Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Snaps - Prototyping, Art, and Art HD

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AndrewAssetStore, Sep 17, 2019.

1. AndrewAssetStore

AndrewAssetStore

Unity Technologies

Snaps assets packs simplify your workflow so you can save time and resources bringing your project to life.

Creating 3D games is quick and easy with Snaps
    Art creation is one of the most time-consuming tasks in game development and can take up more than 50% of production resources. Teams of all sizes and experience levels frequently source art, yet it can be challenging to find quality collections of assets that are visually consistent and compatible with your specifications.

Snaps asset packs solve that problem by providing themed collections of assets that will help you streamline your workflow from prototype to production.​

Questions & Support
    Feel free to contact support@unity3d.com or post your questions here. Let us know which Snap pack you are using, your system & editor specifications, and any other details that we may need to help you out.

ron-bohn likes this.
  2. ron-bohn

ron-bohn

Snaps are built very similar to private assets I have been developing so they interest me. I have looked at the snaps packages and all I can say is that the package sizes are huge and not very well optimized. For example, the snaps office art pack is around 1 gb....that's a bit much eh? For the visual fidelity, you could make the same thing with 4096 atlas and keep the size under 50 mb and well under 20mb for a 2048 atlas. Why are we not at least using trim sheet atlases? If I am missing something here, please let me know. I am interested in publishing some of my kits under the snaps protocol, but I think there is enormous improvements that can be made on efficiency and optimization standards.

Currently as I see it, the snaps packages have not gained popularity because:

1) The snaps art packs are so large that many novice indie devs can't or won't import them on lower end machines.
    2) The packs are so poorly optimized that advanced 3d designers would rather roll their own.
    3) Not webGL and mobile friendly...even for desktop I just see wasted resources

Vaupell and AndrewAssetStore like this.
  3. TheDemiurge

TheDemiurge

I tried out the two free prototyping packs and bought the $10 bundle, and... I'm not sure if it's these packages or just Unity 2019.3 or what. But they take forever to import, they take forever just to mark static, I even had Unity hang on one of them multiple times and ended up deleting that prefab.
    Some of the scenes (like the Train Station) take well over a minute just to load in the editor, and a similar time just to play. And I'm not running it on a potato, it's on an i7-6700k with a gtx970.
    There are always a bunch of warnings and errors coming up from doing anything with them.
    They all come with some missing FP camera script (either include it or remove it).
    Moving things around in the scene sometimes causes things to just disappear and they don't show up until relaunching Unity.
    Some of the prefabs literally have nothing when you open them in Prefab Mode..

This whole thing is a mess.

Vaupell and AndrewAssetStore like this.
  4. AndrewAssetStore

AndrewAssetStore

Unity Technologies

Thanks for your feedback! On the atlas question, we specifically don't atlas the textures as once we do that, it's very difficult to go back. We know it's possible that someone may want to use only a few props from this package in their game, and may want to atlas the textures with others in their project, for instance.

_slash_, Delforce and hopeful like this.
  5. ron-bohn

ron-bohn

I understand the difficulty of this decision on your end regarding atlases. The thing is that they are really not real-time ready. I've been considering creating duplicate sets for 3d assets; one with atlas and one set with separate textures. I for one appreciate assets that are atlased because there is usually a higher attention to efficient use of trims and you can always take an image from one atlas and put it in another. With the exception of a small number of tiling textures in a scene, the quality don't need to be 4096 to look good in first person.

AndrewAssetStore likes this.
  6. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

Is there any way to get the HD packages working on 2019 and not using HDRP? I received a few of the packs from the recent Unity Humble Bundle and was quite disappointed to see that they required 2018.4 and HDRP. I don't need super great graphics but I'm just looking for a few different small environments for my VR project and thought I could build some interesting ones with the Serekh and Construction packages.

JimInNH and Elin42 like this.
  7. ron-bohn

ron-bohn

I've been going back and forth by just changing/adjusting the shaders....just change the material to standard shader (or similar nonHDRP shader) and use the applicable/usable textures from the HDRP shader. Make sure your adjusted material is on the assets. UV mapping and such should be intact from the original asset mesh and is not affected by changing the shader to standard.

People that are reporting that "everything is pink" and such are simply just not doing the above.

markusj, Vaupell, JBR-games and 4 others like this.
  8. AndrewAssetStore

AndrewAssetStore

Unity Technologies

What he said :)

Yes, I'm looking to see if there is any way we can get an auto conversion tool. HDRP can be tricky though, as depending on the project, it's possible that the textures wont' at all work with the standard shader or UnviersalRP, though in many cases, they still will.

