Search Unity

Smash'm - iOS/Android Casual Physics Puzzler

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by MooseMouse, May 21, 2013.

1. MooseMouse

MooseMouse

For the past few months I have been working on a casual iOS/Android game. It can best be described as a cross between Angry Birds and Amazing Alex. I've finished the first 11 levels and would love some feedback.

The character is a rotten little gremlin who likes to break stuff. Your goal is to help him break vases, ceramic statues, etc., using as few rocks as possible. For replay-ability, there are also more points awarded for hitting the stars and creating the biggest smash possible. There is no tutorial yet, but the controls are similar to Angry Birds in that you pull back and aim a slingshot.

Screenshots:

And here is a webplayer:

WebPlayer

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  2. SuperUrchin

SuperUrchin

The art is stunning! Great job!

3. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

What beautiful looking game.

4. Acumen

Acumen

ha, awesome !
    that comes unexpected :)

the art is supercool and funky. The nitpicker in me is targetted towards the stairs aliased shadows and the lack of some "grounding" shadow on the grey big balls, but thats quite minor stuff :D

Love how you went ahead after the smashdagas story - this means you're gonna go places :)

5. AustinK

AustinK

I like it. I really like the character you've chosen. I had a blast playing all levels, and his laugh is great.

Good job.

6. SuperSlonik

SuperSlonik

This is fantastic! the art is very cute, loved the sounds and the character's laughter in particular!

7. lastprogrammer

lastprogrammer

The graphics were great and I liked the main character. I think this game might go far.

8. Aguy

Aguy

Looks good so far

9. FlaxSycle

FlaxSycle

Wow, super nice presentation! The gremlin looks fantastic!

Level 4 was nice, I like how it hints at opportunities for creative problem solving.

10. Brahim113

Brahim113

I love how the gremlin show emotions. It creates a great feeling to the game. I dont know how it playes on iOS. But the controls wierded out for me sometimes. But in overall the game played was great. Let me know when it is up on appstore.

11. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

I love the cheeky gremlin a LOT! :D

ISSUES:

* It's impossible this end to throw a gentle rock or slow rock. It always has a strong minimum value making it impossible to complete level one as far as I tried. This doesn't make me stupid, it makes your game wrong. Because thats what mobile is like, you'll get blamed. I knocked the pot to the right with the first shot and was unable to get rocks to it after. (Level 1)

Is this some problem with how you're handling deltatime or such, because I am on an i5 mac mini and the controls are pretty much full strength and the catapult very hard to control when trying to make a low strength shot. I could not destroy the vase in level 1 in any of my attempts. *see notes below.

* Controls could be refined when dragging close to catapult - it is glitchy and will get faster and faster as you get closer to drag center.

* If you have a toggle in unity for slow motion (timescale) you can debug the rock with catapult anim - currently the stone is moving before the catapult elastic (they're out of sync)

All minor issues which can be fixed easily. The star of the show and the delight of the game is his entrance. It's perfect!

EDIT:

Managed to destroy vase in level 1 by knocking it towards player. So it destroyed fine if it fell left but not if it fell right. This is the sort of niggle on level one which will destroy your sales on mobile. Try not to have a victory condition so close to a losing condition. Also it's possible on level 2 to jam the jar into the corner so it will never come out causing the same endless attempts thing where nothing is happening.

If you can overcome these issues it will be a great success I think. As it stands it is not ready. Also don't forget to let the player know they can't ever smash it with a direct rock, that it can only be crushed or fall. And make sure falling always smashes it or level 1 will just confuse people.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  12. MooseMouse

MooseMouse

Wow, thanks a ton for the feedback and kind words. It really helps and steps up my enthusiasm!

@Acumen: The aliasing problem seems to go away on the iOS build on my iphone 4. Probably because it is a retina resolution screen so pixels are too small to see. I don't have any other iOS devices right now, but I will add some anti-aliasing to the iPhone 3G build if the performance is okay. The grounding shadow on the large gray balls is an issue I have not found a decent solution for. I am using mesh planes for shadows since the performance of real-time shadows or blob projections is not good on my iPhone 4. I may add better shadows for newer devices.

@hippocoder: Thanks for the detailed feedback! It really helps. One thing that concerns me is that it doesn't sound like the game is working properly on your computer. You should definitely be able to aim right at the vase, hit it, and it will break. I also have an i5 mac mini, but I have not tested the webplayer build with it. I will fire it up today and see if I have the same problem. I will also rework the controls to make them more user friendly. I will use a curve for the sling-force vs. pull back distance instead of a linear relationship.

