Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

So Unity doesn't support FBX's with Maya bump maps, but you can use normal maps?

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by cristo, Mar 8, 2016.

1. cristo

cristo

Just to clarify, as I just tried exporting a bump map from Maya to Unity, but don't know whether this is possible. I understand normal maps can be used, but Unity doesn't support FBX's with Maya bump maps because they can't react to real time lighting? Is that right?

2. bgolus

bgolus

I believe any kind of texture data stored in the fbx itself is ignored by Unity. You would have to export the bump map as a texture by itself and have Unity import that. Maya Bump Maps are essentially height maps and the same data can be used for displacement maps, parallax maps, and to generate height maps. If you export the bump map to a texture you can import it as a normal map and check "Create from greyscale".

cristo likes this.
  3. cristo

cristo

Thanks.

4. MingyueMeow

MingyueMeow

Could you pls tell me how to export bump map as a normal map or common texture map?

wolfgang7913 likes this.
  5. bgolus

bgolus

There are literally hundreds of tutorials out there for generating normal maps from modelling tools. This is not the place to find that info.