Search Unity

Smooth slider bars

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Toharawk, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Toharawk

Toharawk

Hi there,

I was wondering if there is a way in unity to make the slider bars more smoother while changing the value of it? If so, can it be managed with a c# script or is a animation for the slider required?

Looking forward to replies! ,)
    Toharawk

2. Define "smoother", what's the problem with it? Are we talking about UI?

3. Toharawk

Toharawk

Thanks for the fast reply LurkingNinjaDev!

I am talking about a regular UI Slider. The idea is, to edit the value of the slider more "smooth" as soon as it changes. Current situation:

EXP_Bar (slider) get +10.00f. -> The slider change the value from 0 to 10.00f immediately, within a frame.
    It would be fantastic, if it would be possible to slow down the "add value process", so the Exp_Bar (slider) display the addition within 2-3 seconds, and not immediately - to create a smooth addition effect. I hope i've explained it understandable enough ,)

4. You will need to write a script for that. Basically Lerping between the two values over time. Check out the Lerp function, maybe Coroutine if you want the UI to stay responsive during the smoothing.
    - Basically you will need to create a state of "adjusting" or something and in update while you're adjusting you can change the slider's value towards the target value. If you reach it, you stop the state.
    - Write a coroutine which gets the final value and on every frame you adjust the slider value a little bit then yield.

There is no built-in function to animate the slider this way AFAIK.

Toharawk likes this.