Search Unity

So tired because regressions after each update !!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SJAM, Oct 15, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murgilod

Murgilod

The problem is that it's a further regression when regressions already been a problem in Unity for years now. It's not just bugs, it's how new bugs are introduced.

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

3. SJAM

SJAM

Ok, but for the bug of additional lights of the final version ?
    Because all bugs I had report here, except the last, are on the final version (2022.1F) too !

Please read the thread before. At start, all is beginning from the final version of Unity 2022.1

Last edited: Oct 22, 2022
  4. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Yeah. Why not?

It's more likely to get attention there than it is here, because this is specifically not a support area.

SJAM likes this.
  5. Ryiah

Ryiah

That's just it. We can read the thread (just in case you've forgotten I was one of the first to respond to this thread) but that has no real value since we're not the people in charge of deciding what receives attention or if it has even been noticed in the first place.

While a few developers (ex-developers at this point as it was mostly just Andy who responded) do come to this section the vast majority of the official developers who are active on these forums keep to the sections that are most appropriate to their assignments.

If you post in the section for the latest beta you at least have a chance of getting noticed by the people who are actively involved in the beta, and one of them might shed some insight on what the problem is and why it keeps coming up.

6. derkoi

derkoi

Doesn't look like it given the amount of posts in the time they joined. :D

SJAM likes this.
  7. SJAM

SJAM

I already sent a bug report...
    I'm tired of doing the beta tester.
    There are so many regressions I'm sick of it and it's not from this version.
    Even if I go to the specific sections, since when you make an error report, your request takes forever to be processed, I don't think in another section it changes anything.

it’s so easy to reproduce this bug, that I don’t understand why nobody find it… and this bug is present on 2022.1f, 2022.2b and 2023.0a

To date, the Android platform is unusable in 3 versions and no one realizes it??? I give up, Unity takes users for testers... is there no quality department?

8. SJAM

SJAM

You know how I found the latest regression in Nearest and FSR Upscale on the 2022.2.12beta ?

I had looked (like always) the bug fixes of the version :

- URP: Fixed FXAA quality issues when render scale is not 1.0.

I knew there would be regression, so I did some tests...
    I've been so used to it for a while, that just by looking at the patch title, I know there's going to be regressions...

Funny, right?

9. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Some people are actually being productive instead of complaining :)

BrandyStarbrite and derkoi like this.
  10. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

The advice to stick to a very specific Unity version if that works for you is solid, but at the same time it's the same as telling you to be careful not to lose a winning lottery ticket if somehow you get your hands on one.

Because chances are, you will be forced to upgrade sooner or later (because of platform requirements, showstopper bugs to new Unity features that only get fixed in newer Unity versions etc) and then you will have to roll the dice on which of the other Unity features you use will have regressed or broken.

Noisecrime, OCASM and SunnySunshine like this.
  11. Ryiah

Ryiah

A bug report only serves to bring it to their attention. What you won't receive with a bug report is a more detailed explanation from the developer on what the problem is and whether they're aware that it is a constant regression.

12. SJAM

SJAM

To be productive, you need tools that don't break every week... I'm an assets developer, not a game developer, so when I release a product, I make sure it works on all platforms and all release versions. If you were talking about me when you were talking about complaining, look how long I've been active and how many messages I've posted... And think those messages were only for my clients. So, when you want to release two assets, but each time I have to postpone their release because of a wobbly final version, excuse me for complaining!

Normally, I don't waste my time on the forum.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2022
    Jingle-Fett likes this.
  13. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

If you did, you'd know that you are day late and dollar short with complaints like this.

It will be completely fruitless and a waste of your own time, even if it had been on the correct channel.

14. koirat

koirat

So basically you are just leeching here, without giving anything in return ?

15. Murgilod

Murgilod

Ah yes, the Unity user is definitely a leech for... uh... using Unity in a developer/client relationship on the forums rather than... something else.

Get over yourself.

16. koirat

koirat

I assume you assume he have never taken any knowledge from the forum ?
    Highly unlikely.

