Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Snaps - Prototyping, Art, and Art HD

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AndrewAssetStore, Sep 17, 2019.

1. buFFalo94

buFFalo94

Who says a game must be made only on LTS version?
    Review is individual based on personal experience, what you are saying does not make sense at all

2. Hexer_

Hexer_

Unity team repeats that information over and over.
    LTS has locked-in tech and it's the most stable you can get at this moment.
    Don't be surprised if things break in other versions.
    Here is that info on a 2019.2 page.
    https://unity.com/releases/2019-2

I wish you all the best but don't be surprised if you encounter more issues than you hoped for in a non-LTS version.

Attached Files:

3. RavenLiquid

RavenLiquid

Then why release non-LTS version at all? Why not make all .1 version Alpha, .2 Beta and .3 RC?

The only thing LTS releases have is longer support, but if you make smaller games I don't see why you should bother with that. Why wait a year on new tech if you can start now and most likely be done before the next LTS drops?

buFFalo94 likes this.
  4. buFFalo94

buFFalo94

Really!
    And is unity who is developing your game for you? To decide which technology or which version is better for you?
    My last post question was ironical!
    People doesn't just understand what is LTS and they forget that LTS started with unity 2017. So based on what @Hexer_ said all games made on non-LTS version should be buggy and unstable since only LTS version is stable right?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  5. _Auron_

_Auron_

I pretty much can't import anything from the this snaps package. Unity won't even let me.

I've never seen this problem before with a unity asset. Anyone have a clue?

6. JohRJ

JohRJ

@_Auron_
    Just wondering. Is your project path very long? I had a somewhat similar problem with my own packages once, turned out to be the path + filenames etc was too long. Apparently Windows has a limit, and then funky things like this happen.

7. _Auron_

_Auron_

I thought of that and tried to import it into a new project that was closer to root - no go. Also, I've got plenty of space available, so that's not an issue either.

8. capilitanadie

capilitanadie

Why its not working on 2019.2.5f1 do i need to install some requirements ? please make an instructions thanks

9. ron-bohn

ron-bohn

Not sure, but it might not have said that initially...
    @kdgalla Thanks for giving your feedback. I too use blender, especially for sculpting! Your workflow is fairly common. I've done it myself pretty much how you describe, but atlases are pretty straight forward to combine manually into one big atlas as long as you use grid snapping and rectangular UV shapes. ...just select all the UV's and move them to the right coordinates on your bigger composite atlas. Using the the UV editor with probuilder directly within unity is really useful...have you ever tried it? Anyways, that's how I'm doing it nowadays...it's fast and the results are the "low set-pass calls" that we love.

Using one of the automated tools is better than no atlasing, but as you may know you can get a lot more mileage by manually figuring your UV's and textures...sometimes triple the efficiency or more for me at least.

10. Hexer_

Hexer_

To each their own. Use what you want, but try looking at the big picture.
    Maybe Unity doesn't have enough internal testers so they use developers who jump at the newest non-LTS version for tech testing purposes?
    In any case, I'm sticking with 2018 LTS - so far no issues with my Snaps there.

11. StevenHolwerda

StevenHolwerda

There seems to be a contradiction here. You're saying that you shouldn't use anything that is less stable than LTS and yet to use these packs with 2018.4, you need to use preview versions of LWRP and HDRP? Aren't preview packages less stable than unity versions that have already passed through alpha and beta testing?

_Auron_ likes this.
  12. Hexer_

Hexer_

Yes but I'm not using LWRP nor HDRP in my project, yet!
    Until 2019 LTS I plan to stick to Standard pipeline and do all the art conversion manually.
    But, I tested Snaps in 2018 LTS HDRP and didn't find any issues.

I know the situation I wrote about here a couple of days ago wasn't something I imagined..
    just read the comments below this blog post to see what others are going through
    https://blogs.unity3d.com/2019/10/1...lus-subscriptions-to-change-on-january-1-2020

13. Aulexian

Aulexian

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  14. AndrewAssetStore

AndrewAssetStore

Unity Technologies

Usually this indicates the download didn't really complete, and the solution would be to re-download the file. With such a large download, this happens more often than usual.

If that doesn't work, please contact support@unity3d.com and they can help dig deeper.

15. Aulexian

Aulexian

AndrewAssetStore likes this.
  16. arcanereality

arcanereality

Workin on the Oculus Quest (using Universal render pipeline), does this asset not support that / are there plans too

17. AndrewAssetStore

AndrewAssetStore

Unity Technologies

With optimization, the HD packs potentially could work on VR (and depending on the project itself), but are not designed to.

The Snaps Prototype packs should have no problem in vr.

