Search Unity

SnapFast - An easy to use and complete snapping tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Louis8257, Mar 4, 2022.

1. Louis8257

Louis8257

Hi everyone, I was working on a big project and I came to a conclusion that a snapping tool that snaps prefabs from anywhere in the prefab's space would be great for everyone! This is why I made SnapFast, a tool to create and place snap points wherever you like.
    SnapFast is available on the asset store! Check it out in the asset store link!
    If you have any questions, feel free to reply to this post!

/// Louis-Pierre Aubert

SnapFast is a snapping tool independant from the standard snapping grid, allowing you to place a snapping point exactly wherever you need. Say goodbye to the time wasted trying to move and rotate manually your prefabs, you can now focus on the most important tasks of your game project.

A toolbox is also provided so you can add snap points on your model directly or edit them. You can select vertices for perfect allignments!

Its built-in tag system adds more modularity so you can adjust and test several tags for a snap point easily. Each snap point also have their own universal tag, for testing purposes.

Compatible with physical objects like rigidbodies, joints, ragdolls and more! You can customize the snapping and fasten behaviours with the included interface.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
  2. Louis8257

Louis8257

A new update for SnapFast has been released! It includes new appearance options, minimizable editor tool window and specific fixes related to the latest versions of Unity like unsigned enums.

Changelog v1.1

Additions
    • New appearances options: can create an appearance for each snapping states! A mesh can be displayed as gizmo to preview the snapped object. You will lost the previous appearance data but the new class used for storing appearances will prevent that in the future.
    • Staticity: will prioritize static GameObjects over fixed snap points objects and will not move static objects first. See the documentation for more information
    Changes
    • Scope flags: the 2021 versions of Unity are using unsigned value for enums and the "Everything" tag should work now. SnapFast will correct that automatically. You can enable a notification by uncommenting a directive.
    • Minimizable editor tool window: you can reduce the window to show less information, for better handles ergonomy.
    • Corrected typos in documentations and in code documentations
    • Removed obsolete variables and unused constants

3. Louis8257

Louis8257

A new big update for SnapFast has been released! I didn't received any feedback at all in this thread or by e-mail, so I've been working on a new version with my feedbacks and bugs I've found. Feel free to suggest new features or report bugs here, it helps me alot :D

I also noticed that this asset is gaining popularity. So I've decided to implement features from the future versions and skipped v1.2 as a thank you for your support!

This update includes new snapping components like Snap Glue and Snap Volume. These will allow you to make a sticky ball or an explorable train, for example.

SnapFast is now 40% off until August 4th!

Changelog v1.3.0

Additions
    • New snap components: Snap Glue and Snap Volume, you can glue several objects together. New tags are also included, read the documentation for more details.
    • New debug components: Connectable Tester for snap points and Glue Connectable for snap glues and every objects inheriting from snap glue like snap volume.
    • New snap compatibility options: can prevent objects from snapping if their tags is in the excluded tags list.
    • New automation options: can toggle every colliders of a game object.
    Changes
    • Updated and added 59 pages to documentation and 12 pages to demonstration documentation
    • Corrected typos: in documentations and in code documentation.
    • Refactored code
    • Hidden console warnings related to SnapFast: for better development experience.
    Fixes
    • Can modify multiple snap points in the inspector
    • Joints will no longer makes the body falling: will auto-configure the joints so the body is locked into position.

4. Louis8257

Louis8257

Hello everyone! It's pretty empty here :rolleyes:

SnapFast just got a minor patch. It fixes all the known bugs that I've found.

"Where have you been?"

I've been pretty busy since the Unity monetization scandal back in September, I've decided to port SnapFast to several game engines. A prototype is working on Godot, but I may make an Unreal Engine port as well.
    I've also moved and now I'm trying to find new missions as a freelancer. If you're a game studio looking for a new programmer, please feel free to contact me here.

Just to reassure some of you, that doesn't mean I'm stopping programming on Unity. In fact I'm still using the engine for modding games like Ravenfield and, with the announcement of Unity 6, I'm excited to study the new possibilities. I'll also never drop support of my plugins.

SnapFast is now 50% off until the New Year! Start 2024 with one of the best snapping tools!

~~~

Changelog v1.3.1

Tweaks
    • Toolbox: some tooltips are clarified
    Fixes
    • Toolbox: the transform fields will no longer modify the selected SnapPoint in Creation Mode
    • SnapGlues will properly unsnap every instances of a SnapPoint on unsnap
    • Fixed exception generated by SnapPoint if target is null in line 662

5. foxzard

foxzard

hi,
    Good tool, I'm using it
    Is it possible to allow rotation of the snapped object
    e.g. a box to snap to top/bottom and allow only one of 4 rotations to align sides?

Thanks

6. Louis8257

Louis8257

Hello foxzard,

Thank you for showing interest into SnapFast! I'm very happy that you are the first person to post a message here :)

SnapFast automatically matches the rotation of both snapped objects.

To snap a box top/bottom, you can add a snap point on each faces with the editor tool. It will align with any snappable objects perfectly. You can find more about the snapping system in the official documentation in page 13.

7. foxzard

foxzard

Yes, I understand about auto rotation. Is it possible to somehow disable it, or allow to rotate the object a specific angle.
    e.g. in the pipe example how to snap the rotated prefab like on the image:
    https://gyazo.com/e1dad8727aa7a0afd72f7f5ba3a634d3

8. foxzard

foxzard

Also in the editor it should not move objects that are not selected&interacted...
    for example if I move something only this object can snap (jump) to other objects...

9. foxzard

foxzard

here is an example of the problem
    https://gyazo.com/c3da0199436e5639548709e183a0adc1
    It is kinda strange that moving one object and expecting it to snap to another one, (that is already placed in the right place), it changes its position and rotation.... Expected that the only active object snaps and all other just stay where they are....

10. Louis8257

Louis8257

Oh, I see the problem now! There's an option called "auto fasten" in the snap tag. Activating this option should prevent the snap point to snap with others to guarantee a solid snap. Keep in mind that snap points are very sensitive if you translate the object quickly.

11. foxzard

foxzard

If I enable "auto fasten" then it will be not possible to unsnap the object without unfastening it first.

btw is it possible to hide the white circles around the snap point? there are settings for point color and radius color but not this white circle

12. Louis8257

Louis8257

You're correct about the auto fasten part.

I can make the disc customizable, I'll implement it for the next update;) For now you can disable the gizmo for the snap points but it also hides the radius and center.