EDIT: I just checked the webplayer build on my i5 Mac Mini and it worked as intended. This is very frustrating, but I wonder if you just didn't pull back far enough? As you said, this makes the game wrong.. but I'm not sure at this point if it is a webplayer bug or a game control problem.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  13. MooseMouse

MooseMouse

Added a new level. This is still basically a tutorial level that introduces a lever mechanism game element that will be used extensively in later levels. Is it clear how this lever works?

Screenshot:

WebPlayer:
    WebPlayer

14. lastprogrammer

lastprogrammer

I like this game. I think you should attach the game to a storyline. I don't know if you have already thought of this or have plans. You should have it where this gremlin creature goes to a museum and starts smashing things. Then a curator takes notice that some of the objects in the museum are smashed. So the curator lays traps, thinking that the objects were broken by them. Then eventually, as the game gets progressively more difficult with traps and other game mechanics, like what you already have with a teeter totter and springs, you can have the curator show up and try to physically stop the gremlin from breaking any more objects.

I don't know. I think you have a cute character that should be invested into.

15. MooseMouse

MooseMouse

Thanks for the feedback, lastprogrammer :) I actually had a storyline in mind that was similar to your idea. The gremlin was going to sneak into the "Museum of Priceless Stuff". Then I thought I could have future versions of the game in which he would be in other places (China shop, etc.). But I started putting the cart before the horse.. planning a version 1 of a game around a version 2 of a game is kind of silly for a one-man company with no track record. So I stepped back and decided to try to make each level as crazy and fun as I can without regard to a theme. I still want to have a storyline, but I haven't thought up a good one yet. I'll keep brainstorming!

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  16. Kelde

Kelde

awesome, hats off to u sir!

17. FlaxSycle

FlaxSycle

This is a very sensible approach! A bit of character and context will get you most of the way anyway, while an average storyline has a funny way of undermining good gameplay.

If a narrative emerges and lets you tie it all together, all the better, but you should follow your instincts.

18. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Hahahaha, Amazing style, LOOOOVE IT!
    I just got one question though - is the character real 3D or 2D? How did you do the fur?

19. MooseMouse

MooseMouse

Thanks! The character is 3D, but only works from front views. I created the fur by making a few hand-painted transparent planes. I really wanted a fury character, and this was the only way I could figure out to make it work on mobiles. Here are some screenshots, but I am not sure if it shows the planes well enough:

Side View:

Front/Top-ish View:

20. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Thanks for sharing! That fur looks amazing even when its close up!

21. Acumen

Acumen

That's a neat trickery. I love tech insight like that !

Of course it's hard to juge a game's control or difficulty levels on a webplayer build, but I can just say that if the game is trickerish in the first handful of levels already people seem turned off quite easily. The first bunch of levels should be really easy to conquer and then slowly adjusting the difficulty upwards.
    The controls are a bit errative on the webplayer and I fear it might feel the same on a mobile touch device.

I'm not too sure about the harsh black color being in the ui. It ruins the supercolorful and happy tone of the entire game, imo.
    The amount of detail you put in there is awesome, though. the eyes following the movement, the body adjusting when aiming and adjusting strength. The rock traveling out of the room into the hallway. Sooo cool :D

It'd be extremely cool to be part of a betatest on the actual device :)
    Hope you'll make one before releasing it. It's really a completely different thing to gather feedback on the target device than on something with the webplayer.

Again, I'd bow to your amazing efforts on getting this to the current level of polish all on your one ! Wonderful job :)

22. MooseMouse

MooseMouse

I agree. I'll take another pass at the GUI.

Sounds great! I've never made an iOS build for anything other than my local phone, so this would be a great way to figure that out, too. In my previous game a publisher wanted me to send him an iOS build and gave me some phone id's. I didn't have an iOS build of that game, but I would like to learn how to do this so I can competently send builds to publishers when the time comes. I'll let ya know when I am ready and see if you still have time/interest :)

Thanks,
    Shawn

23. MooseMouse

MooseMouse

And then there were 6...

I've just finished the 6th level and uploaded a new webplayer.

Screenshot:

Webplayer

24. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Thats cool, fun to play, cute, really awesome. Difficulty definitely needs to be tweaked (i.e. made a bunch easier), you want people to be 5-10 levels in before they are challenged or they will just stop. Maybe just pop up instructions on where to hit if they don't get it after a few tries. Controls are definitely very touchy on web player, but it was only a minor concern.