18. shredingskin

shredingskin

Some feedback:
    -Asian residential HDRP / Prototype pack.
    How is this "Snaps" or modular ? The HD pack has only 5 prebuilt buildings, it's not modular in any way, which makes the prototype pack pretty much useless.
    Another thing to point out is that a lot of the prototype pieces don't tile between each other, so it can't even be used to build something and change the materials.

-The same problem happens with the office pack (both prototype and HD), most of the pack is a bunch of modular walls that don't tile between each other, pretty much useless.
    I haven't tried all the other prototype packs, but I don't think it's a problem of those packs only.

-The construction pack is pretty ok. Actually like the variety on vehicles here.

-The first ICON pack was a little underwhelming, the first pack has a really good looking character, but very little amount of props, mostly a bunch of rocks and foliage. Some animations have bad root motion (for example the running forward ends tilting to the sides).
    The second pack is a lot better in the modularity/useability and ammount of props.
    For both 3/4s of the size is due to the uncompressed audio (which is good to always have the source IMO).

-The HD Market was actually a delight, a lot of props, truly modular with many variants, well built and usable prefabs (with both modular and merged versions of buildings), modular road, prefabbed decals, extra height maps just all around great, and seems that since it's the last one created that you are getting better, so kudos on that.
    I don't mind about the optimization, you can always change the textures resolutions, make atlases, merge geometry, but it doesn't work the other way around, and they are sold as high quality assets (for the HDRP that isn't even "out" yet), so I prefer it.

WanSCAD, JohRJ and AndrewAssetStore like this.
  19. steffenbk1

steffenbk1

When i imported it into my game everything lost their shades and went purple, and so i launched a another project and imported it there. But how do i export it with textures? the fbx export dosnt take with the shades of it

20. AndrewAssetStore

AndrewAssetStore

Unity Technologies

Which package are you referring to? It sounds like maybe a mismatch in render pipeline.

21. donkey0t

donkey0t

I'm so angry about the amount time I've wasted trying to get this to work. I'm using 2018.4.13f1 and I'm getting a ton of error messages like this;
    Errors during import of AudioClip Assets/UnityIconCollective/SnapsArtHDBuriedMemoriesVolume2Serekh/Art/Audio/AMB/AMB_Specifics_Loop/AMB_Machinery_Cooling_Tank_Loop_Mono/AMB_Machinery_Cooling_Tank_Liquid_High_Loop_Mono/AMB_Machinery_Cooling_Tank_Liquid_High_Loop_Mono_02.wav:
    FSBTool ERROR: Internal error from FMOD sub-system.

What mysterious version does this thing work on?

22. donkey0t

donkey0t

Well no, it states '2018.3.6 or higher' and above. Only when you unfold the show more do you get the further info.

23. donkey0t

donkey0t

Same with 2018.3.14f, how do you get this to work?

24. Romaleks360

Romaleks360

Is there a way to use Snaps Art Office with default render pipeline? Manually changing shaders to Standard or smth?

25. Romaleks360

Romaleks360

Anyone? I really need to know this. I don't want to spend my money to realize that it's not suitable for my project at all. I suppose it's not that easy to make Snaps Art compatible with default renderer, and so I want to hear why.

26. buFFalo94

buFFalo94

Don't waste your money and time if you plan to use it with default renderer
    Look for something else

27. Romaleks360

Romaleks360

I don't see anything similar on the assetstore
    I really need modular office
    There's an asset by Finward Studios (https://assetstore.unity.com/packag.../office-and-police-station-pack-modular-74311), but I think it's too heavy for mobile and more expensive. I believe that Snaps Art Office would suit my needs more.
    Here on the first page, someone managed to change all the materials for about 2 hours - it's not a big deal I guess

28. buFFalo94

buFFalo94

I also own some of span assets including the one you are talking about and i did try to convert construction site but there's some assets which use layered materials which can't be easily converted to default renderer (because default renderer does not support layered materials).
    But yeah conversion is doable....

29. Romaleks360

Romaleks360

Thank you for your reply! Can you say something about performance? Is it ok for mobile? There's no info about polycount and I think it should be stated in the asset description...
    Anyway, I think I'll try to convert it and see how it will look like. No easy ways with this user-friendly pack huh

I think it's strange to make Snaps not compatible with the default renderer everyone uses

30. buFFalo94

buFFalo94

Yeah hdrp is not production ready yet but they decided to use either way.
    Regarding the polycount I would say it's okay for mobile at least for some assets from construction site snaps

Romaleks360 likes this.
  31. Phailhammer

Phailhammer

I just downloaded Snaps Prototype | Office, and found that almost everything is missing its mesh. I don't have the same issue with the Industrial pack. The only difference I can see is that there are no mesh folders in Office where there are in Industrial.

32. hridpath

hridpath

You really should edit the Asset Store description of all of your products that these will not work with the current releases of Unity 2019. I made multiple purchases with the intent to use them with 2019.2 + during the Mega Sale. I am very disapointed that I have to use 2018.4 when we are at the end of 2019.

