Search Unity

SnazzyTools : SnazzyGrid - much more than just a grid!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Becoming, Jun 25, 2014.

1. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

I tried it with Curvy and it does work, almost right....

When you move the control points they kind of snap into position, but sometimes this results in the curve aligning with a non-snapping position and then you need to wait until you click on another control point and then the curve will update itself with the snapped control point - so I guess there is a kind of lag.

Rotating control points for banking does seem to work.

HTH

2. twobob

twobob

when building:

1.4 mb 1.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/SnazzySettingsBGImageBright.jpg
    1.4 mb 1.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/SnazzySettingsBGImage.jpg

are shoved in the output.

Resources folder? really? can we get that tidied up?
    Awesome tool by the way \0/.

Have 100 placed pigs on me.
    SnappyPigs.JPG

very fun. please elide the chuff from the builds.

3. Becoming

Becoming

Yes you are right, it will be fixed! also the fact that the grid is not visible in unity 5 beta will be fixed in the next update...

4. twobob

twobob

nice one. To be honest I did drag that demo into R18 to have a butchers but I utterly failed to drag in your tool given the total heartache I had getting the project converted. Lesson to learn? Careful with your usage of cross version standard assets ;)

Will watch out for the update.

5. twobob

twobob

I just did a child compensate, with circa 1500 items as children, it was effortless and worked perfectly.

You just earned your money right there.
    It does grids too you say? nice!

6. dbrian

dbrian

Unity is crashing when I try to select the "settings" button; it works when I restart and select "settings" before working in a scene, but crashes if I try to use it after working in a scene for a while. 4.6.1 on Mac. Anybody else experiencing this?

7. elusive52

elusive52

hi

when do you think we will get the update for unity 5 as im starting a project with it now.

thanks

8. Zeblote

Zeblote

What is that stuff for in the package?

9. hopeful

hopeful

I don't get a Unity crash, but if I try to keep the Snazzy Grids window in a layout tab it will have problems upon restarting Unity. The solution is to close the SG tab and go back to the Windows menu to recreate it. Then things should start working again.

10. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

I think it's for the demo. I saw it and removed it

twobob likes this.
  11. twobob

twobob

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  12. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Hey @Becoming

I just wondered whether you had any time to look at the Locked Grid yet?

Also regarding the Focus problem, I was wondering whether there was a simple way of enabling the Focus, only after the user lets go of the mouse button - this should avoid any jerkiness and it would be much slicker?

cheers

Nalin

13. twobob

twobob

@puzzlekings hmm... that second part sounds pretty trivial. Have you looked at the code?

line 85 ish, SnazzyToolsEditor.cs

Beginning:
    if (snazzy.lookAtSelect) {

I think I would start there.

As for the "locked grid", I vaguely remember your original request, would not simply dropping in a check box that says [x] LOCKED (in the GUI) and then subsequently IGNORING the changes in the "victim transform" (paraphrased) until that is unticked?

Again seems pretty trivial.
    One extra thing in gui - linked to a boolean.
    check boolean before actually CHANGING the grid location.

(when I say TRIVIAL I mean: like end-user could do it "trivial", versus say... having to dig through shader code or understand huge tranches of code. That one file should "do you")

In both instances these are at most amendments of functionality that require a couple of lines of code, at most, to implement in a MacGyver style

Cheers, Hope it helps.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  14. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

@twobob

Thanks for the pointer :)

Actually no I had not looked at this yet as I'm still finding my way through editor scripts as they are a bit new to me.

I will try to have a go but I thought I would chase this up in case the functionality was forthcoming...

N

15. twobob

twobob

I had a quick look. Aside from actually figuring out which "button flags", "do what" in the contexts they are in (it wasn't well commented - sorry - however that was because they are well known button flags used in a well-known way) actually changing to only "on-mouse up" or maybe "Key press + mouse scroll " (or something) should be relatively easy.

bit of derping should do you.

the other bit about the locking is very much the same, just nick some of the GUI code and repurpose it.
    Shove the boolean tests around the actual updates

//pseudo
    if(weHaveNotLockedTheGrid)
    {
    grid.transform = new location // or w/e's
    }

and that should be it I think. That one may require a bit more testing to check for breaking other things.

Hope i helps.

it is worth noting that my line numberings are AFTER I converted it to the new unity format. So "Ish" is as close as I can get you. without extra effort.

16. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Thanks for this.

Sorry been busy hacking Megascatter to work with Curvy :) :)

I was hoping @Becoming might do an update if these are trivial, as my brain is a bit fried at present:confused:

cheers,

N

17. Karamasha

Karamasha

You can have grids in every direction right?

