Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Smartsprites in Production?

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by M0rph3v5, Jun 7, 2016.

1. M0rph3v5

M0rph3v5

Spoke to several people during after trying out several things they ended up pointing me over here.

We started development on Intergalactic Road Warriors (http://intergalacticroadwarriors.com) back in november and started using the 2D Tools Preview Alpha 4, where the smartsprites were originally planned to release in march which was the month we wanted to launch our early access version. To be clear: we only use the smartsprites for the racetracks as you can see here:

Then they got pushed back to june and eventually into 'in development'. We did have to release the game on early access with an alpha version of unity because financial reasons and there was no way to easily replace it with another asset.

Talked to @peteorstrike at Unite Europe and they told me a new preview version was out finally! But... no smartsprites..., I just read that they probably won't come back until at least 3-4 months in a new preview release.
    So we're currently kind of in limbo, we want to move to consoles as well but the 2d preview alpha 4 of course does not exist for xbox one etc.

@RichardFine and @Lucas Meijer suggested to see if I could look up the smartsprite source and copy paste from there to be able to move to a new unity version. Unfortunately it has been written in c++ so all the classes start pointing to InternalWrapperCalls or something like that.

Another suggestion was to use the old editor just for managing the smartsprites and try to bake/save the mesh that comes from it for use in a newer version. Again, unfortunately there's no access at all to the generated mesh.

Is it possible to get access to that old source? It seems a little to complicated and time consuming to just write it again myself. Any ideas?

2. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

3. M0rph3v5

M0rph3v5

@Lars Steenhoff It didn't have control points though last time I checked?

4. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I think so, I can control the points on the edges

This game also used ferr2d

5. Rilem

Rilem

No it doesn't, in ferr2d you can switch between a smooth and hard edge mode, that's about it. You can keep adding points for more detail, but it's not as flexible as the bezier curves the unity 2d tools beta has. Also because you have to set up materials for ferr2d it can be a pain to work with, compared to the ease of the smart sprite beta.

6. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

"You can keep adding points for more detail,"
    Yes thats what I ment when i said I think so, I want not sure if you ment bezier control points.

7. Johaness_Reuben

Johaness_Reuben

@M0rph3v5
    Hi sorry for the delayed response but been trying to find a solution, but unfortunately could not find one. Smart Sprite went through a massive amount of changes since the last public preview and also has parts that are tied to other areas in the engine, which are also going through some changes.

8. M0rph3v5

M0rph3v5

Thanks for trying, so I'm guessing we should switch to another system totally or write our own since smartsprites won't show up at least for the coming 8 months~?