Search Unity

Snowboard Game Starter (Template)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FreebordMAD, Dec 4, 2015.

1. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

Snowboard Game Starter (Template)
    Give your snowboard game a head start with this game starter package. The content listed below describes the most important parts, which will help you to create your snowy adventure.
    • Universal Render Pipeline with post effects
    • Snowboard Player Controller
    • Snowboard Dynamic Camera Controller
    • Extendable Snowboard Trick System
    • Snowboard Animations
    • Snowboard Mesh Trail Renderer
    • Snowboard Character Ragdoll
    • Character Selection Screen
    • Level Selection Screen
    • Visual Quality Settings
    • Persistent Database
    • PC & Mobile Support
    WebGL & Windows & Android Demo | Documentation | Support on Unity Forum

Things that I didn't add, but plan to add/improve (most important first, nice to have last)
    • Sounds - 2 vote
    • NPC characters to race against - 2 vote
    • Save the Board and Walk - 2 vote
    • Last Score in the Menu / or other more complex score modes - 2 vote
    • Character and Level Unlock System - 2 vote
    • Fail & Fall Recovery Modes - 2 vote
    • More grab animations - 2 vote
    • More complex controls e.g. a second axis/joystick for rotations - 2 vote
    • Legacy rendering pipeline support - 2 vote
    • Other camera modes - 2 vote
    • HDRP Support - 1 votes
    • Blob Shadow for Low Quality - 1 vote
    • VR Controller
    • Improve Docs (How To Videos, More Code Comments)
    Things that I don't plan to include from the original wish list, because I think nobody cares - correct me if I'm wrong
    • Snowboard Item Selection Screen (apparel, equipment, etc...) - 2 vote (vote more to get it back to roadmap)
    • AI Players - 1 vote
    • Snowboard Multiplayer (online) - 1 vote (vote more to get it back to roadmap)
    • Snowboard Multiplayer (split screen)
    • Snowboard Level Editor (Multiplatform Runtime Level Editor) - 1 vote (vote more to get it back to roadmap)
    Any feedback is welcome positive or negative or both! The same applies to wishes. If the Unity community is interested in such a package, then I do plan to add more content.

CoverImage_1950x1300_New.png Screen00_NewPost.png Screen01_NewPost.png ScreenScripts_New.png ScreenB_New.png

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  2. chveti

chveti

Hi man!

Interested like hell!
    I'm tryin' to find something like that for months!

All above of your features sounds great, waiting impatiently for those goodies ;)

FreebordMAD likes this.
  3. action9000

action9000

Absolutely!!

You have a sure customer right here!

FreebordMAD likes this.
  4. KarlN

KarlN

Yep, interested, do I hold off buying your terrain editor ? lol ;)

Edit: That is a serious question btw hahahaha, debating buying both your assets today, was going to ask if you had an issue with me making a boarding game with your assets, I would take the assumption you don't haha, I will be trying out your games hopefully today after the day of coding woop

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
    FreebordMAD likes this.
  5. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

Sure you can make any type of a game with my assets. If you want to make a snowboarding game, then I will be happy to help you doing it with my Asset Store Products!

Unfortunately, three developers interested in a snowboarding starter package are not enough..., but if you are in the need of some certain components, for example, snowboarding animations then I could upload a small package to the store for you.

Fibonaccov likes this.
  6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Don't take forum interest as your only source of feedback on numbers interested !

I've also been wanting to see a snowboarding template for a long time on the asset store.

I'm sure the template sales would definitely be worth the work involved, especially more so if you have code base already put together from your previous games. As long as it's priced reasonably, I don't see why you wouldn't garner a decent proportion of sales. The templates / source projects are some of the biggest sellers on the asset store.

Regards

7. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

Could you please tell me what would be a reasonable pricing for you. I would try to split the project into components like those listed below. This way, I could offer the starter package for a low price. If more functionality is needed, then extensions could be purchased.

Core Package
    •Snowboard Player Controller
    •Snowboard Camera Controller
    •Snowboard Animations (riding, tricks, etc...)
    •Snowboard Mesh Trail Renderer (Snow Mesh Trail Renderer)

Trick System Extension
    •Snowboard Trick System (animation, score system, controls)

Character Selection Package
    •Snowboard Character Selection Screen

Item Selection Package
    •Snowboard Item Selection Screen (apparel, equipment, etc...)

Level Selection Package
    •Snowboard Level Selection Screen

Multiplayer Package
    •Snowboard Multiplayer (split screen, online)

Level Editor Package
    •Snowboard Level Editor

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi,

From my own personal viewpoint, I'd prefer the core package contains all the elements I needed to make a game, for instance : -

Core Package
    •Snowboard Player Controller
    •Snowboard Camera Controller
    •Snowboard Animations (riding, tricks, etc...)
    •Snowboard Mesh Trail Renderer (Snow Mesh Trail Renderer)
    •Snowboard Trick System (animation, score system, controls)
    •Snowboard Character Selection Screen
    •Snowboard Item Selection Screen (apparel, equipment, etc...)
    •Snowboard Level Selection Screen

and, Optional Extras, available to buy separately : -

Multiplayer Package
    •Snowboard Multiplayer (split screen, online)

Level Editor Package
    •Snowboard Level Editor

Take a look at this package, Racing Game Starter Kit, I own this package, and it's brilliantly feature packed, from car selection, to level select, to actual racing against opponents, and so much more, basically it's a complete game, which is superb, and one of it's main selling points.

The main people buying full projects / templates are artists, designers and the 'new to programming', we look for full kits that we can change the art within, dig through the code a little and change stuff up, ui changes to make it our own, and so on, if I only bought the snowboard controller core package, as an artist, now I need to worry about title screens, scores, ui implementation, character select, level select, game scene setup, pause menu, etc. It's a lot to think about, which is why I prefer the more complete packages, something for you to think about anyway. Kits that have been broken down into their smallest components tend to sit unused in my assets folder, the Advanced Sniper Starter Kit, for instance, brilliant kit, but now I need to worry about building an entire framework around the core component to make a game, 'ain't nobody got time for that!'. :)

In terms of pricing, for the core package above, between $25 and $75 dollars ? The racing game starter kit is $30 dollars, and I believe it sells very well. I have the alternative, Mobile Ski Game, which is obviously not snowboarding, but skiing, and as far as templates go, is absolutely atrocious quality. But as a point of reference, I still paid for it, because I thought I could improve upon it and make my snowboarding game. I like old style snowboarding games, 1080 Avalanche, Snowboard Kids, etc, and if there was a decent kit available where I could make my own similar games, I'd definitely be purchasing ! :)

Regards

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2016
    Fibonaccov and FreebordMAD like this.
  9. Der_Kevin

Der_Kevin

Hey,
    Do you still plan to sell this?
    Iam mostly interested in the snowboard/player controller itself.

10. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

Unfortunately, this is currently not on the list, because there seems to be not much interest in such a package.

11. Der_Kevin

Der_Kevin

Thats sad.
    If you wanna talk more about it, just dm me(german too) :)
    Iam just also working on my own snowbosrd game and struggle a bit with the board physics and was curious how others do that

12. GamePyro-com

GamePyro-com

Hello

is there a way to buy it from you ?

and also a skateboard starter set would be great .

regards

13. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

Hi, thanks for your interest in a Snow/Skateboarding template. Unfortunately, there was not enough interest in such starter templates. Hence, I have not created those.

14. GamePyro-com

GamePyro-com

You sell something from you snowboard game or so ?

Or what price for snowboard and skateboard template starter kit ?

I know much want this 2 kits.

Regards

15. amanda247

amanda247

I also would love to see a Ski/snowboard template for Unity or any tips on how to get started. I only see old templates on the Asset Store which probably no longer work since they haven't been updated since 2012.

CrypticColza1971 likes this.
  16. GamePyro-com

GamePyro-com

?
    You sell something from you snowboard game or so ?

Or what price for snowboard and skateboard template starter kit ?

I know much want this 2 kits.

Regards

17. GamePyro-com

GamePyro-com

Or any other has a skateboard and snowboard kit ?

18. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

Hi all,

thanks for the interest in the skate/snowboarding starter kits.
    Currently, I'm too busy with my private life and my full time job.
    Besides, I'm busy enough with the support required for my existing products.
    Hence, I will not create any new products in the next years.