I hope you understand my question

18. twobob

twobob

X Y or Z, yes. The two sliders at the top handle "direction specificness" and "Grid translucency" (or similar names)

So, Yes

19. Karamasha

Karamasha

Amazing!,Then I will buy the asset:)

20. twobob

twobob

Worth noting that the grid is LINKED to the "selected" object.

Should you want to change that functionality - at this point - that would be up to you.
    A feature request was raised somewhere above for the "unlinked" or "locked" style of grid.

It's good product, To be honest I barely use it for the grid part. But that part is solid.

21. Karamasha

Karamasha

We will see if I like the grid or not, if not then I just get another asset that fits my needs.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  22. super-cypher

super-cypher

love this tool! so glad i bought it.

Please can i make a feature request. could you add a button that is assignable to a certain folder in your project so you can just click the button and be taken straight to that folder. I find myself constantly navigating to the same folder over and over and it absolutely does my head in! would just love to be able to click the button and im there.

maybe have several assignable buttons if possible, for different folders that you use all the time? (but one would be a good start!)

i think its a stupid oversight in unity that they don't have forward and back buttons on the folders and inspector, so if you could add this also you deserve a medal! any chance?

23. twobob

twobob

hmm..
    @super-cypher
    drag the folder to the favorites thingy

Job done.

pictured. favorites.JPG

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  24. super-cypher

super-cypher

Lol thanks didn't even notice that was there!

what about the folder and inspector forward and back buttons/navigation, not possible?

thanks

25. twobob

twobob

A keyboard shortcut would be more useful.

26. super-cypher

super-cypher

Not really. just two left/right arrow buttons added to the bottom of snazzy tools to go forward and backwards in the inspector (obviously through selected objects and whatnot) would be a great feature to add.

Many times i go off an object and want to go straight back (or few before or after) to it, but have to find it again in the hierarchy or hunt to the folder, which means remembering every time where that item is located, which could be several folders deep! which is a 'real' pain when you have thousands of objects and many folders in your project. This way you just click the back or forward button straight to it in a second!

also that favorites thing from earlier is rubbish, it gets hidden all the time how i have my project set up, it would be much nicer to have an assignable button for at least one favorite folder on snazzy tools panel.

cheers.

27. Becoming

Becoming

It would definitely make working with unity less of a pain, i like the idea and it brings me to more ideas about quick selections and so on but i dont want to promise anything just yet. I wrote it down on my growing list of possible improvements though. Fingers crossed ;)

Thanks for the idea!

edit: this is now a feature of SnazzyGrid 2.0

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  28. OnePxl

OnePxl

I just picked up this asset: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/26181

Super cheap and it works like a charm. Sorry for the cross-promotion, I'm not affiliated with that asset and a happy SnazzyGrid customer.

d-navarro likes this.
  29. twobob

twobob

@OnePxl I also bought this. nice find
    Although

Exception: Expected root element to be <cross-domain-policy>. found html instead
    MonoForks.System.Windows.Browser.Net.FlashCrossDomainPolicy+Handler.OnStartElement (System.String name, IAttrList attrs)
    MonoForks.Mono.Xml.MiniParser.Parse (IReader reader, IHandler handler)
    MonoForks.System.Windows.Browser.Net.FlashCrossDomainPolicy.FromStream (System.IO.Stream originalStream)
    MonoForks.System.Windows.Browser.Net.CrossDomainPolicyManager.BuildFlashPolicy (Boolean statuscodeOK, MonoForks.System.Uri uri, System.IO.Stream responsestream, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2 responseheaders)
    UnityEngine.WWW:get_isDone()
    Wasabimole.NotificationCenter:Update() (at Assets/Editor/NotificationCenter.cs:66)
    Wasabimole.InspectorNavigator:Update() (at Assets/Editor/InspectorNavigator.cs:729)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()

sucks the big one, might have to do a bit of digging to check just exactly what that thinks it is doing
    Meh.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
    d-navarro and OnePxl like this.
  30. super-cypher

super-cypher

Thanks for the heads up! just bought it now and its just what i wanted

d-navarro and twobob like this.
  31. cj31387

cj31387

Love this asset bought it on sale a couple weeks ago. I wish there was a way to get the same functionality in 3ds max. Does anyone know of any scripts/plugins for 3ds max that work very similar to snazzygrid?

32. forensicsman

forensicsman

I am creating a 2d side scroller. I have 32x32 blocks. I cannot get the grid settings to correlate to that size for snapping. any ideas what I need to set, or what I am doing wrong? Thank you.

33. Becoming

Becoming

I would recommend you something like this:

SnazzySettings32.jpg
    Unfortunately i dont know any, but i sure would love the same for softimage ;)
    Glad you like it so much!

