Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

"Smoothing" lost from Blender?

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by bigkahuna, Oct 16, 2006.

1. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Take a look at the 3 screenshots at the bottom of this post and you'll get an idea of the problem. The top picture is in Unity, the second is Blender and the last is the mesh in Blender. The mesh is admittedly ugly, but If I take that entire side and use "set solid" in Blender it looks fine. But when I bring it into Unity the smoothing info is lost. Any ideas or advice on how to fix?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Import Settings -> Turn off "Automatially calculate normals"

3. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Wow! That made an immediate improvement in my entire model! Thanks!

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Additionally, if you want some parts smoothed and some hard edges, and playing around with the smoothing angle in Unity doesn't accomplish what you need, you can select a group of vertices in Blender and hit Y to split them (which is different from hitting P to separate them out entirely; you still have one object). That's what I had to do for this balloon I did a while ago...I selected the vertices in every other "bulge" and split them. It looks the same in Unity as in Blender.

--Eric

Attached Files:

5. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Thanks Eric, Blender really needs a "crease" function, doesn't it? What I wanted to do was the opposite of your example, but thanks for reminding me about that technique. The problem was ultimately in the geometry. I went back and re-created that area of the mesh and the smoothing is a lot better, not perfect, but better.

6. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

What a small evil setting, that kept me ripping my hair off... i even triangulated manually to avoid these shading "issues"...

That one really helped. Thanks!

7. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

What's the thinking behind recalculating being the default behavior? The other way seems more convenient to me.

-Jon

8. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Yeah, the default should be flipped to off for this now. It's just an extra step to remember to turn that off when importing new meshes. The only reason for keeping the default "on" is because maybe a few 3D packages still don't properly export the smoothing data.

9. Marble

Marble

You know, weirdly this fixed a problem I had from one mesh, and caused problems in another, both from Cinema 4D.