My games were not designed to be reused by others, the code is not documented and also not flexible.
    Therefore, it would be impossible to understand it or use them as a starter kit.

Cheers
    Denis

19. GamePyro-com

GamePyro-com

I wrote you PM :)

20. Gvariya

Gvariya

Hello, I also want snowboard game source code, and I will manage if you sell me this code and I will not interrupt you after sell your code and I am able to solve all kind of problem if I will get in your assets,

Could you please do share some in assets store or privately so that I can buy,
    I know so many guys interesting for this asset if you put it in the assets store.
    You should think about it.

Thanks and I hope we will get a positive response.

FreebordMAD likes this.
  21. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

Hi @Gvariya,

thanks for your interest! Unfortunately, you will find that even my existing tools through still rated with 5 stars have some 1 star entries for delayed replies. I simply don't have any time left to create new packages.

The code of Mad Snowboarding is somewhere between 5k and 15k lines of code and is unusable without prior extraction and simplification. I will put this on my todo for the future, but I don't feel comfortable in selling the whole thing without making it usable.

Cheers
    Denis

22. CrypticColza1971

CrypticColza1971

Hi all, as at oct 2020 there is very little either Ski or Snowboarding templates available, also with what I feel a huge upsurge in VR coming (my interest) it is a shame, I dont know if any of you have checked out the Zugsoft Simple Snowboardings asset aside from the one featured in this thread, Im hoping that developer updates their template, anyway having read this thread I too would love to see any snowboard ski even skateboard templates,

23. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

It was a long road including the Asset Store team declining it and pushing for more quality, but finally the Snowboard Game Starter (Template) is released. I hope it was worth it and the first version meets your expectations!

24. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

25. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

Thanks to everybody who got on board by purchasing my snowboard game starter package. Looks like there is quite some interest!

Share your struggles, tell what you are missing. Help me to start documenting what you need first.

Work in progress doc

26. XToGo

XToGo

Hey, I just bought the template, created a new project and imported it. But there're many errors that prevent the whole thing from working. I'm using 2019.4.16f1 and the universal render pipeline. Any easy fix for this?

27. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

Did you apply the project settings coming with the package? Could it be that the Scriptable Render Pipeline package is missing?
    SRP Core

If yes, then try to import with the included project setting into an empty project. If it works, then compare the active packages in the Package Manager.

It might also be that the URP in 2019.4. doesn't support the outline post process.
    I will check compatibility with your Unity version today evening aka in 12 hours.

28. XToGo

XToGo

I've imported the project settings from the beginning. Just tried it again and the errors are still there. I also have the SRP packages installed.
    Just tested it in 2020.2.2f1 and it's working in there ^-^

29. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

I just tried it myself and it is quite easy to get it going on 2019.4. Nevertheless, the terrain assets cannot be imported. Hence, I strongly recommend to go for Unity 2020.2.1.f1 at least.

The problem you have described is a mismatch in package versions. To fix it follow the steps below in the Package Manager by hitting the update buttons with the versions from the screenshots.
    Fixing_2019.4_Change1.png Fixing_2019.4_Change2.png Fixing_2019.4_Change3.png Fixing_2019.4_Change4.png
    Then comment out the only one remaining method, which throws an error in the DrawFullscreenPass.
    Fixing_2019.4_Change5.png

Out of curiosity I would be thankful for an update on how it worked out for you.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    Fibonaccov likes this.
  30. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

31. BBLOCK_Digital

BBLOCK_Digital

Here to write about "script dependencies and runtime management"
    Actually the template seems to attach by script (main script for player) other needed components children of othe classes....
    This way if i want to edit some phisycs beahviours and variables i need to do this by Visual Studio and these variables aren't exposed in editor...
    I'm working on a networked version of your asset....at this moment i totally broke your scripts...
    I think this is code stripped from your games, the mobile control part is already in, i'm used to deal with Rewired so i just filled your inputHandler with rewired inputs....

FreebordMAD likes this.
  32. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback. I hope it worked fine for you to plug rewired into the input classes.

