Search Unity

so my medieval fps rts survival game....

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by radar089, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

May I ask, is the focus going to be on survival, expansion, or both?

Also, love Tribes.

2. radar089

radar089

Both, location of your base or building locations isnt important as long as its not near an area with mobs. if it is, they will attack civilians or you. this isnt good because civilians generate money. you will need some cash to hire out all these soldiers i guess.

if you want to drop a ai spawner (drop pod, combat post, barracks, whatever it may be) close to a enemy outpost and let them all fight, thats cool too. i am trying to map out a system in my head for territory control. I know i can already do it, destorying an object (wont be easy) that is the source of enemys in the area. i had a test going that worked fine, and it even made the color of the lights on the building change to a neutral color like white/regular light instead of red.

this muzzleflash script is pi***** me off.

3. radar089

radar089

fixed the muzzleflash on ai :)

4. radar089

radar089

Ally with taclight with cookie on helmet, flare x 2, and spotlight. you cant tell becouse im aiming at the sky but that rifle im holding also has a "taclight" attached to it. you craft it onto a rifle without a light.. if anyone cares to see this stuff.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  5. LiberLogic969

LiberLogic969

Sounds very interesting. Would love to see some screen shots etc. I believe the game you where thinking of is "Natural Selection". Very fun game :)

6. radar089

radar089

Thanks! Sadly i have never played natural selection but i hear it is good. Although i dont think its anything like what this game will be. Got my drop pods working last night. Wish i could shell out 250$ for a characters pack that has everything i could hope to find in it. And another 25$ for some other characters.Maby next week. I cant find any alien creatures that arent killing machines. Part of this game is about survival. Gotta hunt some space deer ya know. Lol

7. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Haaaaaaa.... that's relevant to a recent Jim Sterling outrage. I hope you change things up more than some other games have ;)

At least it seems like you're trying too. As for your building issue, what have you tried? Do you have some sort of chunking system or is the entire map always loaded? You can save out a text file or json or whatever of things people have made. It can have the asset name, maybe a few constructor arguments for when it needs to be loaded again, and some coordinates for where it is.

it's got nothin on tremulus.

8. radar089

radar089

yeah no im not just going to replace all the models in UnitZ and call it mine, i know better. i have a few scripts i wrote and i am using the asset in a whole different way then the author intended. as for chunking thats speaking french too me as far a coding goes. the full world will be loaded, but i am trying to optimize optimize optimize as much as i can. hell if my pc from 2003 can run it, anyone can.

9. radar089

radar089

and what did you mean by thats relevant to a jim sterling outrage, you lost me there.

10. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Several recent greenlight submissions were unitz with little to no changes. One game in fact had literally no changes, heh. Someone paid $50 to them, $100 to valve... and then hit the build & upload buttons.

11. radar089

radar089

oh yeah dude i know what your talking about. so shame full. I have seen multiple "dungeon Breakers" games be released with little to no change at all. what the hell. i cant believe they even pass green light.

12. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I don't think you need to worry, but if Jim sniffs out the unitz core on your page, it'll either have a rougher review OR he'll uphold it as an example of how to properly use assets, thereby giving rise to several other positive reviews and a handful of purchases from his community.

Good luck :3

The first fps rts I played was wonderful. I think it was raven squad. You could control the squad like an rts and have them take cover / attack as a group... or you could go first person and shoot people. It was very well done. If you can do similar in your game but it's sandbox-y and such, I'll be tempted to get it. Or work on it in exchange for a copy :p

13. radar089

radar089

Yeah I hear ya, I would invite him to give me a review and send him a copy for sure.I watched some videos last night pretty cool guy. See, I needed UnitZ framework, I couldn't code all that from the ground up. I wrote a muzzle flash script for the ai the other night because he didn't have it added yet. That was tough for me... so, anyways, I have already deviated from UnitZ allot. sometimes I think to myself, did he even realize what kind of stuff could be done with the scripts he has in the asset? An ore collector that drops the ore right beside it isn't what he intended for UnitZ but I did it using his own scripts. I do this allot actually, using scripts in ways not intended.

I have never played a fps/RTS but I can tell ya this, there won't be an option to switch to an overhead camera. Everything will be fps.

14. radar089

radar089

I appreciate everyone comments. Y'all have no idea how nice it is to have a conversation with like minded people. I live in the south. "Nuff said". And its just me and my son, no free time to meet people.

15. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

That's good to hear about changing up unitz so much. I'm sure he'll appreciate it greatly, haha. Sounds like a pretty solid framework, I guess it's no surprise that so many people are using it. What kind of technology is the ore collector? Or is that just a script you made for the process of users collecting ore? Was that a huge accidental spoiler? haha

I can't imagine living in a place where all of those church-state-separation violating laws are springing up. What good was breaking away from britain because of an oppressive theocracy if the end result is an even more oppressive theocracy? I think we should just get it over with and rename the southern half of north america "Saudi America". But that's a political thread destroyer for another less fortunate thread :)

16. radar089

radar089

As far as fluff goes I haven't thought about how the ore collectors work. I may consult some friends on that.

Yeah tell me about it. I live in sc. And I'm atheist.

17. radar089

radar089

And I don't think its a political issue. Politics reflect a populations opinions. I think the issue is just ignorant people in positions of power. Is that a redundant statement?

18. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Ouch. I have family in north carolina defending the recent "family values" pizza shop and flower shop controversies. I can't imagine what south carolina is like :p

Is there any chance bringing down corrupt leaders will be part of your game? hah

19. radar089

radar089

so, it always amazed me how women in NC have such thicker southern accents then women in SC. Bringing down currupt leaders? nah... not yet. this game has a quest system just like minecraft. none.

20. radar089

radar089

hey question while i have you! my drop pod, when the drop pod falls and hits the ground i want it to play a partical effect and sound. im using a rigid body to make it fall right now but if i make an animation i can use the animation keys to tell unity to play the sound and effect correct?

21. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

The achievements technically provide a pretty solid progression and quest line, ending with the ender dragon's death :p

The animation might run more efficiently since it won't be using physics, but that's getting into art stuff which I cannot answer. If you want to stick with physics for now, you can detect hitting the ground either by tagging the ground, putting the ground on a layer, OR checking for collision.contacts[0].normal.y > 0, which means that the object's bottom hit something.

Or rather that the impact normal was up, meaning it hit something downward... I don't know how to describe this correctly haha.

22. radar089

radar089

so an if statement saying that "collision.contacts[0].normal.y > 0"

and then ill have too look up, how to say play sound and effect? sound about right?

but i think the animation key will be easier.

23. radar089

radar089

i think i would go for achievements before quests. would take me awhile to figure out how to link that with UnitZ, if i buy or use a free asset. i couldn't code that yet :(

24. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I don't know how flexible animations can be. If it's something you can picture in your mind how it's going to work the same way every time, then go with an animation. If you want to drop things from variable heights and want them to activate on the first thing they hit, go with code. Unless someone more familiar with animations can guide you better.

As for the collision bit...

Code (CSharp):
    1. void OnCollisionEnter(Collision coll)
    2. {
    3.     //y > 0 or y == 1 just checks for the object landing downward
    4.     if(coll.contacts[0].normal.y == 1)
    5.     {
    6.         audiosource.play();
    7.         particlesystem.play();
    8.     }
    9. }
    You can attach empty objects to your object that contain particle systems and audio sources that all play when you have this collision event.

Achievements are probably easier to lay out than quests, since with quests people expect some kind of story or npc to give them. How about for achievements, you make a tree structure? :D

Make a base class that is an achievement and make one of its variables a list of that same class. Then you can easily use that to make branching achievements! Also a good way to design a tech tree / skill tree, or however you were going to go about progressing.

--edit

I thought of a way to clearly demonstrate this lol. This code will show you what I cannot put into words :p

Code (CSharp):
    1. void OnCollisionEnter(Collision coll)
    2. {
    3.    Debug.Log(coll.contacts[0].normal);
    4. }
    --edit 2

You seem to have a little money to spend and a problem I could easily solve. Aside from trying to achieve the role of the community jester, I also prey on people & projects of this description ^-^

You may be in need of a multi-purpose tree class that I could make with a few examples showing how it can be used to organize achievements, quests, skills, etc.

25. radar089

radar089

how do i specify the audio and particle prefabs the script will activate?

26. radar089

radar089

lets talk about that in a few weeks maby a month or more. this project isnt a rush but it is living. im tied up with some auto repair bills currently :( achievements would be cool, but i also would need you to explain in the code how to make a gui image appear, maby even a list of the achievements. i can alter gui textures and position and all that, but i dont know how to call them from a script yet.

27. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

If this only happens once, it could be its own script that is removed after the event happens. I would recommend saving the particle script as a prefab and making a public variable on your script (of type ParticleSystem), then in the inspector dragging your prefab onto it. Then you can use that reference.play.

I'm graduating in a few weeks, and I've got 6 weeks of teaching work sometime between now and then. But after that... I'll have nothing to do while searching for a job. I may use that time to very cheaply provide assistance to a few unity projects, since I burned out on my own projects by making prototypes for all of them in school.

28. radar089

radar089

i see!

29. radar089

radar089

what is your major? my degree is on hold for the time being. associates in medical science. half of my credits were awarded to me by my university for my military experience as a medic.

30. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

That's pretty cool.

I'm getting my major in IT and my specialization is game design haha. It doesn't sound like a serious degree, but its given me a ton of programming practice, I've had to deal with networking and security, I've had to come up with serialization and deserialization for some projects, etc. Game design covers a lot of things, just like information technology does. I wouldn't mind ending up in a normal programming job or a game company, but ultimately I'd like to end up teaching... so I can have a fresh collection of minds to prey on every few months...

I'll eat your brains, but you will survive :p

31. radar089

radar089

I have a buddy who is still in school for IT and got hired already lol. He brings down 2400 a month

32. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Ouch, that's rough. All of the classes I've taken, you're supposed to be around $56k for your entry position. Though I could see $2400 a month if it was a game dev job since you get whatever they can afford to pay you.

My teacher said you should try to do better every 2 years, whether that means finding a new job or a better position within your current company. Because you're worth your experience above all else. It's kind of a shame that skill factors solely into keeping a job and nothing else until you've had years of experience :/

33. radar089

radar089

Hey if anyone is interested i was just checking out some sci-fi stuff at arteria3d and you can get a year membership for 13.50! it was 189$ a few days ago, the sale ends in like 7 hours.