Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We've updated our Terms of Service. Please read our blog post from Unity CTO and Co-Founder Joachim Ante here
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

SMART SHADOWS - get the best of dynamic shadows

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by WildMage, Nov 8, 2017.

1. WildMage

WildMage

Smart Shadows 1.0.0
    for Unity 5.5 to 2017.2

Asset store - Documentation - Support

Smart Shadows
    is a dynamic shadow manager that automatically and smoothly enables and disables dynamic shadows when you move on the scene, depending on the desired maximum simultaneous shadows, the maximum shadow activation distance, and the pertinence of the shadows, improving a lot rendering performances.

The algorithm chooses which shadows to enable based on a light priority algorithm, which offers a lot of customization to match your scene constraints. This allows to have a lot of dynamic shadows in the scene by automatically enabling only pertinent shadows and disabling others.

With this tool, you will get the best of dynamic shadows, without the performance issues.

Features

• With the Maximum Simultaneous Shadows, lights are sorted by pertinence depending on the player position and the custom light settings, and only the highest priority shadows are activated.
    • Maximum Light Influence Distance to activate only the shadows within a given range.
    • Smooth Fade In and Out Transitions, hardly noticeable by the player, even more when focused on playing.
    • Set the Light Shadow Importance, and custom Settings, to better control which lights are activated and what happens when their shadow is disabled, to better match your scene constraints.
    • Use the Range and Intensity Reduction to reduce the light illumination when its shadow is disabled, to reduce inconsistent scene lighting.
    • Enable the Shadow Resolution Reduction to reduce automatically the resolution of the lowest priority shadows, to improve the computational time.
    • Use the Quality Level Settings to adapt the shadow constraints to the device performances.
    • Included Animation Scripts for fire, flickering and periodic lights.

Wild Mage Games Quality

• Clean source code included.
    • Detailed documentation.
    • Reactive and efficient customer support.

Upcoming Features

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have a feature request.

Videos

Images

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  2. WildMage

WildMage

Smart Shadows is on sale until December 8th: 30% OFF
    If you use dynamic shadows and want to boost your game performances, do not miss this opportunity!

3. ScoobyNooby

ScoobyNooby

interesting. but I don't see any stats.
    So how does this work. raycast detection?

4. WildMage

WildMage

You are right, I should do some benchmarks to give an idea of performances improvements.
    The difficulty for such benchmarks is that each game has very different results, depending on geometry compexity, draw calls, shadow distances, light ranges, platform hardware, etc.
    My demo scene has really coarse geometry so each shadowmap computation is not that costly, but the performances are already way better.
    I will at least measure correctly the performances changes on the demo scene and think about a more "representative" demo for benchmark.

It does not do any raycast. You can have an idea of the algorithm on section 3.1 https://www.wildmagegames.com/data/SmartShadows.pdf

Note that I am open to feature suggestions :)

5. WildMage

WildMage

Here are some very rought stats, recorded while walking on the demo scene in a similar way than in the video.
    This is just illustrative, like I said more serious stats should be done.

Quality settings : fantastic
    Hardware: AMD FX-8350 + ATI Radeon RX 480 Graphics
    Total lights: 68

Smart Shadows disabled:

Smart Shadows enabled - maximum of 12 lights (what you can see on the video) :

6. pilamin

pilamin

Will definitely pick this up soon, after a paycheck. This looks like exactly what I need. I'm surprised there haven't been other shadow culling solutions.

WildMage likes this.
  7. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Thanks for making this!

8. WildMage

WildMage

Thanks, I am glad you like it :)
    Do not hesitate to rate or comment on the asset store, it really helps.
    Also, if you have requests or suggestions, do not hesitate.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.