What are your plans for updating these for 2019.3 +?

ChaosResolution, transat and Kwwa like this.
  33. donkey0t

donkey0t

Finally sussed the problem. The error messages are useless, the actual problem is that the the file paths are too long. Created a project with a small path and it imported without any issues.

34. Bokus

Bokus

Hi,

I have an issue with Snaps Art HD | Asian Residential.
    When I upgraded my project to Unity 2018.4.14f1, I got this error:
    Maximum number (256) of shader keywords exceeded, keyword OUTLINE_ON will be ignored.

Object looks like this now in the scene

I tried re-importing and it didn't work. Tried creating new project in Unity 2018.4.14f1 and importing, still the same.
    Anyone experienced same issue?

35. ChaosResolution

ChaosResolution

I also purchased the Snaps Mega Bundle. Disappointing that some of Snaps Art (such as Office) have to be imported as complete projects. Why can't I just import the models to use for prototyping in my own project?

36. mhernandez88

mhernandez88

Elin42 likes this.
  37. radiantboy

radiantboy

This seems nice but all the materials are broken out of the box for me. I realise that I need to swap them to standard shader if im not using hdrp etc.. but when I do so the actual albedo is lost on some of the materials. Plus all the materials are in many subfolders... so I spent ages trying to fix them all but still many are broken. So ultimately my question is, can you make alternative versions of these packs which include standard shader all working already? Theyre very expensive and essentially not working out of the box for some ordinary people. My major problem is probably ive exceeded the shader keywords, this is a constant fight because I dont know which shaders I am safe to delete (may write a script for this)... im assuming they might just work if this wasnt the case?...

markusj, JBR-games and Kwwa like this.
  38. radiantboy

radiantboy

Bought 2 of these, neither work, all materials broken. I did not see that it needs 2018, I assumed you could simply set shader to standard and they'd work. Is there any plan to update these so they work on later unitys?

39. ron-bohn

ron-bohn

How many textrures are you putting into the standard shader? At the least, you will you want to have:

1) A diffuse shader or main texture (that looks most like what the surface will look like). This is in the editor window when you select the material(s) that is associated with your 3d game objects.

2) You have a normal map, put that on there for 3d look.

...drag and drop the textures of your choice onto the the material, shader of your choice and whoalla, you're going from srp, to hdrp, whatever 3d?

40. radiantboy

radiantboy

thanks, yes I could fix them all manually, but it would take a long time, usually when you convert to standard it automatically takes the albedo, normal map etc for you, but these ones dont seem to. If they were all in one directory and this worked I would have no problem converting them to standard. But without that it is going to be a lot of trial and error just to use it.

ron-bohn likes this.
  41. bthanse

bthanse

Somethink I do wrong ? I use HDRP 2018.4.14, but walls and roofs go away or transparent from inside when I use the HD package. Go to 3:25 in the video and see buildings go away.

42. JBR-games

JBR-games

as mentioned somewhere in this thread, some of the textures are not included in a standard sense are imbeded into the rgb of other textures... so not so easy..

ron-bohn likes this.
  43. bthanse

bthanse

How can I fix this prefabs that I can see thro ? A lot of optioons are disabled. I get a message thet I am offline, can not understanding that.

44. ron-bohn

ron-bohn

If you create a building that you only see from outside, then you don't want to render what you can't see. Game Objects that do this are commonly called "facades" and they are not supposed to have 2 sides. What you are seeing is not an error, it's just how that particular object was made. It's very common practice. Hope this helps.

45. bthanse

bthanse

I got a error message in this assets "Check out, Perforce server and port not set, Ignoring connection request" so I can not chose what scene I can build and run. How to fix this ?

upload_2020-1-20_12-19-36.png

46. f1chris

f1chris

someone can tell me if the snaps UV Layout are designed with trim sheets in mind ?

47. AndrewAssetStore

AndrewAssetStore

Unity Technologies

it seems be caused by the version control setting. Please change "Perforce" to "Visible meta files", the issue would be resolved. (Project settings > Editor > Version Control > Mode)

setting.jpg

bthanse likes this.
  48. zeb33

zeb33

Apologies if this has been asked before. Are there plans to make the packs URP ready in the future?
    Thanks

JBR-games likes this.
  49. AndrewAssetStore

AndrewAssetStore

Unity Technologies

No ETA, but yes, this is something that we'd like to have done.

zeb33 likes this.
  50. PeppersGamer

PeppersGamer

The dungeon assets needs separate parts for railings and posts. There are issues where there is a need for an overlapping element at the corners. The corners rail objects sometime have a lap area without anything to connect with it. Also it would be great if the walls have a better column asset that works like a half column. if not they just stick out the other side of the walls.

Attached Files: