Search Unity

Question So we should use the "Analytics Legacy" package in order to use the "new" Game Services Analytics?

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by FabioFP, May 12, 2022.

1. FabioFP

FabioFP

I found this quite confusing and couldn't find any mention of it in the documentation.
    So it looks like we need to install the preview/pre-release package versions from "Analytics Legacy" (com.unity.services.analytics) in order to use the new Game Services Analytics. Is this correct?

So is the plan to deprecate the "Analytics Library" (com.unity.analytics) package instead?

Screenshot 2022-05-12 at 17.17.30.png

2. unity_Ctri

unity_Ctri

Unity Technologies

Hey Fabio,

Thanks for reaching out, I understand the confusion.
    In essence, your understanding is correct.

UGS Analytics and Legacy Analytics share a package identifier - this means they appear in this way in the editor, but once the UGS Analytics service is out of preview & open beta we expect users to use com.unity.services.analytics, available under Analytics in the package manager.

We're in an unfortunate period where the new service hasn't fully replaced the previous one, and there are some overlapping naming conventions during this interim period.

Once we're out of beta, the previous version of Analytics packages (for Legacy Analytics) will be deprecated and the UGS Analytics 4.x version will be the version to use moving forward - all via the package manager.

Note that if you do get package 4.0+, then it will be named "Analytics" rather than "Analytics Legacy".

3. FabioFP

FabioFP

Hi @unity_Ctri, thanks for the reply and for confirming this.
    It is indeed quite confusing, especially if we are looking for updating to the new service.
    I'd suggest perhaps updating the documentation here https://docs.unity.com/analytics/SDKInstallation.html to reflect this, just so we avoid more people having the same confusion and issues while things are not in place.

SebT_Unity likes this.
  4. unity_Ctri

unity_Ctri

Unity Technologies

Hey Fabio,

Appreciate you pointing that out, it's a good shout and I'll get the ball rolling on updating that!