17. Murgilod

Murgilod

No, I'm saying your fundamental premise is flawed and irrelevant. There is no "leeching" unless the only purpose of the forums is that you must give technical information. But even if that was the case, bringing to light the absolute ridiculous severity of Unity's regression issues over time is contributing.

18. SJAM

SJAM

Nope,
    if I don't like forums or participate in useless discussions, it's to avoid people like you, and the useless things you just said.
    Because it is clear that you can give nothing and especially not solve this problem...

Jingle-Fett likes this.
  19. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

The links in his signature includes forum posts for tools he has given away for free, which you'd know if you bothered to click any of them.

MadeFromPolygons, Ryiah and SJAM like this.
  20. SJAM

SJAM

I will update the textures tools to avoid long time reading when the texture is compressed.

EDIT :
    I just finished it, and a lot of people are going to love it!
    Much faster for processing and more possibilities for half the code.
    Available, always for free, in a few hours.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
  21. roka

roka

I talk about this since so many years .....

They push new version without testing and with so much regressions ....

Few exemples :

WebGL Spatial audio (3d) not working (fixed 6 months after):
    WebGL Spatial audio was not available in a "stable" release ! GG boy ! So fun to play an fps game like that !
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/webgl-spatial-audio-3d-not-working.1259451/
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/case-1412752-webgl-spatial-audio-3d-not-working.1266461/

Crunch compression not working on Lightmap file (2020.3.31f1)(fixed 6 months after):
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/crunch-compression-not-working-on-lightmap-file-2020-3-31f1.1255341/

Webgl conflict between the old and new indexedDB code (will be fixed in 2024?):
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/webgl-slow-loading-after-upgrading-to-2022.1325220/

and many more......

We do not have any real "stable" version anymore and have to deal with broken new implementations and/or too much regressions.

Yeah some of you will say make backup, test when you upgrade, nobody force you to upgrade ect ect .....
    So when we upgrade then ? They create 5 new bug when they fix two, so what we do now?

Anyway most of you know the story already.

Jingle-Fett and SJAM like this.
  22. SJAM

SJAM

You said it all !
    Even if some don't want to understand my exasperation...

23. SJAM

SJAM

24. koirat

koirat

You do got me on this one :p

OK @SJAM you deserve some apology from me.
    Please forgive and Keep up the good work :)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
  25. Murgilod

Murgilod

Yeah, why SHOULD Unity fix their regression issues?

SJAM likes this.
  26. koirat

koirat

Damn It went pretty ugly, since I wanted to write it in the beginning and later read the messages, quoted and did not noticed that the beginning of my previous post stayed.

Just forget about "Why anybody should help you .......".

27. vertexx

vertexx

Many thanks for this thread,SJAM. It reinforces that old familiar phrase...Don't "update" for at least two years.
    Probably three years to be more certain of only a dozen or so remaining bugs. And even then don't "update" unless you have to. The "advantages" do not seem to be worth the bother? Just a huge pity that asset devs are "persuaded" to use only the current versions to develop new assets. Hopefully they are still selling?

28. Ryiah

Ryiah

Alternatively, if you must have the latest release, pick an engine that includes full source code.

29. SJAM

SJAM

Don't Update to 2022.1.21F !!
    This time, URP Package is totally broken (not updated) !!!!

Bravo Unity "Devs" Team !!!

There, I really have the nerves !
    Very poorly done work !

upload_2022-10-28_12-6-0.png

Attached Files:

unity_2jxHNVY36zr2mg likes this.
  30. SJAM

SJAM

This is not the case, but for an asset, we must ensure that it works on all final versions. For me, 2020, 2021 and 2022

31. Antypodish

Antypodish

Please do not spam the thread with multiple post one after other. You can use edit to modify your most recent post, if no one has replied yet. Otherwise it introduces mess to the thread.

Other than that, you should use compatible assets with dedicated Unity version. You need ask asset provider.or switch to different compatible asset, or in worse case, fix on your own.

Is there any reason you need to upgrade to 2021 anyway? As far I am aware, mobile aps works just fine with 2020. Please correct me, if I am wrong.

Maybe should change the approach of app making. Instead keeping updating i definatelly, just release under new version, with all new whitles and sparkly features, if needed.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
    DragonCoder likes this.
  32. Murgilod

Murgilod

They covered this earlier.

