Search Unity

1. Looking for a job or to hire someone for a project? Check out the re-opened job forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2020 LTS & Unity 2021.1 have been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

So, after two, nearly three years of not using Unity extensively...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FuzzyQuills, Apr 6, 2021.

1. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

...What have I come back to? :D

Seems the networking layer is now called Mirror, the interface got a bit of a change from what I'm used to (2017.4.17f1) and boy... DOTS and all the shiny new graphical stuff looks like a ton of stuff to take in.

As for where I've been, I don't even know if anyone who used to visit my threads (whether it was the now-defunct IndieEffects or my game WIPs) is still here, but I guess I can say I'm returning. Not sure whether to actually polish up one of my projects gathering dust or even start from scratch at this point. I've been writing my own game engine the past few months since mid-2020 and it's coming along nicely, all that's left really is to make my graphics pipeline more flexible and add GUI rendering and write the particle system engine.

With that said I decided to come back here just to see what's happening, and man things have changed. :D Glad to be back. Hopefully I'm not too rusty with everything for too long haha.

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Unity is in quite a transitional period. There's lots of new stuff in varying states of usability.

3. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

That has been the answer for about 2 years now :p

Martin_H, Voronoi, Moonjump and 6 others like this.
  4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

And for another 2 I'm sure :D

5. Mordus

Mordus

Not quite. Mirror might be a popular 3rd party library but unity have picked up MLAPI to become their first party networking library. They've been refactoring it to get it more in line with what they want and recently put out their first release of the new version.
    There's a discord channel for it.
    https://discord.gg/PVkeRM4F2C

JoNax97 likes this.
  6. kdgalla

kdgalla

Most of this stuff that you mentioned are still optional add-ons, so your legacy projects should still work fine with only minor changes.

7. LuiBroDood

LuiBroDood

the change logs are MASSIVE lol i tried reading them and give up quickly haha

Joe-Censored likes this.
  8. Martin_H

Martin_H

After such a long break, how do you pick a Unity version to work with, given how fractured it all seems to be now with different versions of new work-in-progress systems available through the package manager that may or may not work only with specific versions of Unity and everything being in flux and all that. I kind of want to return to Unity too eventually, but man... I already get a headache before even picking a Unity version to bash my head against. It all seems so much more complicated than 3 years ago.

9. Voronoi

Voronoi

It's been gradually improving over the last 6 months to a year. The 2021 version is what I would recommend, it seems that there was a lot of focus on stability and the Package Manager is labeling things better so that you can at least understand what should be working in 2021.

The documentation of the newer features is pretty all over the place. I pretty much check the forums first, and then the docs. Most of the newer things have dedicated threads, so that's helpful. Not the way I prefer to work though.

One complaint I have is the examples are all over the place. Sometimes on Learn, as a tutorial. Sometimes a demo project on Github and sometimes a sample that you download via the Package Manager. Try explaining that to a new person trying to learn Unity!

Martin_H likes this.
  10. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

yikes that's bad compared to years ago, yea hopefully it gets better :D

Martin_H and MadeFromPolygons like this.
  11. Martin_H

Martin_H

Thanks a lot, that was very helpful! I hope over time they can get this back into a more structured approach where it's easier to know where you'd find what you're looking for and things aren't all over the place.

unityunity