Search Unity

Smoothly Interpolate Values Relating To Camera Angle?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by TheDuples, Apr 14, 2019.

1. TheDuples

TheDuples

So effectively I have a camera which is locked onto my player, and the camera has the ability to zoom in on the player using the scroll wheel with set limits for it, however I am trying to figure out how I can make the camera angle change smoothly depending on how far I am from the player.

Code (CSharp):
    1. void LateUpdate ()
    2.     {
    3.         distance += Input.GetAxis("Mouse ScrollWheel");
    4.         distance = Mathf.Clamp(distance, distanceMinMax.x, distanceMinMax.y);
    6.         if (distance < 3)
    7.         {
    8.             // if the camera is closer than 3 units away change the y angle offset of the camera
    9.             offset.y = 2;
    10.         }
    11.         else
    12.         {
    13.             offset.y = 5;
    14.         }
    16.         transform.position = target.position + offset * distance;
    17.         transform.LookAt(target);
    18.     }
    This code here works, however the camera's angle changes instantly, but I would like it to change gradually between the two set values. I tried using Lerp, however I'm not sure how to use it in this particular context.
    Please help. Also if anyone has advice on how I can smooth the zoom without changing the sensitivity of the input settings, I would be most gracious.

2. TheDuples

TheDuples

Please help. I posted this late at night and so many may not have seen it.

3. lordofduct

lordofduct

lerp the position and rotation...

change the last 2 lines to something like:

Code (csharp):
    2. //tweak the 0.5 values to your liking, values closer to 0 are slower, values closer to 1 are fast
    3. transform.position = Vector3.Lerp(transform.position, target.position + offset * distance, 0.5f);
    4. transform.rotation = Quaternion.Slerp(transform.rotation, Quaternion.LookRotation(target.position - transform.position), 0.5f);
    You can also scale your incrementing of 'distance' as well. Something like:

Code (csharp):
    1. distance += Input.GetAxis("Mouse ScrollWheel") * speed; //where speed is some configurable value
    Maybe even through Time.deltaTime in there, see what happens...

4. TheDuples

TheDuples

Both of those suggestions work very nicely, thank you. There is a slight smoothing effect on the camera now, where if my character moves, the camera trails slightly behind, but I don't mind it that much so it's all good. I changed the last line back to transform.LookAt(target), as it doesn't seem to make a difference.