Search Unity

So here it's - official petition to add SSRR ! Join us!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kronnect, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Any SSR in forward has no choice but to be much slower. On mobile, where deferred still isn't feasible can you imagine how slow things are going to get?

SSR itself is used very sparingly on new generation consoles, they don't go full retard because it's an expensive effect. For mobile you want to use reflection probes.

2. Mauri

Mauri

Probably using Cubemaps or SSRR, yes. However, you said "otherwise Unity will never reach the sky of AAA games" and this is simply wrong. It's not solely about Reflections, it's about the overall Quality of your Assets what makes AAA... well... AAA. The Light (Greenlight / Video) looks kinda AAA, but it doesn't utilize realtime reflections.

3. AlanLadd

AlanLadd

So Unreal and Cryengine are wrong? I don´t want to go over to Unreal or Cryengine, but if I must then I have too!

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

The quality of the meshes is only a small part to play in the grand scheme, Quality lighting / materials / (Vector, Const, Overlay / textures). Then finally post like SSR / Tonemapping / HDR (with shadow / highlight crushing) / colour grading etc.

Think of it like building up layers on a blank canvas to reach a final image. SSR isn't going to make or break the image, but it'll definitely do it's part.

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Sure if you want to use deferred SSR in other engines instead of deferred SSR in unity, that's your choice.

6. AlanLadd

AlanLadd

If I want to show a car with reflection, reflecting carparts on carparts and so on, I need SSR! Not like today you only reflect the HDR image on everything! What I want to do is all parts that i reflective should reflect the part surrounding them too! I don't want to switch to Unreal and Cryengine, but if Unity don't want to develop SSR or some other solution then it´s too bad! Hope you understand what I mean!

7. AlanLadd

AlanLadd

Good news!!!!
    Unity 5.2 road map 8 sept 2015!

Thank you Unity for the road map, everybody should have a road map on development!

Graphics: Deferred Reflection Probes & SSRR (Screen Space Raytraced Reflections)

• Reflection probes in Deferred Shading are done per-pixel instead of per-object, in a separate "render probes" screenspace pass.
    • Screen space raytraced reflections (SSRR) image effect is in development, that would provide more accurate reflections where possible, and fallback to reflection probes where sceenspace information is missing.

Kronnect likes this.
  8. Kronnect

Kronnect

Yes! Let's hope that SSRR is better than others and support forward rendering path.

9. LaneFox

LaneFox

Get better hardware. =)

Ryiah and hippocoder like this.
  10. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Yes, though please pay close attention to the orange strip on the left hand side - this means it is 'at risk,' i.e. we think there is a non-neglibigle chance that it will not be ready in time and will have to be postponed to the next release. (Though, the odds of it then being at risk in that release are pretty low, so it's unlikely we'd ship it later than December 8th).

11. Kronnect

Kronnect

C'mon guys, you can defeat this beast.

12. AlanLadd

AlanLadd

They may not be able to fix it! I think I should not count on it ! Next year then!

13. AlanLadd

AlanLadd

I don´t have problem with hardware! Code80 SSR is working good, but not good enough! I have problem with the TGA alpha mask with that SSR! There is artefacts with that effect! I am taking screenshots with Megagrab!
    So Im hoping that Unitys builtin SSR won't have this problem! But you never know, maybe it will be the same problem!

Attached Files:

14. LaneFox

LaneFox

Whoa!

15. AlanLadd

AlanLadd

Really bad that they have moved SSRR on the Roadmap to Dec 5.3!

16. LaneFox

LaneFox

Why is that 'really bad'?

17. darkhog

darkhog

The faster, the better.

18. LaneFox

LaneFox

Fast does not equal good.

Ryiah likes this.
  19. darkhog

darkhog

They may improve upon it in 5.2.x versions.

20. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Locked as thread has run the course and is just imploding. The fact is the roadmap will keep you in the loop.

I estimate it will be available to beta testers shortly after 5.2 (since they'll have 5.3). This means any pro customer. Personal edition users will have to wait a little longer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.