Regarding configuration, I already started to work on it and have exposed the following data to global configuration prefabs as in the screenshots below. Which classes did you edit? Do I cover your needs with the screenshots below?
    upload_2021-2-12_20-58-7.png
    upload_2021-2-12_20-59-16.png
    Controls are probably not interesting for you, but for completeness:
    upload_2021-2-12_21-0-37.png
    upload_2021-2-12_20-58-59.png

33. BBLOCK_Digital

BBLOCK_Digital

WOW
    so next update gets working mobile setup?
    yes, in my case i need also to get every handler attached to player object not in runtime...so i changed them to monobehaviour.

FreebordMAD likes this.
  34. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

lukasynthetic likes this.
  35. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

Just uploaded the first patch, here is the changelog. I hope the version is approved within a few days by the Asset Store team.
    Path v0.4:
    • FEAT: added PC controls info
    • FEAT: quality settings
    • FEAT: mobile controls
    • FEAT: added configuration prefab for the player character
    • FEAT: added configuration prefab for the mobile controls
    • FEAT: added a game database handler
    • FEAT: added a quality handler
    • FEAT: improved documentation
    • FEAT: added a snowboard trail and snow particle prefabs to simplify customer character creation
    • FIX: trail drawn on top of snowboard in WebGL and mobile builds
    • FIX: error messages shown when sounds were not configured

Fibonaccov likes this.
  36. Fibonaccov

Fibonaccov

Amazing asset Denis! Top quality as usual. Loves the low poly outline style and color palettes!

FreebordMAD likes this.
  37. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

Thank you! Great to hear that. It would help a lot if you could write a short review on the Asset Store. Currently it has only two reviews and the stars don't show up yet, because there are not enough ratings.

Fibonaccov likes this.
  38. Fibonaccov

Fibonaccov

Done! I had totally forgotten so thanks for the reminder.

FreebordMAD likes this.
  39. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

40. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

Considering the latest support requests including mails the highest priority will be getting the latest LTS supported. I believe that URP and CRP will be the future for Unity. URP is quite stable in 2019 LTS and I would not call it Beta - it is just "simple" yet. It should not be a problem to migrate the current URP 2020 pipeline to 2019. As a producer, I would not start a costly project with the legacy system with Unity, why should I, the capabilities of Unreal are by far better and it is by far easier to find a coder for visual shaders than have some expert being able to code 20 shader variants to support all the graphic cards on all the platforms.

Just to make sure you also see my reply to your feedback, copy & paste from the store:

Thank you very much for this good review and using my assets.
    "2019.4 LTS"
    Having backwards compatibility and getting it fully supported is now highest on the roadmap.

"Sounds"
    "Blob Shadow"
    These are already at the top of the roadmap. I moved "Level Unlock System" one up in the roadmap.

Could you please give some more details on the forum for these:
    "Additional snowboarding animations"
    Which are missing for you or would improve it?

"Switchable camera views (icon for mobile)"
    How would other cameras be different?

"Scoring system"
    Tracking the tricks and being able to extend the system with additional trick detectors is in already. What would you see needed for a scoring system?

"Being able to recover from falling somewhat" That is an interesting idea. I added "Fail & Fall Recovery Modes". I can imagine to have a little minigame with a slider, which is hard to beat that you need to win within 2 seconds to stand up. Also an automatic stand up after X seconds or when the ragdoll stops might be a good idea.

"Multiplayer"
    "Item Selection" / "Various boards physics"
    "Level Editor"
    Regarding those, I have saved your vote, but will await if there is more interest first. The current roadmap/wishlist will take a year already.

Fibonaccov likes this.
  41. BBLOCK_Digital

BBLOCK_Digital

So, this is a tricky one, actually I'm stick to 0.3 because I went deep in changing scripts... I'm trying to switch from your controller to a walking one (like steep does) but I'm getting weird physics behaviors enabling and disabling the rider controller...i think a better way would be add on foot state to your controller, am I right? This will also enable a more smooth transition from feet to riding, like a skater dropping down the board... Yes I'm trying to get thi working also for skateboards, skiers are natively supported by your system. Any suggestion?