Well done.

25. MooseMouse

MooseMouse

Thanks for the feedback. I agree.. the levels get too difficult too quickly. I will add some easier levels and move the harder ones to later in the game.

The controls are not as good on the web player as on the touch screen. And they are terrible if using a laptop fingerpad. On the touch screen the controls are very similar to Angry Bird's slingshot controls. But I probably still need to tweak them a bit.

Thanks!
    Shawn

26. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

ahhh I was wondering how you did this character. Looking at if from the side shows. Thanks for sharing and posting the pics. Amazing fur you achieved.
    This Gremlin is really well done! :)

I think the character even has good animations. You did a really good job giving him expressions and really making him come to life.

27. MLow

MLow

Potential cheat. Click drag like crazy.

28. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

Congratulations! This looks FANTASTIC!!

Put all the time you can get to polish it a bit more (you already know what you need) and you have a golden pot in your hands!

29. MooseMouse

MooseMouse

I added a new level 3 over the weekend. Trying to make sure the early levels are not too hard, so I am adding some additional easy levels to the beginning.

Screenshot for new Level 3:

Thanks for the kind feedback, snowconesolid, MLow, and imteractive :)

@MLow: That is pretty funky looking. I will add a short timer so that players have to wait a moment to shoot again. But I dont' think it is actually a cheat because all of the rocks are being counted. More rocks = lower score (like in golf).

Webplayer

Thanks!
    Shawn

30. Lioncirth

Lioncirth

This looks really good!

I love the character and the concept is brill!!

My son will love to play this when its released :)

31. MooseMouse

MooseMouse

Thanks Lioncirth :)

Just added a new level 5. This is another easier level so that players do not get frustrated early on.

Screenshot:

Webplayer

32. Gnimmel

Gnimmel

I love the main character, he's done really well. If you can iron out the small problems others have mentioned, I think this will do well.

I did run into a similar problem hippocoder mentioned on level 2. I was able to hit the target, (not hard enough to break it), and it slowly fell over but then rolled back into the screen Z direction without falling off the shelf. This meant the rock would never hit it and just flew through it without and collisions because the rock was always in front of it after the roll.

33. MooseMouse

MooseMouse

Thanks for the feedback Gnimmel. I thiink I've fixed the problem you and hippocoder had in this new version.

I've added a new level 6 to the game. This is another easier level, but I am testing a new idea with the smash targets. Rather than a breakable target, this level has a bag of burritos that explodes. The sound effects are an important part of this one. Please let me know what you think. Not sure if the burritos look right. I spent way to much time on this one.

Screenshot:

Webplayer

34. RegisB

RegisB

Omg this game is awesome !!!!!
    The variation of each levels and the special effects added on each level are excellent !
    This is epic, way better than angry birds, in fact.
    The character animation an sounds are lovely !

I just think that the scoring system look "complicated". And too many buttons on the menu...

On the last level ( with the burrito ), the sound sounds like S***..

35. MooseMouse

MooseMouse

Thanks RBV! I agree, the scoring system is too complicated. I will do another pass on it.

Yep, it sounds like a fart. I thought that was a funny sound effect.. or is it just crude?

36. CarlosFM

CarlosFM

What a beautiful little game! Very refreshing artwork, congrats.

Silly question: does it matter how far you pull the character before shooting? I.e. is there different levels of strength while shooting?

I cannot wait to try it on my iPhone.

37. Livvy

Livvy

My 4 year old loved that!!!

She demands more levels and wants daddy to buy the whole game for her haha

Your on to a winner there!!

Congrats

38. MooseMouse

MooseMouse

2 new levels:

This is an example of a fairly challenging level:

Now I have 11 levels and I am considering polishing a few things and submitting it to publishers.

The levels are taking me WAY longer to build than I had anticipated.. about a week+ per level. I definitely need more than 11 levels for a finished game, but I would like to see if I can get a publisher interested and then hire some freelancers to help me. I will polish the GUI, make a logo and splash screen, and improve the controls a bit. I will also build an iOS version and have that ready for publishers.

What do you all think? Is it too soon to contact publishers? I really can't spend another 6 months on this game without having some sort of backing.

Webplayer

Thanks!
    Shawn

39. MooseMouse

MooseMouse

Apparently the newest level, level 11, is more difficult than I thought.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  40. Caliber-Mengsk

Caliber-Mengsk

I have to say, the last level tricked me up a bit.

Overall, pretty good though.

unityunity