Search Unity

Smart Library - Enhanced Asset Organization

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MechaWolf99, Nov 15, 2021.

1. gewl

gewl

Not exactly, unfortunately. Definitely a version prior to 2.0—1.3, I think?

2. MechaWolf99

MechaWolf99

Ah, okay I did rewrite the preview generation in 2.0 as they were not working properly in some projects.
    So rereading what you said, the non-uniform previews are because some where generated in 2.0 and others in 1.3, you can go to preferences for Smart Library and click the "Force Regenerate All Previews" button to get them consistent.

The black background is because your HDRP render pipleline asset needs to have "Color Buffer Format" set to "R16B16G16A16". You don't have to change it of course as it should work fine as is. But if you do decide to change it, you can always change it back before building your project. Also, if you do change, you will need to force regenerate all previews.

If you could switch at least temporarily and take a screenshot of what the previews look like, that would help with troubleshooting.

3. gewl

gewl

Thanks for this. Regenerating all previews with color format on R11G11B10 didn't work, but switching it to R16B16G16A16 did. Switching back to R11G11B10 seems to preserve the fixed ones, too, even if I regenerate previews. Strange!

4. MechaWolf99

MechaWolf99

That good, so is the lighting still too dark or is it good now?
    It shouldn't preserve them if you force regenerate again... I bet Unity is initializes some thing somewhere when it renders with R16B16G16A16. This is why the pipelines are hard to support...

5. gewl

gewl

It's good now, thank you!

6. MechaWolf99

MechaWolf99

Glad to hear it! If you run in to any other problems don't hesitate to ask!
    And if you have been liking Smart Library, I would love if you would consider leaving a review on the store! It really does help quite a bit. :)

7. GoldFireStudios

GoldFireStudios

I'm having issues getting this to work in large scenes. In small or empty scenes, I can drag the prefabs from the collection into the scene no problem. However, if I'm in my main scene, I have to click and hold for several seconds or it just won't work. This pretty much renders the tool unusable since the point is speeding up the workflow. Is there anyway around this?

8. MechaWolf99

MechaWolf99

Hello, that is an odd bug and definitely should not be happening. Could you open the Unity Profiler window, switch it to profile the editor, and then start recording as you try to drag. Then send me the results?

9. MechaWolf99

MechaWolf99

2.2.1 is now out!
    Mostly just a few bug fixes (including GoldFireStudios' issue), but should make it nicer to use.
    • Fixed undo resetting the scroll position in the assets panel of the Smart Library window.
    • Fixed dragging assets from the Smart Library window starting inconsistently in large projects.
    • Fixed collections panel width resetting when the Smart Library window is not visible and the domain is reloaded twice.

You can get it here!

10. Reign_of_Light

Reign_of_Light

Hi,

I've got a wish / suggestions: Could you maybe add support for the "Asset Icons" package ( https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/asseticons-100547 )? I for one specifically bought both assets ("Asset Icons" and "Smart Library") to better organize scriptable objects. However, apparently Smart Library shows the default icon instead of the ones I want to display.

Here's an example: On the left is Unity's project window with scriptable objects that have been given custom icons. On the right, there is SmartLibrary displaying the exact same scriptable objects but with default icons, unfortunately.

I think it would be really easy for you to do because the custom icons are specified by a public field of type Sprite called "Icon" on the scriptable object. So you could just have Smart Library look if there is such a public Sprite-field of that name and if there is than use that. Heck, I would implement that myself if the source wasn't closed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2022
  11. MechaWolf99

MechaWolf99

Hello, yeah that seems like it is a great idea! Smart Library should be showing the same icons that are shown in the project browser. My guess is that Asset Icons is doing something tricky. I will reach out to the Asset Icons' developer and see if we can't figure out how to add support!

And thanks for the purchase, I hope it works well for you!

Reign_of_Light likes this.
  12. Reign_of_Light

Reign_of_Light

Thank you :) ! I think both plugins would combine really well to not only keep graphical assets handy and tidy but also data assets.