42. Fibonaccov

Fibonaccov

**** until recently, URP was in a constant state of changes and Yes I agree this is the future but as other devs I have a lot of built-in assets and 3rd party ones that are not SRP compatible yet so this is just not an easy switch and has to be planned. Not everyone has to deal with the same technical and assets debts naturally. I am not avoiding URP, I am just not fully moving to it as I just can't at the moment because of all the tech foundations and debt I have.

**** Different board grabs or / and postures - being able to crouch on the board, grab the front, side spins, etc - not a super high priority but something nice to keep adding IMO

**** For instance, having the capability of switching between different camera pivot points such as top, side, board and 1st person (with board showing in front). etc
    Anybody should be able to add these but thought it would be nice to have

**** More advanced such as leaderboard, Track time, latest and highest scores, additional animations for performing special tricks with points being rewarded, etc
    Having some racing mode that takes into account the time to get to the end gate with points being awarded from figures / tricks performed.

**** That's would be awesome and sounds like fun ;)

**** Makes sense

Some additional mode to add would be some kind of racing against AI

43. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

Yes, you idea seems to be right. You actually will find 6 player controller states present already in the enum PlayerState (Locked, Ground, TakeOff, Air, Dead, LevelEnd). Just add a new state there e.g. PlayerState.Walking.
    Add your new state to the switch statement in PlayerPhysicsHandler.OnFixedUpdate and implement the desired movement behavior there.

I'm almost through with porting back to 2019.4.20 SRP version, still using URP. I will think about implementing all the outline and toon shading effects in the classic post effects pipeline - added to the wish list. Though it will take some time.

I agree on a little bit more grab variety - added to wish list. What do you mean with crouch on the board? If you disable always accelerating in the player configuration, then you will have two postures for just riding and accelerating (crouching). "side spins" do you speak about grab variety played randomly or the ability to do spins with a second axis/joystick?

Ok, I put it on low priority though.

Ok, I see. Though this is exactly what I have stripped away from the template project. I think everybody should decide on their game modes.

Will add to the wishlist, but wait for more votes

Fibonaccov likes this.
  44. Fibonaccov

Fibonaccov

If it is a lot of work, then don't worry about it - I totally understand you just can't support everything. Just wish Unity had made it more simpler to write shaders across pipelines.

Yes exactly - having a second axis joystick is a great idea actually

Makes total sense.

45. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

I adder more complex controls, see first post.
    The 2019.20.1f LTS version is now on the Asset Store in v0.41. Make sure to download with 2019.4.20.1f or higher if you want to go for it, see asset description.

Fibonaccov likes this.
  46. Fibonaccov

Fibonaccov

Just tested it - works great in 2019.4.20 - The scenes are a bit darker even after lighting generation but that can be fixed easily. Saw the added controls. Thank you Denis!

FreebordMAD likes this.
  47. Justin_Wingfall

Justin_Wingfall

will there be racing feature against cpus at least? :)

48. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

Added it to the wishlist, see first post. Would take a while though. I'm currently working on the next patch for my Level Editor.

Fibonaccov likes this.
  49. adrog6666

adrog6666

HI, Stupid question.... Im having trouble with the mobile controls scaling across different size mobile devices.
    The controls in game don't stick to the edge of the screens, on iPad the controls a half way up the screen.
    on smaller devices the controls are not visible, and medium devices the are cut off.
    I haven't altered anything, but also am unable to find anywhere how to scale the control.config.
    Exit button and restart scale perfect, just not mobile controls..
    any advice would be great.
    thanks..

Or how can I disable your controls, and use my own mobile controls.
    I have my controls working and scaling fine on all size platforms, but am yet to find how to disable your controls in game!! Ill keep searching in the meantime though, thanks..

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  50. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

The mobile controls should scale automatically, do you have some screenshots?

Regarding your controls, check the "PlayerInputTouchJoystick" class. While the UI is based on OnGUI what you need in the end is the same, you need to create a class inherited from "PlayerInputDevice" and define the properties
    public abstract float AxisX {get;}
    public abstract float AxisY {get;}

public abstract bool IsJump {get;}
    public abstract bool IsSlide {get;}
    public abstract bool IsGrab {get;}
    Then you need to instantiate and assign this new class in the PlayerInput.Create method.