34. twobob

twobob

Hi.

Still getting the
    1.4 mb 1.3% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/SnazzySettingsBGImageBright.jpg
    1.4 mb 1.3% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/SnazzySettingsBGImage.jpg

& 69 other files... included in builds.

including, non exhaustively: (when compressed to 32)
    1.5 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/SnazzyGrid.fbx
    1.5 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/SnazzyCube.fbx
    1.3 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/RotationModeToggleOff.png
    1.3 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/RotationModeToggleOn.png
    1.2 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/SnazzySettingsBGImageBright.jpg
    1.2 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/SnazzySettingsBGImage.jpg
    1.2 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/SettingsToggleOff.png
    1.2 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/RotationToggleOff.png
    1.2 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/PositionToggleOff.png
    1.2 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/SnapToggleOff.png
    1.2 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/SettingsToggleOn.png
    1.2 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/ScaleToggleOn.png
    1.2 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/ScaleToggleOff.png
    1.2 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/RotationToggleOn.png
    1.2 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/PositionToggleOn.png
    1.2 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/GridToggleOff.png
    1.2 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/FocusToggleOn.png
    1.2 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/FocusToggleOff.png
    1.2 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/CCompToggleOn.png
    1.2 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/CCompToggleOff.png
    1.2 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/SnapToggleOn.png
    1.2 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/GridToggleOn.png
    1.2 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/XYZMask.png
    1.2 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/Parent.png
    1.1 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/IncrementPreset2ToggleOff.png
    1.1 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/IncrementPreset1ToggleOff.png
    1.1 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/AnglePreset2ToggleOff.png
    1.1 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/AnglePreset1ToggleOff.png
    1.1 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/RotationZToggleOn.png
    1.1 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/RotationZToggleOff.png
    1.1 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/RotationYToggleOn.png
    1.1 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/RotationYToggleOff.png
    1.1 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/RotationXToggleOn.png
    1.1 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/RotationXToggleOff.png
    1.1 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/PositionZToggleOn.png
    1.1 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/PositionZToggleOff.png
    1.1 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/PositionYToggleOn.png
    1.1 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/PositionYToggleOff.png
    1.1 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/PositionXToggleOn.png
    1.1 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/PositionXToggleOff.png
    1.1 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/ScaleZToggleOn.png
    1.1 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/ScaleZToggleOff.png
    1.1 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/ScaleYToggleOn.png
    1.1 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/ScaleYToggleOff.png
    1.1 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/ScaleXToggleOn.png
    1.1 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/ScaleXToggleOff.png
    1.1 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/IncrementPreset2.png
    1.1 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/IncrementPreset1.png
    1.1 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/IncrementLabel.png
    1.1 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/HierarchyDown.png
    1.1 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/GridSizePreset.png
    1.1 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/RotateRight.png
    1.1 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/RotateLeft.png
    1.1 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/MoveRight.png
    1.1 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/MoveForward.png
    1.1 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/HierarchyUp.png
    1.1 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/Duplicate.png
    1.1 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/AnglePreset2.png
    1.1 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/AnglePreset1.png
    1.1 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/Unparent.png
    1.1 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/MoveUp.png
    1.1 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/MoveLeft.png
    1.1 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/MoveDown.png
    1.1 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/MoveBack.png
    0.9 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/Spacer.png
    0.8 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/GUI/BG.jpg
    0.8 kb 0.0% Assets/SnazzyTools/SnazzyGrid/Resources/SnazzySettings.prefab
    any chance of an update ETA or patch to clear it up.

It's stuffing up the build logs, is a waste, requires manual intervention and overrides and surely can't be that tough to fix?

Thanks muchly

please elide the chuff from the builds ( I waited a month before bumping)

I also forwarded this to your support mail in the interests of "not being annoying" and expecting you to get a notification.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  35. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

Does this work when working with the new UI? (The grid snapping, and placing especially!)

If yes, you have just earned yourself a new happy customer!

36. Meceka

Meceka

Hello, I just started using snazzygrid, when snazzygrid tab is available in the layout (doesn't need to be on top, even when it's behind some other tab) and when "I right click hold, rotate scene view", it reduces scene views performance very bad. It works about 2fps I suppose. I tested this behavior on 2 computers and it works the same (performance reduction is almost same where desktop computer is faster). Closing snazzygrid tab removes performance impact completely and unity works smooth again.

Then, after testing in an empty scene, I realised it doesn't slow down in that scene.
    Then I tried disabling most of the objects in my scene, and realised that less objects enabled in hierarchy, better the performance. My scenes are huge, yes. But they all work perfectly when snazzygrid is disabled. When snazzygrid is disabled scene view doesn't slow down even when I accidentally loaded same scene on top with application.loadleveladditive.