13. waishan

waishan

I finish it on a hacky way. You can have a try.
    (The instructions is in the LibraryItemsViewUtility.cs)

Attached Files:

Reign_of_Light likes this.
  14. Reign_of_Light

Reign_of_Light

Amazing!! It works! Thanks so much! :)

Hacky is fine with me. It might be a rather niche feature, after all. But I'm very happy about this little update and will leave a 5 star review at once.

15. MechaWolf99

MechaWolf99

Thanks for creating this for them! :D

Glad you guys got it working, I will still see if I can get around to doing it nicer. Just a bit busy at the moment.

To be clear, @waishan is not associated with Smart Library, just a nicer user. Though I won't complain if you want to leave a review.

16. Reign_of_Light

Reign_of_Light

Ohhh ... damn, I missed that, yesterday, and wrote a glowing review praising the developer :D ..

Wow, why did you do that @waishan ?! Did you have the same need, or did you just take it on as a challenge, for fun?

17. AlienMe

AlienMe

Hi @MechaWolf99 , this is a great asset...However, I can't get the Smart Collections to work. I created one with a name filter, and it works, but if you refresh it, it goes back to empty, not showing any assets.
    I created another Smart Collection, which filters by Type for GameObject, and it never works. Sometimes, if I open a prefab, and the prefab 'qualifies' for the Smart Collection, then it shows, but if refreshed, the collection goes back to empty.

I am running Unity 2022.1.24. I tried going to Window > Search > Index Manager > Rebuild, and this doesn't fix the Smart Collections showing empty.

Any ideas about what I am missing?

Thanks!

18. MechaWolf99

MechaWolf99

Hi, thanks for getting Smart Library! That issue happens when Unity has not indexed the assets. You can go to "Window/Search/Index Manager". And click on the "Build" button on the bottom right of the window to tell Unity to rebuild the search index. Let me know if this doesn't work or you run in to any other issues! :)

Edit: On and just as an explanation of what you are seeing. When you click the Update button on a Smart Collection. It clears all of the assets currently in the collection, and uses Unity's Search API to find assets (like how you do "t:Material" in the project browser search). But when an asset updates/changes, the Smart Collection just checks that specific asset valid. (Like
    if (changedAsset is Material)
    ). So the individual check works, but if Unity hasn't built search index (or it isn't up to date), it can't find the asset when doing the big search when clicking "Update".

Last edited: May 3, 2023
  19. bvonline

bvonline

In 2020.3.43f1, some files are just black. Added a screenshot. When loading the project, the files can be seen. shortly, then they are disappearing. Same not only with music files - for example I can not see URP particles Unlit Shader.

I already tried some other fixes like search index build, but currently I don't see any solution. Any ideas how to solve this? Normal materials, prefabs and such seem to work.

Attached Files:

20. MechaWolf99

MechaWolf99

Hello, sorry to year you are having this issue. What pipeline are you using, and what version of SmartLibrary?

21. bvonline

bvonline

URP 10.10.1, and Smart Library version 2.2.2, latest Quicksearch (3.0.0-preview.26)

22. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Nice to see Smart Collections work in 2022 Thanks !

MechaWolf99 likes this.
  23. Poupi

Poupi

Hey,
    I'm having some issues with the preview in Unity 2023.2.2f1 HDRP, every asset preview is white (the preview looks fine in Unity's inspector). Is there a way to alter how the preview are rendered ?
    Thanks !

24. MechaWolf99

MechaWolf99

Hello, sorry to hear you are having issues. 2023 isn't officially supported yet by Smart Library. Though that bug has randomly appeared on multiple version with no way to reproduce it.

But if you go to the Unity Preferences window, there is a Smart Library category with a "Use Unity Asset Previews" toggle, which will have the Smart Library window use the same previews that are used by Unity in the Project window, instead of the custom ones.