SJAM likes this.
  33. SJAM

SJAM

Is the thread more readable like this?
    If so, you can read earlier why I use this version.

Hmmm, why using a final version?
    No, in fact why is Unity releasing a new version after all ?
    Maybe not to be used?

EDIT :
    Wait, I have a better question: Why do you use DOTS? (Rhetorical)
    And when the version you're using is no longer supported and you need to upgrade to a newer version, what will you do?
    With people like me, when you're forced to upgrade, you'll be glad I reacted before you used it, right?

Before imagining anything and making a useless post, I invite you to try yourself.
    It's simple, download Unity 2022.1.21f, create a new project in URP: That's it.
    The best thing to do before posting is to have worked on your subject.
    Less time on the forum, more time on Unity...
    And to quote your signature :
    Remember: if my post doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger ;) (I have never read anything more pretentious)

Same problem only worse...
    It's not just mobile, but all platforms... (All platforms for URP package errors and mobile version still have the Additional Lights bug)
    They don't even test the few corrections they make!

upload_2022-10-28_17-21-13.png

Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
    unity_2jxHNVY36zr2mg likes this.
  34. xCyborg

xCyborg

Best bet is to stick with the built-in render pipeline for the time being.

35. arkano22

arkano22

Unfortunately, I can only agree with SJAM. The few times I've used URP it has been an *absolute disaster*: lights going haywire, depth testing ceasing to work, issues with MSAA, issues with post-processing effects... you get a random pack of easily reproducible bugs depending on which Unity/URP versions you use, none of which happen with the built-in pipeline. In fact, stumbled upon this thread while looking for information on depth testing not working on certain Android devices.

User experience while using SRPs (which is the only thing that matters at the end of the day) is atrocious, call me crazy but maybe users shouldn't have to spend days debugging the engine that's supposed to save them time. Worse still, most of these bugs often creep into the products (games/assets) made with Unity since they're not just usability quirks or editor bugs, but core issues.

So my advice to any bystanders, as of 2-Nov-2022: if possible at all, do yourself a favor and do not use URP. Despite Unity's claims, it's not ready for production use in any shape or form.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
  36. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

This issues was verified a fix in 2022.2.0a8, 2022.1.0b3, 2021.2.9f1. I just asked our devs and QA to look at it and we couldn't reproduce on the version you mentioned.

I think at this point we need to have a new bug submitted with repro project. Can you submit that repro?

I also want to share some thoughts on the stability.
    This year we moved to a more robust internal bug tracking system, and that gives us a good overview of the quality state on each release with more accurracy. I'm looking at the situation in each supported version of URP and it seems in a good state. We also rely on the help of everyone to report these bugs so we have a good understanding and prioritization.

On the stability we provide both Tech Stream and LTS. If you are in Tech Stream it's expected that you have less stability. We have a good surface or automation to catch issues, but given the combinatorial explosion of options in the pipeline it's not enough to catch everything under a rapid feature development.

37. SJAM

SJAM

No Bug with URP package and 2022.1.21f on all plateform on new Project ?
    No Bug with Additionals Light Bug in URP + Forward + Android ? (try to remove AO)
    And many others I had listed before (raytracing, GUI Update and more)

I want to believe you, but I can't invent the screenshots... All settings are visible...
    At first, I thought it came from my config which had trouble emulating the rendering :

AMD Ryzen 9 5950x 16C/32T
    ASUS Radeon ROG STRIX LC RX 6900 XT 16G
    ROG Strix X570-E Gaming SAM On
    32go DDR4 3600 MHz
    2 x M.2 Samsung 980 pro 1to
    Windows 11 22H2

But after compiling, I have the same result in VR (Quest 2) or mobile...
    No need for a project, because each time I always start with a new project...

I will do one last test for the package and additional lights problem.
    I can't do anything else for all the other people's problems they posted here.
    I will uninstall all versions of unity, clear ALL Unity cache and get back to you.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2022
  38. SJAM

SJAM

So I uninstalled all Unity versions, Unity Hub, all UNITY folders, deleted all file caches in Appdata/Roaming, Appdata/LocalLow, Appdata/Local and stopped all Unity process + got everything reinstalled.

