Search Unity

so cool

Discussion in 'EditorXR' started by laurentlavigne, Jan 25, 2020.

1. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

I managed to make a level in like 5 minutes!! Incredible productivity given how glitchy and jiterry it is.

A few things I didn't understand:
    • undo/redo sometimes doesn't work and needs the button to be pressed, I couldn't use that one consistently and I think it's because you're trying to cater to both LH and RH without asking for commitment. It's better to ask if the user wants LH or RH, like in Medium
    • how do you type numbers? i press and nothing changes in the inspector
    • two hand allows for scene scaling rotation and moving in the scene which is how medium does it, perfect, but one hand only allows to move, it's better if it also allows to rotate
    • the project view exists in that big menu but not in dreidel... uh?
    • how do you scroll in the project view?
    • how do you reparent to root in the scene view?
    • why is the dreidel sometimes on the left hand and sometimes on the right hand? this could be related to gui tripping itself and lack of explicit LH/RH
    and a few things like:
    • "hey guys views are now workspace, because VR" :rolleyes:
    • the gui fights with itself a lot to the point where I just abandoned the scene, you folks should look into state machines, they work particularly well at managing gui tripping over itself
    • on the rift there is one button with no allocation, because vive?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    Arkade likes this.
  2. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

I know what this empty button could be used for: snap or grid snap on/off

3. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

Thank you for your feedback. I've commented on some of your questions below.

Take a look at these docs: https://docs.google.com/document/d/...AcltECOF7NAAO5XuE/edit#heading=h.75nijnwpfrnp

By dreidel do you mean the radial menu that shows up when you select an object? If so, then that menu is usually specific to the selected object.

Point at either of the panes and use the thumbstick/pad to scroll.

If you mean how do you reparent an object, then you need to open the Hierarchy Workspace and select the object with the tip of your pointer until it extracts it from the workspace and hold down on the trigger. Then you can move it to the GameObject you want as a new parent and drop it on that element.

If you are talking about the radial menu - depending on which hand you select the object the radial menu shows up on that hand. The idea behind this is that you may have a different tool on each hand, so this would allow you to modify an object with functionality on that radial menu with the hand that selected it.

Which button is not currently allocated?

4. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

that didn't do that for me
    also the field being edited should be highlighted in a very obvious way, got lost at some point

"usually" is a very bad gui paradigm, especially in VR where things are quasi physical for the brain, tools need to be very predictable. For example hierarchy isn't object specific, project either yet hierarchy is part of the dreidel

not the spinning top menu, google dreidel
    show me a video where ambidextrous interaction is demonstrated, it doesn't work for me but perhaps i'm too used to medium which has very strict gui left/right division

the one close to the web of the hand, X i think it's called