Weird thing is that, selecting an object and hitting f, or moving on scene with middle mouse button held doesn't cause a slow down, but it only slows down when holding right button in scene view and rotating. Holding right button without moving mouse, and going forward with holding W doesn't cause a slowdown, but when I move mouse it slows considerably.

Unity 4.6.2pro, intel i7 4790k, intel onboard gpu 16gb ram.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
    twobob likes this.
  37. failman

failman

Hi there! SnazzyGrid is indeed an easy and solid tool to use, but there are some things that cause discomfort using it in conjunction with the AssetServer. I often find the SnazzyGridPrefab modified for some reason and therefore have to reset it every time (this happens even if the grid is turned off).
    Thanks!

38. twobob

twobob

Wait. Asset server actually works for you?
    Dang. That's annoying. I must have given up on it 5 times now. Keeps resetting my projects to the 1st version.
    Does my head in.

39. failman

failman

Yep :) Works perfectly. I'm using Unity 4.6.1f1 Mac. Would be nice though to separate SnazzyGrid's settings to "local" and "remote" prefabs. So things like grid size and move increment would be available globally to all AssetServer clients, while local changes like hotkeys, OldPosition, etc would modify the local prefab and be ignored by the VCS.

40. twobob

twobob

hmm. Maybe I should think about a separate linux based server. It's probably the Win file system foofing up.

While you are doing your fixes, you can remove the Resource folder to somewhere sane as well ;D

41. twobob

twobob

Any chance of just a fix on this? Mondo annoying having to elide from builds. It's making me reticent to use it :(

42. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

Anyone knows if this works well with ProBuilder 2?

I wanted to purchase some grid assistance tool.
    But I don't see any rotation snapping with ProGrids
    like in Snazzy grid (In the promotional video at least.)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  43. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

So I purchased this and...

Sadly no, it does not work with ProBuilder..
    And neither with the new UI.

:(:(:(:(

*Heart breaks*

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  44. twobob

twobob

nor unity 5....

Gekigengar likes this.
  45. twobob

twobob

Great! Looking forward to it!

still

46. Becoming

Becoming

yes, i know, i know... sorry for the delay! I am busy just for a few more days and then i'll fix the invisible grid issue in the unity 5 beta. promised! Resources folder too...

edit: fixed!

Maybe it can work with the new UI but i'll have to look into that before i promise too much. The new UI does not use regular transforms so i see why it does not work.
    edit: uGUI aka Unity's new UI is now supported.

ProBuilder does not work with Gameobjects but on a component level and it would mean quite drastic changes, can't do much there. SnazzyGrid is not meant to replace ProGrid, it does different things and it is more of a general workflow improvement tool for unity, the fact that it also offers a local 3d grid is actually a goodie. Maybe the name is chosen unlucky, as it seems that people think it's just a grid and nothing more.

Hmm, to be honest i dont use the asset server so i can't tell right now, maybe it helps if you close the SnazzyGrid tab before you make a commit. Could be a workaround for now maybe. I think next week i have time to finally do the overdue update.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  47. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Good to hear of a forthcoming update :)

Any chance that it could support a locked/unlocked 3D grid like ProGrids ;)

48. Becoming

Becoming

Hey, i am working on the update now and was thinking about what you actually mean by locked grid...
    if you set the grid size to a very high value in the settings it would give you what you have in mind, or am i wrong?
    Anyway, by making the grid just very big it would not behave like a local grid anymore even if it technically is.

49. Becoming

Becoming

I just tested it with the new UI and for me it seems to work just fine, can you tell me what does not work for you?

50. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Hi,

Just referring to my post on page one here http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/snazzytools-snazzygrid-much-more-than-just-a-grid.253799/

If there was a way to lock the grid to an object e.g. by dragging the object to a field in the SG Inspector, then perhaps this might be achievable without too much additional effort. If this were possible then you may be able to have multiple such grids selectable by having a drop down combo box in the SG Inspector - thereby allowing the user to change really quickly.

Basically then SG could work as it is, but if the "Locked Object" field has an object in it then this would provide a placement grid like the picture/progrids instead. Not sure if setting the grid size to a very high value provides this because basically I think what I would like is for the grid to provide a "context" for placement for the local object - if this makes any sense.

Also it would be great if you could look at the focus issue as well:

The other thing I noticed which might be a slight bug is that when "Focus" is on and I move a block around, the screen is really jerky / judders when it follows the block. Is this something you have noticed or are aware of? (I'm on a Mac)

cheers,

Nalin