Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

So project cleanup... and other annoyances

Discussion in '5.5 Beta' started by Player7, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Player7

Player7

I've got prefabs/gameobjects in the scene with missing scripts... only when I try to remove these components soon as I click remove the editor crashes.. seems this issue has been around for a years looking into it.

No script errors, can even play test the game without issue, only the disabled and missing components cannot be removed, and I try delete any of these gameobjects from the scene hierarchy it also causes the editor to crash. 5.5.0f1 (yeh I'll get around to sending a bug report)

I tried putting these same prefabs(without scripts) into another project and removing the missing script components.. and it worked fine no crashes. The reported bug I had before has now disappeared and is not an issue and yet I'm left with a new project with scene/prefabs that will break the editor if I try clean up the missing scripts.. but the reported bug with https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/c...-in-text-file-projectsettings-5-5-0f1.442596/ no longer happens for me now.

Anyway Unity really should have some better project management tools in place.. things like finding missing scripts that are on components, short of actually looking at all prefabs/gameobjects yourself, its all bit naff really. Yeh I've seen a few scripts laying about the internet unity answer hub that attempt a solution to detect and remove, can we not get professional on this, the console logs script errors but components with missing scripts.. that's just eh left out, not even warning message on them?

Then the case of wanting to reduce project size, programs like maya/afterfx etc etc and others have had project archiving feature for years now, and it helps alot... yeh its more complicated here with scripts and how developers may have there own custom way of using assets that editor might not detect, but even something that gets 99% of the job done in reducing the amount of files in the project that are not used or referenced in the scene, prefabs, scripts that the editor can detect being needed...its kinda practically already done when building for a platform.. sure would help when it comes to sending in a bug report...and project spring cleaning.. yknow because downloading assets from the store can be a mess for projects with certain ways authors package there stuff.. and it doesn't help that unity doesn't really have a plugin system that contains this stuff better when you want to uninstall a package. ie 2 packages that use standard assets for example.. you keep one but if you remove the folder they both dumped there stuff into..yknow its just a mess. this stuff should be improved on at the core/editor design, not further store assets that attempt to try provide a solution ... install the package uninstall package to manage uninstalling other packages... and it its still mess.

And I'm still annoyed that you have not come up with a decent solution for "Missing Script", can we not a human readable record of the said missing scripts actual filename or something here, i don't even care if its stored in some completely different project setting file and not in the meta. Supposedly some solution to this was attempted but shot down for some reason i think it was mentioned at one of unite events, the reason made sense.. what didn't make sense is why it got left without a workable solution again!

2. Player7

Player7

This offending project submitted, case: 855554 (heh almost 55555)

3. pahe

pahe

Yeah, the missing script thing is pretty annyoing. Tried to write a script which should find and remove missing script components, but even that crashed when it tried to access the missing component. Seems not to be easy to do it, else I think the Unity guys would have fixed it :)

As a note: I would be interested in a solution for the missing script component, if there is one.

4. Player7

Player7

FYI Unity QA tracked the bug for my project to down to the clipboard plugin...

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/54863
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/50686

So my missing scripts can now be removed without crash without that plugin on 5.5 (maybe a fix on Unity side of things to get it running again in the future or the developer fixes it) Anyway I hadn't directly used the plugin on the submitted bugged project in 5.5 (though used it a lot in 5.4) but no compile errors from the plugin meant that I just kept it in the project assets.

I feel like its just another area where Unity should bring in an optional plugin system to allow end users to handle editor assets/scripts like this and enable/disable them quicker in any projects (especially to rule out weird issues in beta releases quicker). As they are the type of editor plugins I will want in any Unity project I'm working on, but when you start getting bugs or using beta versions, the extra hassle of manually removing these type of editor plugins out of your project is more of hassle than it really should be. Obviously something like the lines of Unreal editor plugin system would be useful :)