I don't know how they do their tests, but given the number of people who complain about bugs of all kinds, they don't do it correctly...

Try Yourself, it take 2mn, to install and try

Result, with a new Project / URP / Unity 2022.1.21f :

upload_2022-11-4_15-25-52.png

SAME !

upload_2022-11-4_15-24-9.png

Any Solution ??

Last edited: Nov 5, 2022
  39. Ryiah

Ryiah

I just finished duplicating this on my end and submitted a bug report: IN-22050.

angrypenguin and SJAM like this.
  40. SJAM

SJAM

Thanks Ryiah,

Mine, since 20/Oct/22 : IN-20436
    It is however not difficult to reproduce!
    Two reports, for an easy-to-reproduce bug...
    Fortunately, they have strengthened the quality service ^^

EDIT :
    To say it simply: Unity is completely unusable on all platforms with the latest version, with the URP.
    And on mobile, the extra lights issue makes it completely unusable on Android as well.

No one is using Unity 2022.x.x in URP anymore?

it gives the impression that no one is testing anything... And it's scary for bugs that are more difficult to reproduce...

Last edited: Nov 4, 2022
  41. Ng0ns

Ng0ns

Its not just URP, but HDRP as well.

arkano22 and SJAM like this.
  42. SJAM

SJAM

I hadn't tried it, good to know ;)

It becomes catastrophic...

But apparently they have, supposedly, tested to find my bug (impossible to reproduce)... How did they not see that??

I shouldn't even have to ask this question, but it makes so much sense to me.

Reassure me, the quality department, when it does its tests before validating the delivery, does it do them in a "Real Usage Situation" protocol ?

1 - Do not use the internal version
    2 - the RC version is uploaded to a server.
    3 - The latest version of the HUB too and must be able to access the RC version.
    4 - The tester erases all the files of the previous version tested.
    5 - The tester downloads the latest version of the HUB (Who can access the RC)
    6 - The tester must also download, via the HUB, the RC version (like an user)
    7 - The tester does his tests. (on every Editor plateform Windows/Linux/Mac and all combinaisons Built-in pipeline/SRP/All export plateforms)

If one of these seven steps is not respected, I understand why there are so many problems!
    It's like you don't have any quality service... And you can't reproduce a lot of bugs because of that.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2022
    stain2319 likes this.
  43. SJAM

SJAM

Hmmm, No answer... With a version completely out of service in SRP and online for over a week, I was hoping to at least have an answer to know if the problem was finally reproduced by the testers.

44. Max-om

Max-om

It's interesting to read the official post from unity above, it seems they do not acknowledge there is a regression problem. That's concerning. Until they do things will not turn for the better.

45. SJAM

SJAM

yes, and that's why I posted here, prominently, and not in the middle of a whole bunch of other bugs they don't care about.

46. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

An individual staff member probably can't make such an acknowledgement in a public forum.

SJAM likes this.
  47. SJAM

SJAM

I didn't know that he couldn't just install the editor and create a new project in SRP and send the problem to the appropriate department... Like him, we are not paid to do Alpha testers

48. Max-om

Max-om

There is a deeper problem than just your case. I have seen it all, breaking changes between LTS versions (Breaking changes between minor versions in same LTS). Regression that is fixed and then resurface again. Etc, etc

SJAM likes this.
  49. SJAM

SJAM

I know that for sure. Look at the whole thread, I'm not just talking about the SRP. But of all the regressions... You can't imagine how many times I've read this:

And when I read that... How can I put it? I remain speechless !

In the professional context, you should not “think” that everything is fine, but be SURE that everything is working.

PS :
    Just for information,
    when I say “we're not paid to do something”, it's a language tic.
    It's just to say that it's not up to us to do this job...
    It is difficult to translate an expression from my country into another language because there are a large number of words (with the same meaning, but not the same weight) for a single English word...
    Maybe I'll do like the young people, and put smileys everywhere :p

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
  50. EricFFG

EricFFG

The issues are painful
    Thankfully we are not on URP at least

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.