Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

So this is reality...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deleted User, Aug 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chelnok

chelnok

Poor OP must be quite confused of all the replies. But then again, like it says in title; this is reality.

angrypenguin and Joe-Censored like this.
  2. Murgilod

Murgilod

tfw your thread is more popular than your game

3. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

A year or so maybe? Most of them now have options to not use the bagging area. They found it wasn't a theft deterrent anyway, so there was no point to it. The queue is always shared between about a dozen terminals, which eliminates the problem of getting stuck behind someone who has trouble with the machine.

Yeah, for alcohol you'll want to use a manned checkout.

Burn!

4. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

I always go to the machines, because people are usually slower and a lot of times they are weird. The other day, for instance, I politely asked a cashier how their day was going, and they started to complain about stuff waaay to personal to be discussing with a total stranger. I get that standing there sucks and all, but like, you've still got to have a filter.

Less trouble with the machines, all things considered.

Ryiah likes this.
  5. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Personally I don't mind when you ask someone how they're going and they give an honest answer. If I'm not prepared to hear it I shouldn't ask. There are other casual greetings I could use, and at least their response demonstrates they were listening and not autopiloting.

They've been here for maybe three years, and are still unreliable. On average at least one thing goes wrong per use, I think. Small purchases are often ok, large ones usually run into some issue. Complaining about my bag is a common one, despite supermarkets here supposedly trying to push the use of reusable bags.

The whole weight-table-as-theft-deterrent thing never made sense to me. It only makes stealing stuff harder if you're otherwise rigidly following their intended workflow, and if you're stealing stuff there's a good change you're used to figuring out how to get around what other people want you to do.

Now, if they had a game designer working on those things...

Ony, pk_Holzbaum, Ryiah and 1 other person like this.
  6. Unknown33

Unknown33

I choose the third option.

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

Our local grocery store (Food Lion) has a worker that is able to memorize just about everyone shopping there regularly and she's very talkative. Half the fun of going there is seeing how much she's remembered about the previous conversations.

Ony and Kiwasi like this.
  8. FMark92

FMark92

Africa, I choose you!

Unknown33 likes this.
  9. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Or you go to the state monopoly liquor store and buy the real stuff. Also they by law are forced to ask for ID if you look younger than 25. its always a fun social experiment if they think you look younger than 25 (I'm 38). Once I went there with both my kids and they ID me. :D

Unknown33 likes this.
  10. Unknown33

Unknown33

We will spit on dem, my brudda.

FMark92 and Player7 like this.
  11. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

"Slay the Spire" made virtually nothing for its first two weeks on Steam, then it was covered by a popular Youtuber in China, which led to more Youtube videos, and the game ended up making millions of dollars. It's all about getting the word out to people who might be interested. Steam alone won't do that very well. I would send free keys to Youtubers who 1) regularly showcase similar games; and 2) have a decent following (they don't need to have millions of subscribers, in fact the mid-range Youtube channels are more likely to play your game since they don't get as many free keys). You can find the Youtube channel's contact email address in the "About" section of the channel.

Unknown33 likes this.
  12. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

Or you could make a game that deliberately irritates people like Zoe Quinn or Anita Sarkesian, and they might unwittingly give you free publicity. So long as they don't succeed in convincing Steam or your publisher to simply censor the game completely.
    But I think the best strategy is to stay away from controversy and simply email free keys to Youtubers who might play your game.

Unknown33 likes this.
  13. neoshaman

neoshaman

I'm not sure Zoe or Anita set out to irritates people deliberately ... but then gamer loves when Hideaki Kamiya openly insult and banned them for simple questions.

Ony likes this.
  14. Unknown33

Unknown33

Being controversial is easy. Just say things that are true without apologizing for them.

But be polite, and gentlemanly. That somehow makes it, like, omg 10,000x worse.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    HonoraryBob and Joe-Censored like this.
  15. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Especially if the things said challenge a popular politically motivated narrative.