Delforce, ron-bohn and GoesTo11 like this.
  9. ron-bohn

ron-bohn

This is sounds like it could be dangerous considering the added complexity of the project settings...a fully automated tool would have to take that into consideration and could be a big can of worms. https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/normal-map-maker-10388 might be a little out-of-date, if anything, it would be nice to have something like this just built-in to unity. I think it took like 30 seconds the first time to change the shader, in my opinion I'm not sure I would use an automated tool for this if one existed. Other people might have other needs. It might be just as easy to simply make textures that work with both. That's my game plan for now anyways.

10. Elin42

Elin42

oh wow
    That's a lot of work getting all the assets to run with default and LWRP... or the current HDRP.
    Can you guys maybe include the substance files?

11. ron-bohn

ron-bohn

What process are you using to do this...most of the time it is literally just a matter of selecting the appropriate shader from a drop-down menu. The way I'm doing it is literally faster than the time it takes to microwave a burrito and requires no extra tools or scripting. If it's taking you a long time, ask and I'm sure someone will help you speed up your workflow for this.

12. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

I don't know why the Snaps Art HD packs don't come with the assets in both LWRP/URP and HDRP flavors (and for that matter, why not support the legacy pipeline?). At that kind of premium pricing, the art pack should be ready to go and use regardless of a user's render pipeline choice. Forcing URP users to have to play sneakerware games to force compatibility with a current shipping render pipeline... seems like the exact opposite of what the Snaps lineup is meant to help game developers do.

dhanxmhqbx, f1chris and Elin42 like this.
  13. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

Can anyone give me a walkthrough on this? Everything just turns pink to for me. I am using some of the chamber wall/floor and ceiling pieces in the serekh pack.

Edit: I tried this pack out in 2018.4 and it works but I also imported the prototype snap kit and that was all pink.

Overall, it is a very frustrating asset.

dhanxmhqbx likes this.
  14. Elin42

Elin42

I'm using the construction snaps.
    When switching the shader only the albedo map stays on some materials. So I have to find for every material the right normal map and assign it. Everything that has a layered HDRP shader don't get any map assigned.
    All the glass or double sided Materials need special treatment.
    Yes I went through all assets and switched the shader and assigned the textures. But without Metallic maps everything doesn't looks nice and took me about two hours.
    If I want to use these assets in my production I defensively have to go through substance to recreate the metallic maps to get usable results.
    For premium assets like these I would find it fair if the source files would be included.
    It would be nice if standard and lwrp would be included but i know how much work that involves.
    But I would appreciate it very much if the substance files gets included, so I can export the textures for my target platform on my own.

markusj likes this.
  15. victoriap_unity

victoriap_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Elin,

Unfortunately adding Substance source files will make the package extremely heavy, we cannot do that. However I found a workaround for you. Metallic map is currently stored in Mask Map in red channel in Construction site. So you need to open the mask map texture, let's say in Photoshop, save only red channel as a separate file and you will have a Metallic map. Hope this helps.

f1chris likes this.
  16. Elin42

Elin42

hmm
    I'm using affinity designer for all my texture work.
    There is no option to extract color channels.
    So absolutely no chance to get the substance files?

17. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

There are a lot of free tools that would do it easily including Gimp, ImageMagick, ImageJ etc. ImageMagick is command line so you could probably write a script to automatically process a bunch of images at once.

victoriap_unity likes this.
  18. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

I've made a little progress. It works if I import the package into a new non-hdrp project.

19. victoriap_unity

victoriap_unity

Unity Technologies

No, unfortunately there's no chance to get substance files.

20. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

So what are the other channels in the MaskMap image? And what is the BNM texture on some materials? It looks like a normal map but the material already has a normal map.

Thanks

21. ron-bohn

ron-bohn

I explained how to do this in a previous post. Just change the shader from the drop-down menu in the inspector. Also, writing a script to do a batch process might not be the best solution for an artist...not exactly user friendly which is supposed to be a selling point of snaps.

The package is already extremely heavy and unoptimized. I counted 74 materials in the construction pack (oh my draw calls btw). 74 materials * 3mb = 222mb....so just to be clear, it would be a matter of making a 2.2 gb package around 2.4 gb...!? Procedural materials could also potentially eliminate the need for flat textures and actually significantly decrease the overall package size.

I don't mean any disrespect, but I simply don't see the logic here (or for the current state of any of the snaps packages). Using substance files (or even shadergraph or whatever) wouldn't that make the package much smaller being procedural and all?

On a related note, Quantum Theory and Synty Studios are among the very few developers that actually make art assets ready for realtime 3D here on the asset store. I'm not affiliated with them, I'm just stating fact. "Asset Store Originals" should look at how they make their assets and use that as a starting point. 99% of the 3d assets on the store is extremely bloated and belong on TurboSquid, not a real-time store. Years ago when I was a total newbie, I wasted a lot of money of assets that are completely unusable without heavy modification and basically completely retexturing. I wish there was some more strict vetting for 3D assets that are allowed to be on the store and you should make a category for "atlased" 3D art. I also miss being able to search assets based on package size.

