Search Unity

Smooth whole terrain

Discussion in 'World Building' started by G_Trex, Jun 29, 2021.

1. G_Trex

G_Trex

I recently upgraded the resolution of my terrain.

This means that the newer terrain still has the sharp edges that the older one did (see image). Using the smooth tool smooths them out easily, but there is a lot of them.

Is there an easier way to smooth them all at once? Even if it's an asset I need to pay for, it would save a load of time for me.

Attached Files:

• ss2.jpg
      ss2.jpg
      File size:
      453 KB
      Views:
  2. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

Hi,
    Changing this kind of data resamples the data to fix the new resolution (up or down) this is equivalent to stretching a 10mpixel image into a 2000mpixel image the rest of those pixels have to be somewhere, but it gives the blocky results.

This is a destructive method so it isn't something that can just changed up and down whenever, you'll notice this if you set it to the lowest resolution and then try to upscale it or make a really high res terrain, then down sample it and once more up sample it, it won't be the same as the original.

Depending on the tools available to you though, you can reprocess your new resolution map without losing or changing the style you've already spent your time on.

You could do this many numbers of way 3rd party unity tools may do this also, but I've not particularly come across one.

But normally you'd plug it through a dedicated tool like Houdini, Gaea, world creator, world machine or if you know the math process, substance designer (blur)

These methods would allow you to re process your terrain at the higher resolution and have better samples in the end (less jaggies)

It's very common to work high resolution to low resolution, not so much the other way around with out AI assists.

Hope that gives you some solutions

3. warthos3399

warthos3399

Basicly... no. Do it manually, and move on...