Search Unity

Smooth 2d movement - impossible?

Discussion in '2D' started by Wolk, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Wolk

Wolk

Hello, i'm trying to get a smooth 2d movement, but all attempts so far have failed me.
    I get a feeling of the object jumping and not moving smoothly. The camera is static, rb2d settings are set to interpolate, and physics fixed timestep is set to 0.033, Application.targetFrameRate = 60 and vsync to every blank.
    Here's a video. The only code used is
    GetComponent<Rigidbody2D>().AddForce(transform.up * 15f, ForceMode2D.Impulse);

Here's a video of the movement.

2. Hyblademin

Hyblademin

Can you describe more specifically what isn't smooth? It looks pretty good to me, but I'm not sure if I'm looking for the right thing. I don't see any jumping.

3. Wolk

Wolk

The arrows leave a "trail" behind them, it's really apparent when it's in fast motion, as is on the right. It's skipping places and jumping sporadically and it just doesn't feel/look good. I want to know how to have a smooth fast movement that looks like the object is going fast. Even the one on the left doesn't feel "smooth". Maybe it has something to do with the shape of the arrow

4. SuperCrow2

SuperCrow2

Not seeing it. Looks fine to me. Could be yt quality isn't good enough to pick it up. Can you take screenshots of it and post the images here?

5. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Screenshots can't possibly show the issue, since it relies entirely on motion...screenshots will just show 3 normal-looking arrows.

Anyway, some of the issue is probably that your monitor has a poor response time. For me, the slower arrow is basically fine—very faint ghosting if you look really close—but the faster one has somewhat of the issue you're talking about (I played the video using the 1080p60fps setting). This is partially due to the high contrast and my monitor having OK but not great response time, but also that 60fps just isn't all that great, and this is a good way of showing the limitations. In any case, there's no skipping or jumping at all, so I don't know where that's coming from on your end.

The proper fix would be a decent gaming monitor with a good response time and a 120Hz or 144Hz refresh rate. (Related, don't use targetFrameRate and vsync at the same time; not all monitors are 60Hz.) Failing that, your monitor probably has some kind of overdrive setting that you can try, which reduces trailing at the cost of other artifacts. However, I tried different AMA settings on mine, and it didn't have any noticeable effect for this particular case. Also, yes, a different graphic—less contrast, maybe include a motion blur trail—would help.

--Eric

MisterSkitz likes this.
  6. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

The faster you go, the more pixels you skip each frame... eventually you're going to just see the arrow pop along because it's moving so fast that it jumps more pixels than the arrow is long in a frame. To compensate for that you'd need to add some sort of motion blur, or simply add a trail to the arrow when it's going fast to help smooth over the frame by frame jumps for the eyes

MisterSkitz likes this.
  7. Wolk

Wolk

Has nothing to do with the display rate, without Application.targetFrameRate = 60, it's even more jittery. I'm just wondering why/how this happens to objects that are relatively fast. I wonder if you can have bullets or arrows that look decent in unity at all now

8. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

are you adding the force in Update() or FixedUpdate()?

9. Wolk

Wolk

Honestly it doesn't matter because it's only added once. I've tried movement with force being added in fixed update and it exhibits the same behavior.

10. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

It has a lot to do with it; Antony-Blackett and I explained the issue. It's not Unity.

--Eric

11. Wolk

Wolk

In that case, what would be the best possible option to achieve the smoothest movement?

12. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Try the suggestion above about adding a motion-blur trail to the graphic.

--Eric

13. Wolk

Wolk

I can't, i'm doing this for a mobile game and pp is really expensive.
    Was wondering about settings and/or any other tricks

14. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

No...add a motion-blur trail to the graphic. Literally. No image effects or anything.

--Eric

15. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

What is the final goal? Why do you need fast objects? How many will there be?

16. Wolk

Wolk

The goal is to have an object move fast over some obstacles. In order to have the feeling you're in control, it's a lot nicer if you can actually follow the object with your eyes

17. eriknastesjo

eriknastesjo

Any luck finding solution? Judging from your video (the trail is REALLY apparent on my 4k screen) I got the exact same problem . Starting to suspect that the key is to play around with contrasting colors and speed but if there are any "setting-solution" I would like to know. Also gonna look into how to add motion-blurr...

18. Wolk

Wolk

@eriknastesjo nope, but i have noticed that changing the shape of the object does help a lot. Also having things move slower relative to your screen helps. Wish someone figured it out :)

eriknastesjo likes this.