of Unity on this machine for about 3 years, with no changes to network configuration in the mean time, and only manual driver updates (i.e. I know an adapter driver update didn't coincide with the issue), and this afternoon is the first time I've ever encountered the issue.

---

Btw, it's not directly related, but maybe a useful data point: There's a long-standing bug that Unity consistently fails to acknowledge where sometimes if the internet connection is reset while the Hub is running (happens a lot on e.g. laptops that go to sleep), it trashes the Hub connection and anything that depends on your account (e.g. Editor connections to the package repos) will fail until you completely exit the Hub (and Editor) then restart them both -- or close the Editors, log out then log in again in the Hub, then restart the Editor.

Another possible data point; I took a look at the editor starting up with Process Monitor, and I can verify that no network API calls failed and that the Editor scans the network interfaces from the Windows registry each time it starts. That doesn't mean it's not an adapter or network issue (because it doesn't rule out protocol errors or failure to find a multicast adapter) -- in fact, I don't know what the significance of that is at all (I guess it rules out some external service caching network adapter info). But it's ... a thing. Lol.

---

Also it's strange that this thread has these long periods of inactivity, then sudden waves of posts. Perhaps it's got nothing to do with our machines, and it's some issue with some Unity server somewhere? I've never used multiplayer stuff before, though, and have no idea how it works or if what I just said even makes sense.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2022
  44. StarManta

StarManta

While I haven't gotten this error in a long time for whatever reason, I've continued following the thread, and this comment is probably the biggest break in a decade! At this point, it seems like the main thing that would prevent a fix from being in the next point-release of Unity would be if the Unity devs (understandably enough) never see this deep reply in a decade-old thread. So in the interest of solving that, and not knowing who the specific Unity person to fix the bug is, and with apologies for the necessary evil of tag-spam in this instance:
    @Aurore @LeonhardP @richardkettlewell
    Seems like this was in jest, but honestly they should throw a bug bounty at you and seriously consider hiring you for their QA team. This is the kind of QA work that is so good it does most of the devs' bug-killing work for them. (assuming the fix works anyway)

dpt2 and Kurt-Dekker like this.
  45. JasonC_

JasonC_

Well I mean, they'll see something, because I filed a bug report the other day. I don't have an issue tracker link yet.

I also didn't see any other related issues on the issue tracker except for one or two tangentially related very old posts. This means that either a) it's on their internal tracker (they won't put them on the public tracker in this case) or b) nobody's reporting it.

If it's (b) then I mean... not too surprised it never got any attention. Reporting bugs through the issue tracker in the Help menu is usually the way to get attention to a bug.

46. happydog145

happydog145

When I make virtual network, maybe this problem is appeared.

47. dpt2

dpt2

So far, I've been able to repro this workaround fix 100% on my end across 2 PCs. The only thing I can't do is trigger the bug itself, but the more network adapters, the greater the chance. In most cases, "random" is just an illusion - there's surely a way to ninja target trigger the bug, but I'm out of time.

However, a working theory is if you use a VPN -> Start hub -> Close the VPN anywhere in between -> that VPN network adapter is still being used, even when it's offline. Even Teamviewer uses their own network adapters (...or maybe I have a TV VPN enabled; I forgot).

However, some people in this post don't even see node processes running, and others claim to have only 1 network adapter. Perhaps this only happens if a particular service is running?

* Personal license telemetrics (I forgot if I had the issue when I used Plus)?
    * Unity Collab?
    * Unity Analytics?

I wonder what proc actually spawns the Node process? Tools for Unity, Hub, or something else like a mentioned service above?

TL;DR: Unity just has to verify the network adapter has the capability to multicast where "the other side" (Tools for Unity - IDE like Rider or VS) is listening, then poll to check for network changes (instead of infinitely use the same adapter til reboot), such as enabling/disabling a VPN. In its current status, it's like you changed from tmobile to verizon with a new phone number (vpn off -> on), still calling the same number that no longer exists (but in denial that it still exists :p ).

Edit: And thanks for the praise, eheh :) this has been a long journey. I'm a senior online multiplayer architect, so networking shenanigans is sort of my specialty! I surely wasn't a senior dev when I first encountered this bug in ~Unity 5.4

Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
    JasonC_ likes this.
  48. dpt2

dpt2

This bug/thread has existed since 2013 (look at OP's post date), and I have posted the exact solution to fix it. Unity, where are you?

49. dpt2

dpt2

Had the issue this morning (like I do most days).
    upload_2022-4-27_14-31-49.png

Disabled all adapters >> Restarted Unity >> Works np. The workaround works 100% of the time. Still awaiting a Unity dev to acknowledge this to fix this 9-year-old bug.

PS: Seems like the Nodejs services have went away: Not sure if this is because I moved to an LTS build or because Hub upgraded. They likely bundled it as a child process, now. Either way, I no longer have to end these tasks for the workaround to fix.

You're 1/2 way there, Unity!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
    JasonC_ likes this.
  50. JasonC_

JasonC_

It stopped for me at some point in the last couple weeks (no change to unity version or system config or anything).

It's just weird. *If* it truly affects everybody together in waves that match this forum post activity, there's got to be some significance to that... I think?