Search Unity

SnazzyTools : SnazzyGrid - much more than just a grid!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Becoming, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Becoming

Becoming

So basically its just an offset? instead of snapping to world position incrementally, we would snap to world position + offset incrementally, right? The offset may come from an object.

Thanks for reminding me about the focus.

2. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

...er I think so - I'll let you know once I've used it :)

I guess the key thing is to have the visible grid based on the locked object which would make it easier to position the selected object relative to it.

N

3. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

I re-downloaded the asset, still not working. (The snapping)

4. twobob

twobob

Okay, so basically it is the bit where he does the "Dragging around vertices to make new shapes" in the instructional video. The "Basic" snapping does work (with a few 'visual artifact' non-critical caveats on the pro-builder gizmos not honoring your Late Snapping, but the game objects do). Gekigengar does have exact details of the parts that don't work, and links to a video I believe demonstrating it.

Hope that helps

5. Becoming

Becoming

Position/Rotation/Scale Snapping & Hotkeys already work for UI elements, the only thing that does not work yet with the new Unity UI is the width/height snapping of the rect transform(dragging the corner points). This will work in the next update. Some other nice things will be added too ;)

Until then, anybody who needs Unity 5 support urgent, can send me his invoice. I can give you an updated version that works with Unity 5 and has the Resources folder nenamed(no more stuff added to builds).

6. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Can't wait, though actually I will ;)

Thanks for updating in advance!

N

7. twobob

twobob

Thinking about it. I already proved to you I bought the product (1st ever email), like I usually do, for this exact situation.
    Because I am tired of trawling my really rubbish email system for these codes.

Please can I have it

8. Becoming

Becoming

Snapping for the new UI is indeed very handy. We got that working nicely.

snazzy.png

I got these buttons alligned without hassle in a minute or so :)

So far we also added:
    • Ability to cycle through your previous selections
    • Ability to save/load selections
    • Ability to save/load scene camera views
    • Optional less colorful user interface(although personally i still prefer the colorcoding of the original UI)
    • Fixed jerkiness of the move gizmo when in autofocus mode
    • Fixed a little bug with the grid offset in the settings(on/off was inverted)
    • Fixed a rare bug where the settings window did not open without reloading the main window.
    Now we are working on :
    • Grid offset with a reference object.
    • Quick mirroring of scale per axis
    • Double/half the scale of objects with click of a button/hotkey

Gekigengar and hopeful like this.
  9. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Looks really cool! :)

N

10. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

Just what I needed! :0
    Any release date?

11. Becoming

Becoming

Should not take overly long, though with updating the manual and the assetstore approval it can be 2 weeks. Anyway, i'll send you a pm with a download link as soon as i got rid of all the debug logs. I guess you dont need the updated manual right away for the few new features as there are tooltips that explain everything.

Gekigengar likes this.
  12. Deleted User

Deleted User

This isn't compatible with Unity5 yet? I just bought it and can't use it.

ThunderTruck likes this.
  13. Becoming

Becoming

Thanks for the purchase.
    Send me a pm with your invoice and you get a link with a working version... we are currently working on the official update which adds more features.

14. Meceka

Meceka

Hello, right now snazzgrid moves objects on a grid based on worlds position 0.0.0 point with adding the grid size value. In my project I have many scenes that are already made, and now I want to allign them with snazzygrid and remove small gaps, seams and imperfections.
    I used a city prop pack and it has 3.5x3.5 meter default sizing and I based on that sizing. most meshes scaled to 3.5 meter ratio. But I didn't put them on world grid in first place. Which means their world positions aren't something like
    3.5 , 7 , 10.5 ,
    but usually their local pozitions are They are in a parent game object which may not share same angle with world transform angles.
    I placed rotated villages, towns etc. with rotated parent object (And they aren't rotated by 45 or 90) Spaces between objects are still ratio of 3.5 but they arent alligned to center of main grid. Still, their local transform always have 0 as rotation.

I want to use middle clicking snap button to put objects to closest grid based on the parent gameobject, but right now it moves them based on world grid instead of their parent's grid, and something like this happens;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s8u243velk0cjcp/Screenshot 2015-03-19 18.08.53.png?dl=0

(Irrelevant but there is also a bug here, When resetting with that button, even if scale is grayed out, it scales selected object to 3.5,3.5,3.5 instead of 1,1,1 now when I set grid size to 3.5)

And when I want to move them with holding transform gizmo, something like this happens as it tries to move them based of world grid instead of alligning them with a local grid based on their parent.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/n4i8sp5zhy4ip1z/Screenshot 2015-03-19 18.23.07.png?dl=0

Is there a toggle somewhere, if not what should I do to use this tool in the way I explained?

