Search Unity

Games SnowBallFPS - WIP - Would appreciate any feedback

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by khos, Nov 8, 2019.

1. khos

khos

Hi,

Having a go at making a multi player game, having snowball fights (which I love to do in real life, who's with me on that :) ).
    I'd really appreciate your feedback on the gameplay video below:

You can dig/collect snow for throwing it at opponents, when digging the ground can deform, e.g. you can also dig holes to hide in or build a small wall for defence. Added upgrades like fire-drum to get warm again(health), faster throwing/running, bazooka that let you launch much bigger snowballs.

I still have a couple things to add like add a tutorial, better client disconnect code, sound, game play types (capture the flag),more upgrades, but I believe it is about 90% there.

Feedback would be most welcome.
    Also, would anyone be up for a Beta / early access test round via Steam? I'm trying to get it on there near Christmas time.

Thanks for taking a look.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    warthos3399 likes this.
  2. warthos3399

warthos3399

A fire/"bonfire" has always been a way to re-gen heath, so kudos with that, the multi-player looks great!

khos likes this.
  3. khos

khos

Hi warthos3399, thanks for your feedback, appreciate it!

warthos3399 likes this.
  4. warthos3399

warthos3399

Love the animation and the concept itself, only thing i can point out is its a bit hard to see the snowballs when throwing them, now the snowball cannon is fine, as they are travelling faster.

Nice work, keep kickin! :)

khos likes this.
  5. khos

khos

Cool! Thanks for the feedback. The normal snowballs are hard to see as in the video I have 4 instances of the game running on one localhost, spilt them into small resolution versions to fit them on screen :) At full screen I think they will be easier to see.

warthos3399 likes this.
  6. khos

khos

Testing the invisible cloak upgrade:
    Invisible-cloak.PNG
    Still have to work out the networking code to sync the colours on all clients...
    But I think this will make it more difficult to spot you, sneaking up to opponents could be more fun.

7. khos

khos

Adding sounds, it is interesting to work out how sounds are handled across clients in a multiplayer game, would welcome views if they seem ok / appropriate:

8. warthos3399

warthos3399

Audio has always been a hard thing to nail down, unless indoors. Most important i found out is the curve graph, you can do alot with it, i fine tuned all audio that way, with a bit of reverb.

khos likes this.
  9. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner

I’m going to suggest adding a trail or some particles to the snowballs. They move so fast (by necessity) that it’s difficult to see them so players won’t know where they’re getting shot at from.

I’d also suggest adding another color to help make the snowballs more visible. Some green trees or ferns would make a huge difference.

love the movement speed, movement is very important. Maybe add a small speed boost if you land on a slope, to allow players to kinda skate down hills. I think it’d be a small change that’d add a ton of depth to movement.

khos likes this.
  10. khos

khos

Thanks for the cool feedback!
    I'm working on adding some more objects in game, also would like to share the slippery slope section, you slide down the big hill, could be fun :)

11. khos

khos

Nice one, thanks for the info, I have been playing around with the curve graph to get distances right.

warthos3399 likes this.
  12. khos

khos

Hi, working on a trailer, I realise the text and some areas might be a bit low graphics at the moment but would like to ask for any feedback, e.g. does it makes sense what the game is about, any potential issues you can spot?

Many thanks for any feedback on this.

warthos3399 likes this.
  13. warthos3399

warthos3399

Its lookin good bro, i like it :)

khos likes this.
  14. khos

khos

Updated trailer, clearer text:

Comments most welcome of course!

15. Leadermac

Leadermac

I like the idea. Reminds me of the old South park shooter game back in the day.

khos likes this.
  16. khos

khos

Hi,

I am pleased to announce that Steam have approved SnowBall FPS's store page, on URL: https://store.steampowered.com/app/473550/SnowBall_FPS/
    Marked as coming soon at the moment.

I would like to invite you to stop by the page and if you like what you see consider following / wish listing :) , or any comments are of course most welcome.

Who does not like a snowball fight? :)

17. khos

khos

Pleased to announce that I have released SnowBall FPS as early access on Steam, I invite you to take a look, if you like it to wish list etc. Many thanks for stopping by.
    Link: https://store.steampowered.com/app/473550/SnowBall_FPS/

It all worked out in the end in terms of preparing things on steam for my planned release date, phew!
    Now.. who's up for a friendly snowball fight?
    Any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

warthos3399 likes this.
  18. khos

khos

Yay, a gameplay video:

Game is far from perfect, I think I'll need to see if internet matches can be added... but don't want to pay for the servers (I guess Unity's?), if anyone has any ideas on this I would welcome any info very much, how to best approach internet networking but cheap.