Optimization is my specialty and these snaps packs would simply be way too much work for me to get ready for real-time in an actual game. I would have to redo all the UV's so really the only benefit is to save time on modeling which really isn't that time consuming compared to UV mapping. All of this is also very important to VR among other things.

Lastly, when people make games in Unity using such unoptimized assets, end-consumers of their games end up dissing unity because to the average gamer thinks it's because the engine sucks (which is not the case). Bottom line, unoptimized assets do more harm than good including indirectly making unity look bad to the unknowing general public who consume "unity made games". I really think your team should completely re-think the snaps packages when it comes to the use of materials. Encourage good practices to make assets run fast. This is not maya, it's real-time 3D and assets should be made for real-time 3D.

Some of the responses regarding atlases and procedural materials are borderline ridiculous and makes me wonder if those responding even know what I'm talking about. Sorry....I'm a little frustrated, OCD about optimization, but overall I think there is much benefit for Unity and it's customers within what I've said here.

JimInNH, jbooth, JBR-games and 2 others like this.
  22. ron-bohn

ron-bohn

23. JohRJ

JohRJ

idoleat and Elin42 like this.
  24. H4ppyTurtle

H4ppyTurtle

I got the impression that the whole purpose of the Snaps packages is to be able to create a scene by snapping to a grid, namely ProGrid. Now I bought the Asian Residential Prototype and HD package, but I don't get how your intended workflow is. The prototype sample scene has a road built with ProBuilder, now I want to swap the road out with the road of the HD package. But this does not work at all, the road of the HD package is just a non-modular edge road piece, that I can't fit together by rotating.
    What is the whole point of the Snaps packages, in what matter are they modular? Is the only feature that the pivots of the models are in a corner and I have a low poly and a high poly mesh? I couldn't really find resources on working effectively with these packages and how the prototyping and art scenes should work together.
    The description states: "Works with: Snaps Prototype | Asian Residential" What does that mean?

crawfis and R0man like this.
  25. kdgalla

kdgalla

I haven't had a chance to check-out the HDRP yet, but I'm also interested in using these in the built-in renderer.

If the red channel of the HDRP mask map is metallic and the alpha channel is smoothness, then wouldn't this also work fine as the Standard shader's metalness/smoothness map just as it is, with no need for alteration?

26. JohRJ

JohRJ

I haven't tried it but yes it should work that way.

27. AndrewAssetStore

AndrewAssetStore

Unity Technologies

Thanks for your note. I wasn't able to find road pieces in the Prototype package. Can you send a screenshot of what you're referring to?

28. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

It looks like it works. I only tried it out on one model but it looks good to me.

29. eterlan

eterlan

Hi! I try to import Snap Prototype | Asian Residential in my project. The sample scene is amazing, but all the prefab is missing script"ProBuilderMesh", no Mesh Filter so none of the prefab works. What should I do?
    I use Mac10.14, Unity 2019.2 with default RP.

30. JohRJ

JohRJ

@eterlan Do you have latest ProBuilder installed?

31. Dreamcube017

Dreamcube017

Hi, I've purchased Buried Memories Volume 2 prototype and i8t doesn't work with the version of Unity I have. I'm trying to request a refund, but when I go to support, they just say contact the seller, but the support email goes directly to Unity so.... what do I do?

32. AndrewAssetStore

AndrewAssetStore

Unity Technologies

Make sure you have pro builder installed -- you can install it using the Package Manager

ron-bohn likes this.
  33. AndrewAssetStore

AndrewAssetStore

Unity Technologies

Can you PM me your email? That shouldn't happen -- I'll take care of this for you.

34. RavenLiquid

RavenLiquid

I have the same issue. If I click on the script in the inspector it jumps to the right script in the folder view, but it does nothing. The error shown in the inspector says to fix all the compile errors but there are none.

ProBuilder (4.1.0) is installed.
    Unity version: 2019.2.8f1

35. H4ppyTurtle

H4ppyTurtle

Here is a screenshot of the prefab I am referring to. The prototype package sample scene has a simple road built with ProBuilder. But the HD package has a road prefab with curbstone, that isn't really modular. At least I can't figure out how to use that prefab with ProGrid.

SnapsPackageRoadPrefab.PNG

36. AndrewAssetStore

AndrewAssetStore

Unity Technologies

I see -- I've been told the "ground" in the prototyping pack isn't meant to be a street, but rather just a ground layer, generic, so the buildings don't float in the air.

37. H4ppyTurtle

H4ppyTurtle

I get that and that is totally fine and not my problem. I'm referring to the HD package road prefab. That one is not modular and can't be shaped like the ground layer in the prototyping package. So I can't really build a complete scene with the HD package, or at least only with the given street shape. And that defeats the purpose of the package for me.