HonoraryBob and Unknown33 like this.
  16. neoshaman

neoshaman

Yeah the narrative that women don't play or sell games, that was forced down the throat of every dev, it was pretty bad during the 2000. I mean every dev had a story about publisher pressure them to get rid of that.

I worked on a game where the main character and antagonist were women (there was very few woman on the team too lol), it was the first game where the character did things like touching the wall, but publisher was like "ew why a woman"? In the end we caved in and retargeted the animation to a man to find a new publisher. Game was a bit ahead of the time two, with an innovative movement system that predated Assassin's creed parkour system, but more complete, was well receive in preview, but ultimately was not picked up.

The weird thing is that we had precedent like sailor moon, buffy and Xena having plenty success, but who would let facts, the market and objectivity be the basis of argument! Gut instincts (ie their own political agenda) is what sold game in their mind, that's why we moved from 123 AAA devs to less than 23 now, which is like the big soft video game crash of the last decade, symbolized by the fall of THQ, because all product started to look like the same. Sales started to picked up back tailing the wind of the movement toward diversity, which is why every publisher cater to that too, but since they are still only doing lip services, only the big one that commit to it fully have reward (see naughty dogs, guerilla games, nintendo, ubi soft).

That mentality ended up in the huge backlash we are still seeing now in the 2010.

Not_Sure, frosted, Ony and 1 other person like this.
  17. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Australians approach to liquor control is the same as the American approach to gun control. I'm pretty sure a state monopoly on alcohol sales would be against the constitution somehow :p.

18. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Not quite..... Got breathelizer tested at a checkpoint in Melbourne just driving across town. There's no gun search check points when driving across town in America :p

Kiwasi likes this.
  19. Unknown33

Unknown33

*cough*

Lack of diversity is a manufactured crisis.

"Make females talk to each other" is a great piece of advice that all writers receive now.

*looks at a book written for a primarily female audience for ideas what women think and talk about*

*thinks about all conversations between women overheard on buses and in public places*

*thinks about all conversations I have ever had with women*

Uncomfortable clothing and general complaints about workplace and home-related issues, and food. It doesn't really fit in my epic space opera about good vs. evil and the fundamental nature of truth, authority, submission and individual liberty and salvation, but I can shoehorn in some convos about how painful space boots are and how delicious space yogurt is.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    HonoraryBob likes this.
  20. Tzan

Tzan

My super market, a bit south from Boston, has started IDing everyone since April this year.
    I was behind an 80 year old woman who had to rummage thru her purse looking for an ID.

AndersMalmgren and Unknown33 like this.
  21. MisterSkitz

MisterSkitz

The $20 might be enough to spread the word. 100 people talk to 100 more, and the next 100, and so on. :)
    But congrats on finishing your game and publishing it! Wow, a remarkable feat bro! I can't wait until the time comes that I finally complete a game! It's not easy, my friend!
    The best advice I can give you is to keep at it. Learn from this experience, and pay more attention to what people don't like about it rather than what they do. Adapt these improvements into your next game, or perhaps revise the game and relaunch.

Good luck to ya! :)

22. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

So they just try to ruin developers who don't do their bidding, but aren't trying to be irritating?

23. Murgilod

Murgilod

Do you think maybe women only talk to you about surface level S*** because they don't want to engage with you on any other level?

Because I can pretty much promise you that's the case.

Ony, zombiegorilla, Ryiah and 2 others like this.
  24. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

I don't think that's what Joe-Censored probably meant by "politically motivated narrative"; but in any event, I think in the year 2000 the vast majority of gamers actually were likely male even if that has changed since then. And it goes both ways: a few years ago, a company representative - who was a woman - told me that her company only caters to older women, who she claimed only play things like Match-3 games, hidden-object games, and cooking games with a sympathetic main character. That's the only type of game she would take, so she didn't want mine.

Unknown33 likes this.
  25. Unknown33

Unknown33

You can guarantee what potentially hypothetical people you have never met are hypothetically thinking based on situational criteria unavailable to you, due to a complete lack of pertinent details, based on cursory perceptions of a persona you have briefly interacted with through anonymous accounts on a discussion forum that is heavily moderated and geared primarily toward a particular game engine, although some off topic posting is occasionally permitted as long as its civil.

That makes you the greatest intuitive mind of our time, at least. Far better than Sherlock Holmes.

HonoraryBob likes this.
  26. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Or it's a "crisis" you don't care about because it doesn't effect you.

I don't know that "crisis" is the right word, but it's definitely an issue that we should be working to improve upon.

27. Unknown33

Unknown33

That's what I always see older ladies playing. Bubble Witch, Bejeweled or a similar game.

28. Murgilod

Murgilod

You're not that deep, buddy.

Ony, neoshaman, chelnok and 3 others like this.
  29. Unknown33

Unknown33

For entirely manufactured reasons. I could walk outside and go down the dock and see that there are no women fisherman. I could surmise that commerical fishing must be filled with sexism, and that the only reason there aren't more women fisherman is because of this, or that reason... but then again, of the fisherman I have met, they don't enjoy the job at all and only do it for a paycheck. We can speculate all day but the lack of diversity in a given field of work isn't really of any concern to anyone.

And it's completely subjective, to boot.

What if workplace composition exactly mirrors applicants to that job? No biases are reflected, just reality.

The suggestion that reality is wrong because it doesn't reflect an arbitrarily determined speculative quota is something I have a great deal of difficulty hearing offered as an argument.

30. Unknown33

Unknown33

Well, anyways...

31. Unknown33

Unknown33

"This space yogurt is sooo good but if I keep eating it I won't be able to fit into my space boots, anymore." --Montgomery Kimble, commander of Earth's satellite defense station, and totally serious character you can totally relate to and also learn about life and stuff from.

32. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

First of all, the gender split in employment numbers isn't the point. The problem is how some groups are commonly treated. And I'm not hypothesizing on this. I am speaking from personal experience.

Secondly, symptoms may well reflect biases. It's incredibly shortsighted to shrug and say a group didn't get the jobs because they didn't apply for them. Even putting aside the distinct odor of victim blaming, are you honestly telling me that an industry's attitude and behaviour is not an influence on which career paths and jobs people choose to follow?

I don't care what the industry is or which group we're talking about. If a group is being mistreated then that should stop. The fact that the same might happen in other industries is no excuse for us not to improve ours.

Ony likes this.
  33. Unknown33

Unknown33

As much as I might tend to agree with the idea that people in need of help should be helped, I find that the co-mingling of political forces and this new sort of pseudomorality of "helping x disadvantaged group because x-ism" may be little more than a tactic to enact policy changes that only a decade ago would have been untenable.

Politically motivated entities have pushed this agenda in western nations that "x group has too much y" and in many instances, this is true. Life isn't fair. That said, there's been this shift in popular sentiment that it's actually moral to steal a certain amount of y from x group, as long as you can justify it with an x-ism. Nobody wants to be an x-ist afterall. And it has worked wonders.

But to what end? Is the world a much better place today than it was 50 years ago? TV says yes.

I am okay with being labeled an x-ist because I know that labels don't actually *do* anything. They are arbitrary, capricious. What is greed today may be called business savvy tomorrow. What is wicked today will be righteous in due time. What I think people will soon see is that they have been sucked up into this bizarro world where you sell your children and your farm to avoid being labeled an x-ist because some unseen, recently defined sense of justice is of the utmost importance whilst all else having preceded is now of no consequence.

The West has made some shortsighted decisions in the last 10 years. And we are going to pay for every one of them in full, nobody is going to say, "actually group x was cheated we need to reverse some of the changes"... nah, justice in this instance had a hand on the scales and we were simply blinded by our desire to be seen as moral. Ironic and sad when your desire to do good is taken advantage of, but that's how I view it now.

34. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

No it's not.

Yeah, and what do men talk about all the time? Replace clothing with sports perhaps, but the "general complaints about workplace and home-related issues, and food" part is the same. Did you perhaps consider that if people, male or female, were in an epic space opera, they might not talk about clothing/sports, but something more space-opera-y? People talk about mundane stuff because their lives are mundane. Put them in a non-mundane situation, and they might talk about that.

You apparently think you're "tellin' it like it is, maaaaaaan," but actually you're missing the mark so much it's amusing; not sure if that's deliberate (i.e. trolling) or not.

No there hasn't. What actually happens is that people who are used to being on top and taking stuff for themselves get angry when other people want the same. To them, being equal = losing. I'm sure you see it as "but they're stealing from meeeeeeeee!" but in reality people just want equal footing.

--Eric

35. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Probably not.

The fundamental needs of humanity don't change. Put humans on a spaceship, and they will discuss space weather, the local space sports team, the latest spaceship TV show and space fashion.

This is regardless of gender. Male or female, most of human conversation is relatively mundane.

36. FMark92

FMark92

The sh*t we go through to acquire pu**y, man...

Unknown33 likes this.
  37. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Maybe she looked younger than 25? :D

38. FMark92

FMark92

It's politically incorrect to assume age. Remember all those economic migrant children?

Unknown33 and AndersMalmgren like this.
  39. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

hehe :D Apparently our forefathers almost drank themself to death at the turn of the century so they enforced that law. Similar to the prohibition in the US, but here it stuck. Though there is one upside to it. Since the state monopoly is the biggest importer of alcohol in the world they get very good prices from vineyards, so fine wine and champagne is actually cheaper here than rest of the world. Beer and spirits though, not so much.

I'm generally against monopoly though, specially state ones

edit: They also have very good supply of different wine, beer and champagne. And if they dont have something they are forced to import it for you.

40. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Most women only have a problem if you assume a older age than the actual one :p

41. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Depends. State monopolies on infrastructure make sense. There is no point having duplicate sets of roads, rail lines or water pipes. State monopolies are also useful on things that aren't profitable (and therefore won't be properly served by the free market), things like education, health, public transport and so on.

42. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Go live in a socialist country a few years and your views will change :D Though I agree, police etc shouldn't be private. Healthcare, we have the most expensive healthcare in the world at least if you have a good income. And you have to wait for years to get a hip fixed etc. My wifes uncle got ALS (Like Stephen Hawking) and he got the diagnos one year after the first symptoms and they could administer medicin that slow down the process, though after one year the man could not walk anymore.

43. FMark92

FMark92

I disagree. Everything should be private.

44. Ryiah

Ryiah

Internet access being private is part of the problem with it in the United States.

45. FMark92

FMark92

46. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I am. Australia isn't quite as socialist as Sweden, but its certainly up there.

47. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

ISP being private is not a problem, its just a ISP. Maybe if the infrastructure of the fiber was private their could be problems
    hmm, so if your wife are being raped she first need to prove to the police that she have paid the last invoice before they stop the perp? :D

48. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Your country is ultra right compared to Sweden :p

FMark92 likes this.
  49. Ryiah

Ryiah

United States ISPs often own the infrastructure. Verizon? Telephone/fibre-based and they own it. Comcast? Cable-based and they own it. Wild Blue? Satellite-based and they own it. I can't remember the names of other ISPs but those are three of the big ones in my area. A small time ISP would have to compete with them which is almost impossible.

50. FMark92

FMark92

This, my dude. My S***hole is more socialist than AU. But less less than SWE.

Why you gotta troll with assumptions of how things would work, man?
    If she didn't have the foresight to subscribe to a private police service that could easily identify her as a paying client, sure. Should be as easy as checking her retina and checking the corresponding ID in the payment database.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.