Search Unity

So I am new too this.

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Labinator, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Labinator

Labinator

I really dont know where to begin since I just open it up and confused, I know how to do very very little, was wondering if anyone can like help me over skype or something just go over basics then maybe advance further :) reply though please with anything you have! I have a general sense of a type of gaming I would like to create but confused on how to do so haha thanks a head of time!

2. Ostwind

Ostwind

3. Labinator

Labinator

Notice the "Community" section... lol... The tutorials are for games that are already made :( but sure ill start out with a "basic" tutorial.

4. Ostwind

Ostwind

5. Labinator

Labinator

That is pretty neat I must say! I have a question, have you heard of the game title "Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" by any chance? I want to compose a game, in that sort of sense, nothing to do with the Legend Of Zelda! Just more less the scenery and lay out of the game, if you have played it or could look it up do you think it is possible to do a game filled with dungeons, and exploration, and collecting etc?

6. Ostwind

Ostwind

AdamScura likes this.
  7. Labinator

Labinator

Okay, so that is the (VERY) first thing I should do since I just opened it up, im on a new porject and I should do those tutorials you JUST linked correct?

8. Heu

Heu

There's too many variables to be had to tell you EXACTLY what you should do. You should do whatever you believe you need to do, there's not a correct way to learn.

Guide yourself through the path, and when you feel you are lost, come back to us, and we will help.

9. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

cooking with unity .. on youtube helped me alot... just watch him a few times... and you pick up on the workflow

... but yeah .. i have like 20 years game modding experience lol..

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  10. Labinator

Labinator

Thanks guy appreciate the good feedback, ill defiently give the youtube video a try :)

11. Stiffx

Stiffx

I had this question in the past, but I had programing skills so it helped me start somewhere.
    I would give you an advice: start with something very small, a very very easy project. Then re-create it after a while and you will see that you can find a better way to do that.
    Have fun and never give up :)

12. LadyAth

LadyAth

Welcome to the community :)
    YouTube is certainly one of the best ways to learn about how to create/design/code/model/etc. I would agree with the posts above to start with the Unity videos on the site and to then start subscribing to YouTube channels to watch and follow along with. There are also some great ebooks from packtpub.com that have helped me a lot with the scripting. It is great that you already have an idea that you'd like to create and I would suggest to take it one bit at a time. Also look at the Unity Asset Store. A lot of really helpful and affordable assets on there that will give you quick results as well as more detailed content to learn from. These forums are great for specific questions and I have found people here to be very helpful. Good luck!!!

13. nightowl79a

nightowl79a

Great place to start. He explains even the most simplistic things like vector 3's.

14. Labinator

Labinator

Thank you a lot kind sir!

Can you post a reply showing a youtuber that starts at the very beginning so I know where to start? :eek:

Thank you watching right now :) appreciate it friend!

nightowl79a and Stiffx like this.
  15. LadyAth

LadyAth

16. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

If it were me starting out, I would start watching the basic editor videos (as posted above)
    http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/beginner/editor

I would run the "Roll-a-Ball" project soon after starting:
    http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/roll-a-ball

I would continue to watch the basic modules for things like - graphics and scripting - and perhaps physics and 2D:
    http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules

I would watch only as much of these as I can handle, and refer back to them as I needed as reference - because these videos are as much for reference as they are for learning. e.g.: "How do cameras work again?" - watch the camera video.

When I was feeling comfortable with my foundation, I'd start Space Shooter, as this builds on the beginning concepts in Roll-a-Ball and takes you to the next level:
    http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/space-shooter

I would then start watching videos I haven't watched from the many module sections and move on to the Survival Shooter project, which again is an increase in complexity:
    http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/survival-shooter

I would, lastly, keep an eye on the Live Training sessions and Live Training archive, as there are some beginner sessions in the archive, and some good topic specific sessions you may be interested in, including a 2D catch game, a 2D Angry Birds-like Destructible Physics Game, a Top Down 2D scrolling shooter, and more:
    http://unity3d.com/learn/live-training
    http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/live-training-archive

If you want live chat, try out the community created, community supported IRC channel:
    irc.freenode.net #unity3d (note: this is not an official Unity Technologies resource, but one driven by the community.)

LadyAth likes this.
  17. LadyAth

LadyAth

@Adam: Absolutely! The Unity Learn section is absolutely fantastic and covers a lot of excellent topics and helpful script examples. Guess I just take for granted that everyone goes there first... :)

18. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

19. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Heh - I've now annotated the Displaying Text episode with the current method to create GUIText in 4.6+

I'll record an "upgrade guide" as soon as possible for people to watch.

20. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Awesome. You can steel mine if you like.

21. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Don't you guys think that the tutorial topics need to be reordered?
    Why is the Editor topic so low in that list? IMHO it should come first.

22. kdubnz

kdubnz

Kiwasi likes this.
  23. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

I know it's alphabetical. To be honest thought, it took me quite some time to figure out it's alphabetical as I was trying to read it row first (not column first).
    And still I vote for it to be reordered. If someone's new to Unity, he needs more guidance. Sorting this list alphabetically doesn't help someone, who doesn't know what's the first thing he needs to learn.

24. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I think alphabetical is fine. After a year of using Unity I still pop back into the learn section for the occasional refresher. Its not just ultra newbies who use the learn section.

25. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

This is true. I use the Learn section and I'm hardcore, also been using Unity 4+ years. It's not something to turn your nose up at.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  26. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

In general I've noticed slightly more experienced users have a lot more respect for the learn section then newbies. Maybe we could toss out all of the beginner tutorials and just run with intermediate and expert ones :)

I would actually like to see some more advanced video tutorials on things like reflection (in scripting) and shaders (in graphics) added to the learn section. Its only my opinion, but it would be really useful to have these sorts of things in the context of Unity, rather then converting over MSDN concepts all the time.

27. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yeah I really like the Learn section. It's good orientation. Any vids are welcome if subs are supplied for hard of hearing or overseas users.

28. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

I'm not saying Learn is for noobs. I'm saying that newbs might have issues finding where to start. I think you'll agree that neither 2D, nor Live Training Archive, nor 5.0 Pre-Order Beta is where a newb should start learning Unity. But these are at the top of the list. IMHO Editor should come first, as it's the basic of basics. But it's buried under all the other topics and it's hardly something a newb would click first.
    I'm pretty sure that you, as a Unity veteran, won't have issues finding the right topic, even if the list is randomly ordered and twice as large, so why is it so important to you?

And I'm not talking out of my ass. Recently I was showing Unity to a friend and he asked where could he learn and watch some tutorials. I went to the Learn section to show him and I had to write down the order in which he should watch the tutorials, 'cause 2D and 5.0 Pre-Order Beta is definitely not where to start. Why make it so difficult for the newbs?

P.S. Every time I look through that list for a specific topic, I need to switch my brain into "Column First" mode, otherwise "alphabetical order" doesn't make any sense.

29. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

The whole "where do I start" compared to 10 years ago is absurd. Game development hasn't been this easy, ever. *Some* onus must be put on people to accept that within Unity, there's a small barrier to entry. Not everyone is cut out for actual game development at this level (easy though it is).

Searching google, learning C#, finding out information are all processes in learning that the Learn section can't teach. And if you can't get that far, then it's out of the scope of Learn section (short of giving you a school education on how to help yourself and teach you C#).

So it seems to me the brainpower required to click around the learn section is somewhat trivial compared to what's required to perform a google search or learn C#.

What would you have them add to make it easy for a noob? Assuming that noob can code at all, since if he can code he has the common sense to deal with it.

30. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

I don't agree with you. Yeah, game development has never been that easy. But is it the reason to not organize your learn material in a better way.
    90% of those learn topics rely on the basic knowledge of the editor. You know it, I know it. The newb doesn't know it. He doesn't know there is a really great set of tutorials that explain the editor in very good detail. He doesn't know it, cause he hasn't seen them yet. He doesn't know how important it is to understand the editor, so the idea to look for the editor tutorials might not even strike his mind.
    Why not organize the learn section in a way that will teach him Unity in the most optimal way? "Cause it's already easy as it is, and you, spoiled brats, need to use your brain more often"?
    I don't support your attitude.

31. kdubnz

kdubnz

@Devil_Inside
    I don't normally get involved in the cut and thrust of this place but your comments are just too silly to ignore.
    The first place anyone should look is the documentation
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/

Notice the order of the topics listed.
    If someone new doesn't come away from the documentation with an idea of the relative importance of each topic then the order of the lessons will be even less important than they are now.

32. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

@kdub
    When I started learning Unity 3-4 years ago, I didn't start with the manual. I started with the video tutorials. I'm pretty sure they were ordered in a better way than they are now, and I'm pretty sure that a lot more people start with the tutorials now.

Another question is why the manual is ordered in this way, but the tutorials are not? At the smallest, it creates a discrepancy in perception. The order in the manual just highlights the issue I'm trying to convey and if those 2 sections had the same order, it would overall be easier to follow.

P.S. Hmm, the "I'll call his comments silly and everyone will think I'm smarter" trick. Usually people use this trick when they run out of arguments.