38. AndrewAssetStore

AndrewAssetStore

Unity Technologies

Fully understand. Would you like to get a refund on the pack? If it's not going to work out for your project, we can get you a refund for it. If so, please PM me your invoice number and email used.

39. AndrewAssetStore

AndrewAssetStore

Unity Technologies

Hmm we weren't able to replicate this issue. Are there other assets that may be causing it? Do you know which render pipeline you're in?

40. H4ppyTurtle

H4ppyTurtle

Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it, but I want to keep the package. I just wanted to give feedback. And I think a little explanation what the compatibility between Prototype and HD packages means would help. And of course I would love a modular road piece for the Asian HD package.

Edit: The recently published blog post helps a lot. For example I didn't know about the Swap Tool. Why not include this information in the packages?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  41. RavenLiquid

RavenLiquid

I created an empty HDRP project and imported the package. Nothing else, checked that probuilder was there.

It is strange that there are no errors anywhere, just the script in the inspector without any clear indication what is wrong (as there are no compile errors as claimed by the message).

42. AndrewAssetStore

AndrewAssetStore

Unity Technologies

Someone on our team was able to replicate the problem, and suggested removing ProBuilder manually, and then using Package Manager to reinstall ProBuilder. Can you give that a try?

43. buFFalo94

buFFalo94

Snaps are good visually but are not optimized at all. Let's just take an example of construction site, some of the assets use layered materials and some combination of UV and UV1 for mask and textures (Too much complexity for nothing)
    Things get very bad when you try to look at draw calls. Just one vehicle more than 300 draw calls WTF??? Is this things really made for real-time rendering ???

I'm pretty sure texturing was made with substance painter so why one layer for dirt one layer for rust instead they can just export one merged texture.
    I've merged texture from all layers just to see if the multi layer and the single layer material look different, guess what?
    There's no difference they almost identical, so what the point of using layered materials.
    I just don't understand why they did it that way!

Assets are not usable for game. The main scene is like 46M of tris :eek::eek::eek:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    ron-bohn and R0man like this.
  44. AndrewAssetStore

AndrewAssetStore

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the feedback. The layers were used for customization, so that each user can better customize the look of the objects. Optimization is also left to users, as that is more of a project-specific task, similar to making texture atlases only when the textures being used in a project are locked, to better optimize the atlases themselves.

45. buFFalo94

buFFalo94

Sorry I don't want to be disrespectful but that is bulls***, these packs were done more like personal projects than like something intended to be used by other people.

Zillus, blackbird and R0man like this.
  46. RavenLiquid

RavenLiquid

That worked, strange though. Materials still didn't work, so I replaced them with a simple shadergraph that takes the same color/smoothness/metallic parameters. There are only a few so it is relatively little work to do it.

47. ron-bohn

ron-bohn

Andrew are you a turbosquid undercover agent? lol. There is no reason to not use atlases other than not taking the time to do it. I'm sorry, but I wholeheatedly disagree with you on this. Creating atlases and UV mapping is by far the most tedious and time consuming aspect of realtime 3d level design. If the whole point is saving your customers time, then where does that leave us? Desktop and mobile games should both use atlases and there is a common misconception that optimized assets are just for mobile games!?! The only reason imo to avoid atlases for any platform affected by modern rendering technology is because it's a lot more work to do it that way. I won't put it as bluntly as that other user, but that was honestly what I was thinking too.

48. kdgalla

kdgalla

Just to weigh-in, I prefer the flexibility of un-atlased textures. Unless I'm actually using all or most of the models in the pack in one single scene then the majority of the texture will be full of unused islands that are just wasting space. If I compose a scene out of models from several different packs (plus I'll always have models that I make myself) then I'll still have multiple textures and they'll have tons of pointless texture space that I'm not even using. I prefer to compose my scene first and use an automatic tool or Blender to atlas the textures if I need to. I don't know how common or rare my workflow is but for me it doesn't make a lot of sense to have an entire asset pack come pre-atlased.

Edit: of course, you could always include both versions.

hopeful, ron-bohn and JohRJ like this.
  49. uncoveredspellcaster

uncoveredspellcaster

Does anyone know why the prefabs in my project window do not have a preview or an icon instead of just a blue square icon?

Attached Files:

• ev.PNG
      ev.PNG
      File size:
      13.1 KB
      Views:
  50. Hexer_

Hexer_

I'm shocked to see people are giving one or two star reviews for these awesome assets on the store.
    It clearly says you must use 2018 LTS and still there are people who'll come and cry how it's not working in 2019.
    Why are people even trying to produce their games in a non-stable Unity versions?
    As far as I know, Unity 2019 LTS isn't released yet.

Laboriax and AndrewAssetStore like this.