15. Becoming

Becoming

Hey Meceka, in the upcoming version you will be able to define a transform as an offset, i think that would solve your issues. At least i hope so but your scene seems to be a tricky candidate ;) if you are working with modular elements its best to use some kind of placement rule that fits to a grid... as a workaround now you can put you towns that are rotated arbitrarily and put them inanother parent that compensates the rotation... work on it when things are straight and then remove the parent with the compensated rotation again(or set its rotation to 0). also you can try to put the grid size to 0,5 and the rotation increments to a smaller value. then snap rotation/position individually so you can see whats happnening.

About the scaling issue, scale snapping takes the increments into account, so its not a bug but intended behaviour. you can turn snapping of and would still be able to use the hotkeys so that already serves like an offset but does not help on the arbitrary rotations. I hope you i can give you the latest update soon but we are in the middle of cleaning up the code and fixing the UI to fit the changes so you have to be a little patient. Let me know if the workaround with compensated rotation is feasible.

16. Becoming

Becoming

Coming soon :)

ComingSoon.jpg
    (Screenshot of the updated interface with the quickstart guide open)

John-G, cubez and twobob like this.
  17. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

18. Becoming

Becoming

I sent the release version to all those who sent me a pm previously but it may be that i forgot a few... the PM inbox is not the best place to organize such stuff :) So dont hesitate to contact me(with invoice number if you haven't done so already) if you want the latest version before it hits the store!

twobob likes this.
  19. twobob

twobob

*cough* upgrade notes *cough*

Loving it by the way.

minor point... You appear to have baked a grid into my game?

oopsFail.JPG
    as seen here http://kaycare.co.uk/games/Inventory/
    ( and yes that world /is/ under 1.5 mb since you ask)

worksGreat.JPG
    and awesomely it actually works perfectly :D - however I don't want one in there...
    any chance we can get rid of this game-time griddage stuff?

Much obliged.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  20. twobob

twobob

So I checked... and turning off the grid BEFORE the build makes no difference.

green.JPG

Gekigengar likes this.
  21. OnePxl

OnePxl

Hahaha, YOU get a grid, YOU get a grid, YOU get a…

Gekigengar and twobob like this.
  22. Meceka

Meceka

Hello, sorry for late reply.
    I understand compensated rotation with a parent, but I would also need to do same for position too. And it will make me lose time trying to do it that way. Using default unity snapping (ctrl + hold transform gizmo) would work faster.

I want to fix my imperfectly placed objects to grid with using that "transform as offset" feature. To fix them, i want to reset their transforms to fit the grid just as snap middle click does. It makes sense to do it that way. But I can't understand why it would change scale to 3.5 when scale snap is already toggled out? Then what should someone do to snap objects to 3.5m grid without changing scale?

Same thing for rotation. My grid size is 3.5mX3.5m. But I want to snap rotation to 45 degrees. I couldn't make it to work. Does it also take grid size to multiply with rotation snapping too?

Hotkeys doesn't work as they don't allign object to grid, it just moves them with adding grid size value to transform. It just works like unities default snaping with ctrl button.

I updated to newest version that you sent with PM. Grid is still black, and there is no transform as offset feature as you mentioned.

23. Becoming

Becoming

uuups... sorry :oops: will be fixed...
    btw: is what i see here the result of the flatshading tip i gave you?

24. Becoming

Becoming

Actually we only take position from the transform as offset(so it should give you what you want) but we are looking into adding rotation as well. I seriously doubt you would be faster, with snazzy you can just snap all selected transforms at once;)

If you middle click the snap button it will just snap position, rotation and scale. you can snap individual them individually by middle clicking the position/rotation/scale button(or individualy axis buttons). That is the intended behaviour but we are probably changing that now, so the main snap button would only snap whats enabled below.

I cant reproduce that behaviour. For me it snaps to whatever rotation incerement is set. Are you sure you don't have progrids interfering with it ?

Thats the behaviour if snapping is turned off but if snapping is turned on it will snap whenever you move/scale/rotate it with the transform tool handles or by using the hotkeys.

I can't reproduce that. did you uninstall the old version and restart unity before reinstalling it?

