Search Unity

Smooth terrain

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by andrewc, Dec 17, 2009.

1. andrewc

andrewc

I am importing a raw height map into unity and everything works fine except that the terrain is somewhat jagged. Mountains look like they are made out of steps. Even if I blur the height map I still have this problem. Is there a way to mass smooth a terrain in unity. Using the smooth brush would take forever since it's max radius is very small relative to my terrain.

Thanks

Andrew

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Sounds like you're using an 8-bit heightmap. You should use 16-bit, which has 256 times the vertical resolution and therefore looks way smoother.

--Eric

3. andrewc

andrewc

Thank you Eric, that seemed to do the trick. I'd still be curious to know if you can mass smooth terrain or up the max radius on a brush but it doesn't look like it.

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Well, you could write an editor script to smooth the entire terrain. Or you could run it through Fractscape. <- shameless plug

--Eric

5. steveh2112

steveh2112

this is an old thread but i wonder if there is a newer way? i already have a 16bit heightmap but my mountains look exactly like they are made out of lego (great it i'm making a lego game, but i'm not).

i have the same problem as the OP, the built in smooth tool works fine but the 100 size brush will take me hours to smooth a 15x8km terrain. any better options?

6. teo_f

teo_f

I'd like to know this too for Unity 5. how to smooth a terrain object in a few clicks.

AND to add to that, I compared an 8-bit heightmap with a 16-bit one after importing into Unity. Both had the same rugged terrain. FYI: both were 2048x2048 resolution placed on a same-sized Terrain gameobject.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  7. sstrong

sstrong

We have an Interpolation Smoothing option in Landscape Builder to overcome this problem.

8. exe2k

exe2k

Hi mate, did You find any solution? also have this jagged edges(( Looks like it doesn't depend on a bit or resolution of a texture(