Search Unity

So speedtree

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by N1warhead, Dec 10, 2021.

1. Claytonious

Claytonious

@XFROG_INC , do your assets work well with GPUInstancer? Do they work well with the URP render pipeline? Do you offer (or plan to offer) any shaders or are they strictly 3d models?

An alternative to the languishing SpeedTree which has gone nowhere since unity acquired it would be great.

2. Claytonious

Claytonious

I'm trying to parse those words, but hooo boy, it's giving me a headache.

Looking at the new website you linked to, it still looks like a whole bunch of packs of maybe-prohibitively-high-polygon models (and maybe 2d billboard textures) which are probably intended for archviz or 3d video rendering but not realtime games, but it's really hard to tell since it's all deliberately generic wording that seems designed to appeal to everyone or something.

Like it always has.

Games have very special needs around performance. If you offer products that are useful in games, that website should say so and let us see those things in their own category, separately. It should be specific about the polygon counts, etc of what's offered.

This is what was special about SpeedTree before it was interned into the abyss of unity acquisitions, where promising products go to die.

newguy123 likes this.
  3. newguy123

newguy123

@XFROG_INC could you send me a link to the package please in PM?

Also a question, that bundle of 3000 plants, is that Unity HDRP ready and already have animation etc, or controlable wind animation in Unity?

I dont see Unity or HDRP listed as supported filetype in any of the downloadable items

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
  4. newguy123

newguy123

What are these created with? For example, if we wanted animated wind versions for 3ds Max, would we need to manualy animate them with various noise and poly edit modifiers, or is there a supported feasture that manke them easily animatable in 3ds Max?

5. gjaccieczo

gjaccieczo

I'm not familiar with Speedtree but how well does it translate into non-realistic artstyles?