25. Becoming

Becoming

we had to redo the grid prefab and forgot to set it to editor only. is already fixed, you'll get the update as soon as we looked into the things discussed in the above post.

26. Meceka

Meceka

I didn't realise I could snap only position with middle clicking on position, it would work fine.

"Thats the behaviour if snapping is turned off but if snapping is turned on it will snap whenever you move/scale/rotate it with the transform tool handles or by using the hotkeys."

I don't have a numeric keypad, I just tested blue arrows on snazzygrid, I am modifying x,y,z of position outside grid, then I open snap toggle, hitting blue arrows moves them incrementally with adding grid value. I will buy a new keyboard with a numpad if this asset becomes usable :)

I installed with removing old version and restarting unity. I just did it several more times but grid is black, it was already black in earlier unity5test version, i thought it was a common problem about supporting unity5.

Thanks.

27. Mikael-Madrid

Mikael-Madrid

Any fixes to not seeing the grid on Unity5?

28. Becoming

Becoming

Yes give me PM with your invoice no. and you'll get the WIP version of SnazzyGrid 2 :)

29. Becoming

Becoming

SnazzyGrid 2 is now live on the Assetstore

New in SnazzyGrid 2:
    • Unity5 support
    • added uGUI support
    • added functionality to save/load Views
    • added functionality to save/load Selections
    • you can now cycle through your previous selections
    • you can now define a transform as an offset for position and rotation
    • improved smart focus
    • double/half the scale of a transform with the click of a button(per axis)
    • flip the scale of a transform(per axis)
    • optional conservative UI colors
    • minor bug fixes
    (Before ugrading delete the old SnazzyGrid and restart unity)

ComingSoon.jpg

John-G, cubez and Gekigengar like this.
  30. Wavinator

Wavinator

Hi. Downloaded the latest version and I'm using it with Relief Terrain Pack. It looks like both come with a version of Mouselook.cs so there's a collision

Code (csharp):
    2. Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/ExampleScene(import optional)/Included Standard Assets/Character Controllers/Sources/Scripts/MouseLook.cs(18,14): error CS0101: The namespace `global::' already contains a definition for `MouseLook'
    I can get rid of one but thought you'd like to know.

31. Becoming

Becoming

Thanks! Yes thats the reason why the folder is called "ExampleScene(import optional)"... Stuff in this folder can be deleted safely. It exists only for demostration purposes. Those who are familiar with SnazzyGrid can just exclude it from import.

Wavinator likes this.
  32. Becoming

Becoming

A few testimonials from the Assetstore:
    Testimonials.png
    Check all reviews on the Assetstore and see more of what other developers have to say about SnazzyGrid!

33. pixelquaternion

pixelquaternion

Hi there,

I was just looking at grid asset and i stumble on this, i am building a mufti levels modular dungeon and i was wondering if your tool can work like a user grid in 3ds max?

Mean that you can move the world grid to various height for conveniently building second floor level.

Regards peter

34. Becoming

Becoming

Hey Peter,
    SnazzyGrid was made for modular workflows with high complexity, It is not exactly like what you mean but i think its even better suitable. A grid that is placed in 3d and locked to a certain position has the drawback that you can only guess where objects are placed relative to the grid when working with a arbitrarily rotated scene camera. SnazzyGrid is always relative to the selection and its not overdrawing sceneobjects but intersects with them. This makes positions very obvious and since the grid is viewdependent it does not clutter your sceneview. Basically it gives you the same overview as an orthogonal axis aligned viewport but in your perspective viewport and it comes with a number of other features that make you work MUCH faster than you'd expect. It's hard to describe why it is so helpful as its a new way to deal with grids but i am very confident that it will help you a lot and surprise you positively with its uniqueness. May sound bold but i'd say just give it a try, you will be satisfied ;)

Cheers,
    Peter

35. pixelquaternion

pixelquaternion

Hi Becoming,

Thank for the thorough explanation and will probably buy it before the end of the week, i was first interested by pro grid but it seem that your product offer more for the same price.

Regards Peter

36. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Hi

I just tried out SG2 and not sure whether you implemented the "Locked Object" feature I suggested a while back? as I could not find it :(

If there was a way to lock the grid to an object e.g. by dragging the object to a field in the SG Inspector, then perhaps this might be achievable without too much additional effort. If this were possible then you may be able to have multiple such grids selectable by having a drop down combo box in the SG Inspector - thereby allowing the user to change really quickly.

