Search Unity

So Unity Has a big mega flash deal thing and it sucks

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by p_hergott, Nov 15, 2021.

1. p_hergott

p_hergott

their website couldnt even handle the traffic. by the time I stopped getting errors. the store ran insanely slow. and everything was already down from 90 to 70%..... like if your gonna do a sale like that. try to have the infrastructure to support it

fertel, Trifecta, Tzirrit and 5 others like this.
  2. kirkovski

kirkovski

Exactly... planned on getting some assets, then in a matter of 20 mins.... just while i tried to get more... system was down.

Trifecta, Sabso and 13E12K like this.
  3. leafspring

leafspring

Yeah, that whole thing is embarrassing. Now I can't even load a single page when logged in (logged out I at least see the assets, though, with the wrong sale data). Since I have to go to work now and can't check any longer this is it for the 3 assets I actually wanted out of the flash sale.

Good stuff.

Trifecta, Sabso and 13E12K like this.
  4. 13E12K

13E12K

Besides, 90% deals, I even cannot buy the 50% or regular prices :)

5. FaithlessOne

FaithlessOne

If I wouldn't know it better, I would think this is the very first sale in the Unity Asset Store. You would not expect from a company like Unity to go totally unprepared in a sale in regard to the infrastructure. Disappointing...

Sabso likes this.
  6. Rhivian

Rhivian

Embarrassing.

fertel, Trifecta and Sabso like this.
  7. SonSep

SonSep

Even I couldn't access to Package Manager.... it's really embarrassing
    And also I guess 90% deals are gonna 50%

Sabso likes this.
  8. valmyr

valmyr

So many errors..

"Internal server error: Fail to get redis data"
    "Gateway timeouts"
    "Wrap non AppError: unexpected EOF"

Makes me wonder if there is really anybody who was able to get those 90% deals. By the time you will be able to buy them, it's already passed the time limit and also passed that discount rate.

It feels that the sale is really about 70% or 50% which is similar to the past Spring sale.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    fertel likes this.
  9. valmyr

valmyr

Yea this is really bad. It impacts both buying customers and those who are developing their projects since they also use the asset store to download their assets.

This event even highlighted an issue with their architecture. The place where we download assets should be separate from the "store".

Sabso likes this.
  10. ddreams_anne

ddreams_anne

Totally agree, I could not get some of the assets for 90%, as I was sleeping when those got 'live' and now the site is completely down ... *sighs* ... I expected better from a website that is purely focused on selling assets!

11. Trifecta

Trifecta

Bittersweet that I'm not the only one. The reality is sad. I wish it were only me so I could do something to fix it but I guess not. I was surprised to see the 90% deals gone down to 50% as well.

12. zajcev-bb

zajcev-bb

Guys.. what did u expect? its unity!
    u need to buy an alternate package from unity store that fixes unitys bugged module to make it work.. go search for some unity asset store alternative package -_-

Tzirrit likes this.
  13. Sabso

Sabso

I didn't think a company could manage to hold a sale that could keep me up all night, not sell me the product at the price I thought I would get it at, AND be a huge frustrating disappointment but well done, you managed it Unity. I really felt the real-world taste of disappointment in waiting 45 minutes for the site to load to not get what I waited for.

The prices didn't show up correctly for most of the time, and by the time the site loaded properly, the sale was effectively over unless you like showing up for a 90% sale and getting a 50%-70% sale.

Not telling us the 90% off was for only 20 customers in the whole world up front was scummy and lame. Thousands of people disrupted their lives for this sale. Honestly, as a creator and developer I'd like to feel that I'm a partner with Unity instead of being manipulated into a panic buy situation.

How angry do you think people would be if they waited outside a brick and mortar store for 45 minutes for a 90% sale only to enter the store and be offered a 70% or 50% instead? How angry would they be if they knew there were thousands of people in line that were baited to the store for only 20 units for the price shown?

My 2 cents.

14. Tzirrit

Tzirrit

I should have expected nothing less from Unity. But well...

15. valmyr

valmyr

my experience, it shows 50% on page refresh.

upload_2021-11-15_17-8-50.png

then after a while... (sometimes longer) the rates changed...

upload_2021-11-15_17-9-27.png

This could lead to confusion.

Sabso likes this.
  16. BenHenwood

BenHenwood

I don't think the prices were ever 90% off, I think the intention was that maybe one of the deals is 90% off, the rest are either 70 or 80. It was very misleading labelling them all as 90% off, when that wasn't going to be the price. So don't worry, I'm pretty sure you haven't missed anything by not getting there soon enough, it's just a case of misleading labelling.

17. Tzirrit

Tzirrit

They were all clearly marked as "90% off" in their initial communication leading up to this event. Too bad nobody can verify that, becasue the store was "offline" for the first hour of the sale...

fertel likes this.
  18. BenHenwood

BenHenwood

I agree, but the wording on the web site was also "up to 90% off", even though all of them had a 90% off label.

19. BenHenwood

BenHenwood

For example, these state 90% off, but I'm sure won't be, or at least they won't all be. They'll probably change to just 70% off when the time comes.

20. BenHenwood

BenHenwood

Or maybe I'm wrong as the African big pack was 80% for 50 sales and now it's 70% for 400. Maybe it was 90% for the first 5 or something!!

21. Tzirrit

Tzirrit

They probably were 90% for a very limited supply. Classic bait / fomo / marketing bullsh*t move.

Which would have been OK, if they at least had the decency to make sure their store can handle the expected traffic spike.

I am not even angry any more that I set my alarm to get up early and (try to) buy one or two assets at a steep discount. Can only blame myself for getting my hopes up.

The joke is, that you couldn't even access assets you already purchased, because the entire thing was down :)
    Well.. Unreal is handing out free stuff in the meantime again...

Sabso and Mark_01 like this.
  22. valmyr

valmyr

upload_2021-11-15_19-7-14.png

Obviously not 90%.

Attached Files:

jakesee, Mark_01 and Sabso like this.
  23. valmyr

valmyr

Then changes to this
    upload_2021-11-15_19-8-49.png

24. I bought 4 assets for 90% off. The deal is going this way: the first 20 copies go for 90% off, the next 50 copies go for 80%, the next 400 copies go for 70%... etc. Eventually it drops back to 50% sale when the limited 'lightning sale' copies run out.

25. PutridEx

PutridEx

There's a lot of assets for 70% off right now, and it's around 400 copies so it's hard to miss.

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  26. Tzirrit

Tzirrit

Lucky you :)

critterman likes this.
  27. Rastapastor

Rastapastor

I really like the argument

"Works for me" The epitome of software development :)

28. critterman

critterman

Clearly there should have been a limit then, on how many "super deals" you could purchase, considering most people couldn't even access the site or got booted shortly thereafter.