Search Unity

Small WIPs that do not need their own thread (2012)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by cupsster, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. janpec

janpec

Looks very good marcos as always. Is skin all painted or did you just used matcap?

2. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

Just finished this Medieval house(aprox 600 polys).

For this model I tried using a small(256x256) texture.It was more of a learning experience,it's the first time I'm doing "tiling" on a single texture.
    Pros:
    -1 texture(yay for Draw Calls)
    -You can get away with a very small texture(in this case 256x256),or even smaller or better.
    -I think there are more...but I can only think of cons :confused:

Cons:
    -In order to get tiling on a single texture,I had to make additional cuts to the model,which boosts the polycount.
    -There's a lot of work in manually unwrapping the model!
    -Too many overlapping UVs(I don't know if this is a problem)...I generally hate too much overlapping :D

Don't mind the stretching on some parts...I forgot to save(my modelling program crashed),and I lost two hours of work,so I had to re-do the UVs the dirty way :mad:

If anybody knows a better way to do tiling on a single texture and give me some tips&tricks,I would greatly appreciate it :D

--Robert

3. Duskling

Duskling

Nice man :)

4. Taigo

Taigo

5. janpec

janpec

Angry war elephant. Armored version coming soon.

6. Farfarer

Farfarer

Thunderent: You'll find tiling far easier if you stack the tiles vertically into a 128x512 texture.

That way you only have to add new loops to deal with tiling it vertically.

7. marcos

marcos

Cheers!

It was that SkinShade material with Wax Preview and a bit of Polypainting. Afterwards I painted in the eyes and lip gloss to visualise the character.

8. c-Row

c-Row

Looks elephantastic. :)

9. sivan

sivan

I'm just playing with Unity again, and made today morning a little script for placing tree shadow images onto terrain in Unity Indie.
    Maybe someone else had done it earlier, but I have not found any similar solution... Not perfect, I will add different shadows to different trees if I find how to do it :)

10. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

@janpec wow that looks great!

11. Blacklight

Blacklight

That elephant is beast!

Hehe, see what I did there? You know... beast? As in... ...yeah. I'll be quiet now.

12. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I love the look of the eyes, you should do a whole character in that style.

13. marcos

marcos

The project I do after my puzzle game will probably have a female lead (that isn't a turtle), so maybe I will!

Did a 30ish minute speedy this evening:

@janpec: Keen to see the armoured version!

14. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Very nice, in 30mins i hardly get past having a cube :p

15. Florian Schmoldt

Florian Schmoldt

here's a very silly funny-bunny-bot

(not in Unity)

16. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

still trying to get this so it can be used in realtime, this is kind of a hack but I think it's a good compromise for now. I only refresh the entire mesh when the mouse button is lifted, hopefully this can be moved to the background entirely instead of updating the mesh each frame, but you can see the surface propagate.

17. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Wow that looks good! Hopefully I can achieve something like that for my dynamic terrain. Are you using a 3D array?

18. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

I'm using a few 3d arrays, one for the grid cells themselves and then another for the scalar values at each point.

19. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

texture looks awesome

20. Blacklight

Blacklight

How do you make your textures?

21. hellraizerhhh

hellraizerhhh

I would make sure the wall material tiles well first. Right now the walls material where the windows and beams are has really bad seam lines. Also, due to the detail added in the texture the repetition gets more and more obvious the more its tiled.

22. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

The textures tile well,the problem is that the UVs are placed well on the texture sheet(not on the edge of the texture parts).I made this house mainly to learn how to tile on a single texture,it wasn't made for artistic purposes,that's why I didn't spend much time on choosing the right textures,tiling them properly,and worrying about repetition.

I'll make more houses like this in the future,and I'll take your suggestions in account.

Hey,thanks for feedback!

23. Finjitzu

Finjitzu

24. janpec

janpec

Hey i used Mudbox for texturing. First i baked all maps needed (normal, AO, cavity), then i put normal into Crazybump and turn it into another cavity and diffuse map, with highlighting 3d edges this brightens areas arround deep cuts (which in reality doesnt make much sense, but it looks nice). Then i painted 1 layer of using only 1 color and darken / dodge brush to lightend and darken areas on model. After that all extracted maps except normal map were overlayed in different layering methods on top of that first color layer. Additionaly then i used one "dirt" texture and painted it across model which gives dirty skin marking and variation of darken / brigter areas. In the end eye and tusk were painted. This time i didnt use photo reference at all, becouse normal map just didnt fit to photosource and it would not look good. I was thinking first of painting it with texels in Mudbox while still working with sculpt, to get photosource details but my computer just doesnt handle texel painting with decent performance. On other hand i was little dissapointed that very low specular map hiden almost all normal map details, but with very bright specular just doesnt look good.

25. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

This is my color animation editor that I've been working on this week. It allows me to set up color-cycling animations (Amiga-style) which get encoded into a special texture format, imported to Unity and played realtime via a special shader.

The sections of the image from top to bottom are: Image editing (where you draw animations), Layer editing (where you add and manipulate multiple layers of generators, modifiers, adjusters etc which combine together to produce an animation sequence), Palette adjustment (where you choose/modify colors etc), full colormap overview and animation range selection (for choosing where in the texture the animation is stored, how long, etc), and then some basic buttons will be at the bottom. Each section is scrollable.

After 5 days of coding (part-time in BlitzMax) it's coming together. :) I hope to have it done within a week and then will start using it to create cool animated graphics for my slot-machine game (the game will be made in Unity of course). The editor/color-cycling is the only bit of custom tech that I'm allowing myself for the project, all the rest will be fairly simple in-Unity-Editor stuff with not much coding.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  26. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Damn cool!

I've been trying my hand at graphics design (again) to save on art costs. A level complete screen for a puzzle game:

PS Why can't I upload images ...

EDIT: Or link to external site ... http://postimage.org/image/7foaig6yv

27. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

Inspired by you i started my own medieval modular building set with one texture atlas with interior.

Still need stairs, the roof, door etc.

28. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Wow that looks good! Add a bit more contrast between the beams and wall, and it will be perfect ;)

29. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

Better?

30. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Perfect! :D

31. Testmobile

Testmobile

Right now the polycount sits at 7640 tris with everything, it shouldnt go much over than that.

32. Leiter Jakab

Leiter Jakab

I absolutely love the sound in the video.

Also I made a little demo of my top down steath game. There's no stealth gameplay in it so far, it's more like a test to get the feel of the camrea angle and the environment. It is also a test for my steering system, SimpleSteer.

http://onetinyleap.wordpress.com/demos/

33. gioworks

gioworks

Two new WIP small projects

Recreating of Lander and Ninjump Game

Random Lander WIP

FatJumper WIP

Fat Jump is my new wip game. Game will be similiar to popular game NinJump. Simple and addictive gameplay with competitive highscores.
    Im trying to recreate this game (NinJump)

DEMO

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  34. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I couldn't get images to upload either, I had to embed one from photobucket.com

35. nickavv

nickavv

Working on hot and cold space-clouds

36. janpec

janpec

37. hellraizerhhh

hellraizerhhh

Game Im working on. Its a turn based online arena fighting game.

38. Leiter Jakab

Leiter Jakab

@janpec: Your texturing work is amazing.

I missed this one. I love it! Can you post a Unity screenshot too?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  39. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Imo this is hauntingly beautiful, I love the AO on it. Definatly one of my favorite pieces ive seen in a while

40. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Un-used business proposal

41. nickavv

nickavv

42. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

Little update

$med update.jpg

43. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Man I don't know what you do with your textures, but they look awesome. This one and the elephant as well, beautiful shading!! Really great stuff.

44. galent

galent

Hey all,
    Here's a little something I've been toying with, it's not much at the moment, but what do you think?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12797862/WebPlayer/WebPlayer.html

I've been playing with procedurally generated terrain (ok, so it's pretty simplistic, but procedural none the less :) ), all the rocks and enemy towers are populated by random algorithm. pick up weapons by flying through the glowing green boxes (careful, that's not ammo, it changes your current weapon).

Cheers

45. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Pretty good, I like it.

46. TehWut

TehWut

The camera has a tendency to lose it's S*** when pressing up on the keyboard for a while ;) other than that it was pretty cool

47. Sargon_of_Akkad

Sargon_of_Akkad

I've just implemented a cash shop. Players earn gold in each mission, and get to spend it in the shop afterwards - their inventory is all stored on our website and retrieved when the player connects to the game.

Here's a guy with the low-level training staff and a ring, but these could be whatever the player has purchased.

48. galent

galent

Yes, there's a bad jitter if you keep trying to fly up, that's a current hack to account for the flight ceiling (otherwise you'd be flying out of my nice terrain... and I can't have that :) ).

Cheers!

49. Duskling

Duskling

50. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

You should try Mudbox. It is awesome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.