Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved Smooth UI masks

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Nukode, Aug 25, 2022.

1. Nukode

Nukode

2. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

Nukode likes this.
  3. Nukode

Nukode

Glad to hear that ! That would be an awesome feature whenever it comes out :)

4. adamtarnowski

adamtarnowski

It's things like this that bankrupt small teams, infuriate big ones and push developers to quit unity, I'm working on a UI feature and it so happens that after years of working with unity for the first time I need a soft mask for UI, and I just found out that it doesn't exist. I actually found it funny in a very dark way, it's such an obvious feature. You have DOTS that no one asked for and no one is using, and you only have it for PR reasons, but feature as obvious as a soft mask for UI has not been implemented for more then a decade. It's unbelievable.

Rayeloy, beberosa and Houtamelo like this.
  5. Houtamelo

Houtamelo

2023 and Unity still does not support this basic feature despite the amount of funding it has, laughable at minimum.

6. MaskedMouse

MaskedMouse

They ain't going to develop it for uGUI anymore either. If they are, I'd be surprised.
    But UI Toolkit masking is on the list of TODO. That'll take quite some time as well.
    https://unity.com/roadmap/unity-platform/ui

All you can do is either implement it yourself or wait.
    But the waiting, you'll be waiting years.
    I hope Unity will make an investment on more UI devs to get some more development velocity in there.
    Their team isn't large and they're spread across multiple area's as well.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/any-plans-to-hire-more-devs.1328013/#post-8393547

I've complained multiple times about the development velocity but it doesn't seem Unity is going to do anything about it.
    I really love UI toolkit, but it'll take years before I finally actually use it. Soon™

Pr0x1d and Houtamelo like this.
  7. tetto_green

tetto_green

Unity being Unity part 734...