Search Unity

So whats the deal with Monodevelop now?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Brogan89, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Brogan89

Brogan89

I know its be discontinued from Unity so no longer supported. But I assume it's still functional and supported by mono-project right?

I installed it today from their website https://www.mono-project.com/download/stable/ and its really cool IDE. It pretty much feels like having VS but on linux. The only downside with using it with Unity is that every ime you open a script from the Unity editor it opens up a new window rather than opening the script from currently open window. So a few usability issues but in some ways I prefer it to VSCode for C#.

So I'm wondering are we expected to use VSCode from now on? Or am I missing something a step in setting up Monodevelop in Unity?

I'd love to hear from anyone using Monodevelop with Unity ~2018.3. Or what others are using instead of VSCode?

2. PixelJ

PixelJ

Unity Technologies

hopeful, senkal_ and JBR-games like this.
  3. senkal_

senkal_

For me Rider all the way.
    I use JetBrains IDEs for a while so switching to Rider was super easy, for me at least.
    In general Rider is awesome. Good Linux support, very good refactoring tools, good Unity support, code inspection fully customizable, debugging working 100%, good support for Vim, fast enough(Java), tons of plugins out of the box(like very good git support), ... but it is not free ...
    You can still use it without paying but last time I checked the limit was 30 minutes and I had to restart IDE(once 30 days trial expired), not sure what limitations are there now.

Had tons of issues with MonoDevleop(disappearing popups, slow, issues with good system integration, problems with debugging and code autocomplete), it was even easier to install and use MS Visual Studio for Linux.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    PixelJ likes this.
  4. Brogan89

Brogan89

Yea on further use of MonoDevelop I found it was freezing up and just a few little pet peeves.

I have tried Resharper before in VS but not Rider its self I don't think. I didn't really like Resharper but I see thats an added option. And I did really enjoy ItelliJ when I had to do some java work so I'll have to give it another go. Thanks for reminding me I actually forgot about that one. ... but monthly payments *sigh.

5. senkal_

senkal_

@Brogan89
    If paying is too much for you at the moment, I think Visual Studio is also something worth to consider.
    On Linux I had some issues to make it "see" Mono and Unity libraries so auto complete and debugging could work.
    I resolved this by installing some Mono packages but I am not sure now what was it.
    Another problem was theme integration. When I switched to dark theme not every GUI element was using dark theme what was the cause of readability issues (dark font on dark background etc).
    I think this was specific to the fact I was using KDE and maybe support is not that great here.

Apart from that, it was fast and good enough. Definitely better that MonoDevelop.
    I didn't test everything but for sure basic things worked(syntax highlight etc) plus some Unity integration and debugging Unity games as well.
    If not the fact that I could go with JetBrains I would stay with MS product probably.

PixelJ likes this.
  6. Brogan89

Brogan89

I've used VSCode a few times both windows and Linux but always found myself going back to Visual Studio. I use windows at work and at home (desktop) but my laptop when I want to work else where I use Linux. And I'm trying to find a solution that I can use everywhere and be happy with the experience. VSCode is closest at the moment. But its not as "integrated" as I would like. Maybe one day it will be.

I'm trialing out Rider now for 30 days and if I really like it ill try convince the boss to pay for it :D. $20NZD/mnth isn't that bad really. Less than $1 a day and since I use Unity every day ill get my moneys worth.

7. Adrian

Adrian

Visual Studio for Mac is basically the same as MonoDevelop.

When Xamarin took over Mono development, they released a branded version of MonoDevelop as Xamarin Studio. In 2016 they were bought by Microsoft and they rebranded Xamarin Studio as Visual Studio for Mac.

Visual Studio for Mac has offical integration with Unity. If something doesn't work, you should be able to report it to Microsoft and get it fixed (note that the preview version has a known issue with Unity).

8. PixelJ

PixelJ

Unity Technologies

Unity's Rider integration is really really good.

Brogan89 likes this.
  9. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

forestrf, kdchabuk, knobby67 and 7 others like this.
  10. PixelJ

PixelJ

Unity Technologies

Wow, it's super snappy on Ubuntu!

11. Brogan89

Brogan89

Never heard of that one. Will check it out. Thanks for the insight.

sfjohansson likes this.
  12. Brogan89

Brogan89

@sfjohansson Dude, so happy man. Thanks a lot for that request. Case is closed now. Best cross platform IDE has been found :D

hopeful and sfjohansson like this.
  13. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

I'm glad you like...they guy who maintains it is also very much on the ball so if you bump into any issues... let him know and he might have a fix for you within hours.

Brogan89 likes this.
  14. GrassWhooper

GrassWhooper

having switched to linux mint 19.1 from windows 10 like a week ago, i have been struggling a lot to find a proper code editor and man i was totally surprised by this one.
    and man, works like magic :D
    i now know, my favorite code editor :)

Brogan89, PixelJ and sfjohansson like this.
  15. Brogan89

Brogan89

Yea I'm quite impressed as well. There are a few pet peeves I have with it, but their not the end of the world kind of thing. Still best IDE for Unity on Linux I have found, and the developer is very responsive for any issues you have.

16. Cherubim79

Cherubim79

Visual Studio for Mac is actually MonoDevelop under the hood, with some additions to it by Microsoft. VS for Mac was previously called Xamarin Studio, but the interface has been streamlined and it works with Unity3D.

I’m using it for Unity3D, .NET Core, and Xamarin, with a focus on building extensions for VS for Mac right now.

17. AlexTuduran

AlexTuduran

Is there a theme that would make Rider look like MonoDevelop (syntax hl)?