Search Unity

Smart Ui Selection - Unity Editor Extension

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by _geo__, Jul 9, 2019.

1. _geo__

_geo__

Smart UI Selection
    Asset Store | Documentation | Support

This asset improves the selection by ignoring empty ui elements and allows for click-through selection of 3D objects behind the canvas. It fixes the (sometimes) unexpected order of ui selections done by the editor (what you see is what you select).

It also addresses the issue that the screen space overlay canvases are quite often in the way of selecting anything in the 3D scene. It does so by disabling those canvases if you get very close to them. This feature is disabled by default. You can easily turn it on in the settings (Tools -> Smart Ui Selection -> Turn Auto Hide On).

It will not add any runtime scripts or objects to your scene/project (editor only). Files are located in Plugins/../Editor/.. .

DEMO VIDEO

FEATURES

1. What you see is what you select.
    Ignore empty ui elements and enjoy a predictable selection order. UI elements in front will always be selected first.

2. Select 3D objects behind any canvas.
    Click-through empty canvas areas. No need to whirl the camera around or disable the canvas just so you can select that one 3D object in the back.

3. Auto hide canvases at close range.
    Useful if you often switch between ScreenSpace canvases and the 3D scene. This feature is disabled by default. You can enable it in the settings.

4. Full source code included

5. Compatible with Unity 5.3.6f1+, 2017.x, 2018.x, 2019.x
    It may work with earlier versions too but I haven't tested it. I guess not too many people are still using 5.x.

6. Please notice that this is an EDITOR ONLY plugin.
    It enhances the ui selection functionality in the SceneView of the Unity Editor.

Usage
    A new menu called "Smart Ui Selection" will be available under "Tools" in the main menu bar. Go check it out once the import is done.

Links
    Asset Store | Documentation | Support

Let me know what you think or post questions below if you have any, thanks.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    Circool likes this.