Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

So, it's been a while. I see some things have changed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by crandellbr, Aug 31, 2022.

1. crandellbr

crandellbr

I went years without posting on these forums. The usual story of burn out - I had more ambition than money, my projects dragged on because I couldn't find or afford the people I needed, and I got discouraged to the point where I dropped off the grid. I even took a six-month break to play with stocks, day trading and learning how to write a web crawler for tracking news. Anyway, I'm back now, since this is what I'm most skilled in and passionate about.

I guess it doesn't matter much in the short-term, but Unity's long-term health seems questionable. The engine feels bloated with slacking QC and the company looks directionless. Unity acquired another company infamous for malware, and we have an empty suit from EA as CEO now, insulting developers? How did he even get here? If it wasn't for inertia and my dislike of C++, I probably would've switched to Unreal years ago. It goes to show how much I've been out of the loop that I had no idea Godot existed until a coworker mentioned it recently. I don't know how feature-rich Godot is, but I'm glad there's another alternative to Unity.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2024
  2. Murgilod

Murgilod

Why are you treating this as a new development? He's literally been CEO since 2014. I looked at your profile and most of your posts have been made while he was CEO.

3. crandellbr

crandellbr

His open disrespect of the userbase is new. That's what generated headlines and drew my attention. If Riccitiello has been CEO this entire time, it's little wonder Unity has been focused on growth at the cost of meaningful additions and quality assurance.

4. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Have you watched the interview in its entirety, or just a youtube blurb repeating things out of context?

I know I haven't (still on my list right after I finished watching Carmack's speeches) until then I tend to believe this has simply been blown out of proportion, as is the "bloat" argument. You could say Godot is not bloated and mean it in a positive way, or you could say Godot is really rather limited compared to Unity. It's just a matter of perspective and, unfortunately, a lot more about public opinion formed by influencers (the Fox News of the Internet, so to speak). ;)

DragonCoder likes this.
  5. Stardog

Stardog

It can't really be bloated if most of the things are packages. It feels slow because they show a progress bar and it gets hung up on things we think should be fast like repainting the editor. The comments about malware are just hysteria.

I'm waiting for some announcement like UE5 had, but I don't think anything's coming. It's just business as usual.

DragonCoder likes this.
  6. TonyLi

TonyLi

Jason Weimann recently interviewed John Riccitiello:

If one has only read clickbait headlines to this point, it's worth watching to get a sense of where Unity is headed.

Ryiah and DragonCoder like this.
  7. Murgilod

Murgilod

I read a transcript of the entire interview, it doesn't make things better.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  8. xjjon

xjjon

You mention you took a long break and now come back asking about clickbait articles and headlines. The "journalists" seem to do a good job. Are they the ones using Unity and making games? Who is the userbase being disrespected?

I think if you really want to see what's new with development you should look at the games being made with Unity. There are many new great titles out there made with Unity.

9. Rastapastor

Rastapastor

Editor is slower than it used to be. Engine is not super stable on LTS verisions untill multiple hotfixes.

I feel engine is focus mostly on mobile and film industry. When it comes to PC gaming and high end consoles...well its quite blurry :). But maybe recent dramas will shake some things inside Unity, one can hope so we get some love outside of mobile :).

As to where company is heading...heck knows, they grow too fast buying out too many...I guess they head to the place where they want to finally make money. Dunno if that works and when will it work :)

10. crandellbr

crandellbr

I'm aware Riccitiello's comment was directed at devs who don't focus on monetization. My priority is my portfolio, but I still want to make money. His comment doesn't necessarily apply to me, or even to most of us. Still, it shows poor leadership - not to mention a lack of class - to be that vulgar toward any segment of the userbase. He wouldn't have felt the need to apologize if the optics on that weren't terrible. Not that I trust the sincerity of someone who clearly prioritizes the bottom line over engine stability and feature requests from the people who actually use his product.

11. kdgalla

kdgalla

I say the opposite. Nothing you mentioned in the OP makes any difference to me as I continue to develop my project. Unity has made incremental improvements to DOTS and the SRPs, but it feels slow to me. Also, performance improvements in many core features (So, I hear. Haven't noticed the difference). No new features have been announced in a long time (that I've noticed). I think that Unity's biggest problem now is precisely that nothing has changed. Not in a long while.

PanthenEye and crandellbr like this.
  12. tatoforever

tatoforever

It also shows he is a human being with emotions. But can we please stop this Ritticiello brawling? He made a mistake and asked publicly for apologies and we commented over and over on countless threads about it. Can we move on now?

BABIA_GameStudio and ippdev like this.