Basically then SG could work as it is, but if the "Locked Object" field has an object in it then this would provide a placement grid like the picture/progrids instead. Not sure if setting the grid size to a very high value provides this because basically I think what I would like is for the grid to provide a "context" for placement for the local object - if this makes any sense.

The reason I was after this is that this is the only thing I think is missing (and which I think ProGrids offers). The context sensitive grid is great, apart from when you don't want it to be context sensitive ;) i.e. when you're in placement mode and you want to place it relative to another object / 3D grid that's when it would be super cool.

N

37. Becoming

Becoming

I didn't get quite right how you meant it but i think i do now. To be honest i don't see any case(also not the case you describe) where i would prefer this over the local grid but i guess you have your reasons. There are 2 possible solutions, either make the grid very big in the settings, it would not "appear" so much as local anymore and the benefit of it being local is that the grid is always at the object position (especially good with the scenecamera forward axis, which prevents that you have to guess where the object is placed when your camera is rotated arbitrarily). I think we talked about this. The other way is to just place a plane in your scene where you want your grid to be placed and apply the SnazzyGrid material(Sources Folder) to it. Probably it would be good if you use a duplicate of the material so you can change some settings without affecting how the regular grid works. Can you try out if that gives you what you need? Let me know, in the meantime we will look into how to add this feature, should be rather easy.

Cheers,
    Peter

38. siblingrivalry

siblingrivalry

Hi, can this be used for automatically rotating and placing objects correctly on to terrains?
    Been having a headache trying to place rocks, objects and walls down.

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  39. Ariegos

Ariegos

Would it be possible to use it to place hexagon tiles?

40. Deleted User

Deleted User

There's a glitch and when I'm in PlayMode and select an object, the grid will keep flashing.

41. lundon

lundon

I'm not able to see the grid, nor to open the settings menu. Everything else seems to be working.
    I'm on Unity 5.1.2f1

42. eagle555

eagle555

Yes it is perfect to use for this.

Yes it can.

It's not working in playmode, it for using placement in Editor mode.

We are using it too in 5.1.2f1 without issues. Did you enable the grid button? Can you show a screenshot?

Nathaniel

43. Deleted User

Deleted User

yes but the grid still shows up in Play Mode and it flashes. It's very distracting and you should do something about it. :(

44. twobob

twobob

Minor niggles:

The grid sometimes decides to turn itself on when I am editing (pretty sure its the keybinding being over invasive but it did do it every other time I pressed play for a while, now it has stopped.)

When trying to rename a file I could not put the letter "g" with the grid turning on and the filename editing being "stopped".

Hope you are well.

EDIT: I use the "Unparenting" and "Parenting" in every project, this really is a MUST HAVE TOOL which I why I moan so much about tiny things. Plus I'm a grump :p

45. twobob

twobob

We built a custom version for ourselves... With the things we use all the time..
    Behold SG lite!
    upload_2015-9-22_18-19-5.png

hehe ;)

46. Dan2013

Dan2013

@Becoming @eagle555
    I read comments from Asset Store that the author has no response to support requests for weeks?

47. twobob

twobob

Okay well. I dig through the code myself a bit last week.

These are a few gaffs. The Letter "G" when typed in a caret will activate the grid.
    There are a couple of other logic goofs, however it is 100% end user fixable I think.
    In the end I ripped out the grid and used it for the utils.
    Happy to share my changes to any /regisitered/ users..

and - for the record - I had very little idea how to actually "rip" the guts out of the thing before I started. So anyone who has a mind can probably do it too.

cheers.

upload_2015-10-1_8-38-12.png

48. Becoming

Becoming

Hey guys, like some of you might have already seen in the Horizon[ON] thread, i am back and i apologize for my absence.

For the enabling/disabling via keybinding issue, i can not reproduce it. The grid is not enabling/disabling when i type into fields or rename gameobjects, i can press "G" all the time, no issue...

Also every keybinding can be set in the settings window.

Yes it is true that i was away and i am sorry about that... personal things... however, I have not received any support requests for SnazzyGrid apart from what is here on the forum. The only remaining issue afaik is that the grid in some cases is visible in playmode, which can be solved by turning it off prior to pressing play, however i look into it and it should be simple enough to fix.

49. Becoming

Becoming

I tried to reproduce the issue and i was not able to... here the grid switches it self off when i press play, are you sure you are not using an old version?

50. twobob

twobob

Try renaming an object. With a G in its name.

That usually does it ;) (more often than not)