Search Unity

Snow Mesh Trail Renderer - Feedback/Support

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FreebordMAD, Mar 2, 2015.

1. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

There is currently no built-in way to do this, but you can take a look at the MT_MeshTrailRenderer.Draw function. You could save some kind of timestamp for each vertex, then reduce the
    Vector3[] vertices; Vector3[] normals; Vector2[] uvs; int[] triangles; arrays after calculation.

2. LangTao92

LangTao92

we need to develop a game with your plugin,but there is two problem :first ,the ball turn around 90 degree,it shows unnatural and strange;second, the new Unity LWRP is not Adaptation

3. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

Thanks for your interest in the Snow Mesh Trail Renderer asset.

Which trail prefab are you using?
    Have you tried Textured_Round_Trail_For_Balls?
    Please upload a short video or some screenshots.

What exactly is the problem?

4. ivisiondesigns

ivisiondesigns

Hi, I'm trying to get snow mesh trail working with my VR game. I'm using it with a very fast moving object on a large, bumpy terrain.

1. When the object goes in the air, the trail keeps drawing up to nearly 0.5 units above ground before stopping. Trails are very visibly floating in the air. Reducing MAX_DISTANCE_TO_SNOW (for example, to 0.01) does not seem to fix it. What am I doing wrong?

2. Can you give more examples of different trail styles? I'd like to play with your rougher animal trails and see examples of deeper tracks and different shapes. Is this achievable by adding more vertices?

5. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

See private message for beta package with the rough trails.
    In my game Mad Snowboarding I have used the IsDrawing property to switch off the trail in air. Do you have some logic in your game indicating that your object is in air?

6. ivisiondesigns

ivisiondesigns

Thank you! That seems to have done the trick. My first problem was because I was using a custom shader without the zbuffer offset. I have one last minor issue, since the snow layer is my terrain layer, the offset can also draw over trees on my terrain. Any way around that besides removing trees from the terrain and converting them to meshes?

7. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

This post might be interesting, it is a hack, but would allow to have terrain and trees on different layers:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/optimization-question-terrain-trees-and-layers.461117/

8. YuuUnity

YuuUnity

Hello, FreebordMAD.
    I purchased your Snow Mesh Trail Renderer.:)
    My order ID 15668265587007

I have a couple of questions.
    It is about the drawing order of Trails.

- Sample1
    Although the Trail is drawn by two Cubes.
    The one that moved later is shown below the one that was drawn before.

test1.gif

- Sample2
    My ideal.
    In this case, the Cube that moved later is shown as Trail at the front of the screen.

test2.gif

In other words, what I would like to do is to have a system where even if there are multiple trails, the one drawn afterwards is always displayed on the whole surface.
    Is this possible?
    snowTrail.png
    I'm not good at English, so I'm using a translation site, sorry if it's hard to understand. Thank you!

9. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

Thanks for using the SMTR! I have never read such a well illustrated and easy to understand question ;)

Unfortunately, there is no easy solution for that. The MT_SnowMeshTrailUpdater class counts up the render queue order for each new trail. Therefore, one trail is always above another trail.
    upload_2020-5-24_20-59-25.png
    upload_2020-5-24_21-0-25.png

If you remove this code, then you would see the trail that is actually above. However, this might as well result in Z-Buffer glitches, but would be worth trying out.

Fibonaccov likes this.
  10. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Does this system work with Deferred rendering?

11. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

Yes it should, try out what you want and request a refund if it doesn't bring the expected results.

12. afavar

afavar

Does this work with the URP?

13. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

Not yet, but I ported one of the shaders already. It doesn't work in WebGL yet. Would look like the Windows version here:
    www.freebord-game.com/SnowboardStarter/SnowboardStarter.zip

If you tell me what you want to use, then I could try to port the shader associated with it. If we can't get it going you can get a refund.

14. afavar

afavar

Thank you for your kind answer. I am still trying to shape some mechanics in my head. Once I gather up my thoughts, I will give this cool asset a try!

FreebordMAD likes this.
  15. heycalidev

heycalidev

Hi, This tool looks cool and might be useful for us however I noticed that it has been a while since you updated it. Before I make a purchase I would like to know a few things.

1. Does it work well with Unity 2019?
    2. How's the performance in Android and iOS?

Thank you! Keep it up!

jessiedaniel7 likes this.
  16. jessiedaniel7

jessiedaniel7

Will this also work on mesh generated by the DreamTek Spine mesh?

17. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

1. Yes, it works with Unity 2019 and 2020. It doesn't work with URP, but with the default render pipeline.
    2. The shader is consuming as much performance as any other shader, there is no complex calculation involved. The scripting is lightweight and shouldn't lead to any performance issues even with multiple trails. Check out what you can achieve with it on mobile here: http://www.freebord-game.com/index.php/mad-snowboarding
    (iOS is not on the store anymore, but it worked fine even many years ago)

I assume that you refer to this technology: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/dreamteck-splines-61926. If yes, then I cannot tell you if it will work, but you can get a refund if it doesn't. The package includes shaders that draw on terrain only, but also shaders that draw on meshes.

18. jessiedaniel7

jessiedaniel7

Thanks for the quick reply. We'll let you know if have some issues and questions using it. :)

19. heycalidev

heycalidev

Thanks for the prompt response. It works well with Dreamteck Spline mesh!

FreebordMAD likes this.
  20. theo_liem_norell

theo_liem_norell

Hi!
    I purchased your Snow Mesh Trail Renderer and after importing the package to my project I realized that it does not work with URP. Is it possible for me to get a refund? I won't be able use this asset since I only work in URP.

Order Details
    Order #5773137446481

21. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD