Search Unity

So.. could this possibly be real or did I learn a $50 lesson

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by frigginjoe, Aug 12, 2006.

1. frigginjoe

frigginjoe

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Considering that it's now an "invalid item," I suppose it--whatever it was--wasn't real. :)

--Eric

3. frigginjoe

frigginjoe

Yeah I'm thinking theft of a retail box or a company closure would still hav resulted in a higher price. It's apparently copies, and I've unfortunately seen 'warez' copies being sold at actual commerce sites.

4. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Just out of curiosity, what was the piece of software you were trying to buy? I honestly can't imagine buying a software license on eBay... it has to be 99% illegal warez. I know someone was going to try and sell their Unity license legitimately on eBay, but that is rare stuff.

5. frigginjoe

frigginjoe

3DS Max 8.0
    Ridiculously low price, I didn't realize how much to full program costed.
    While looking for sites that might sell older version software, I've run across a few that actually take credit card orders to ship you pirated copies. "OEM" software it was called.

Not gonna link them, but be careful, you're probably not going to get a valid copy. (It's really silly I even even took the bait to see what happens)

6. socksy

socksy

And what's worse, is when you gets shops and eBay sellers selling Gimp and Blender with out mentioning that it's free online. Sometimes they don't even bother with giving a name, and when they do, they conveniently manage to make the G in gimp stand for something other than GNU...

I mistrust anything under £100 of serials of software. Anything that low is likely to be fake. And if the original Application is that low to begin with, then why use eBay?

7. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Yeah, except selling a CD with Gimp or Blender on it is perfectly legal (as long as you follow certain simple "restrictions"), but selling a duped copy of Max or any other commercial app is never legal.

There was a big deal a couple years ago about folks selling hacked versions of Max and Maya on eBay, but since Autodesk took over eBay seems to have cleaned up their act.

Every once in a while you'll run into an authentic "good deal" on eBay, but not often. You're usually better off waiting for the developer's "special pricing" (like competitive upgrades or discount prices during trade shows).