Search Unity

Small WIPs that do not need their own thread (2012)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by cupsster, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

My work pales in comparison to so much great artwork on this thread...

Forging ahead with my space flight sim hobby.

Space Station:

Complete with TEMP textures!

Speaking of temp textures... I am also looking for (Blender) unwrapping and texturing advice if anyone would care to comment: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/119833

2. NomadKing

NomadKing

Is that... a fully operational battle station?

3. Micah_Rogers

Micah_Rogers

@brn: that light source is a bit bright for stone.

And I I forgot to post pictures of the tuts end result (mind the repetitivenes as it was done to save time) which is now down to 65 mins and split into 7 parts.

And it tiled:

Hopefully all will be uploaded soon.

This isn't how I would go about painting wooden planks, but if I did the tutorial would be over 2 hours and thats to much time :L

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  4. KelsoMRK

KelsoMRK

Awesome - except the table leg on the right is passing through the chair seat.

5. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

:)

6. defjr

defjr

Awesome! I never noticed that. Thanks for pointing it out. ;)

7. EISOBAX

EISOBAX

Working on a little arabic scene, these models arent for any project. all objects are very low poly'd and the texture has a bit of a cartoonish feel to them, though there still wip. textures and modeling done by me in 3ds max,and gimp.

EDIT: the brown color on the left side on the house is not suppos to be brown, dont know why it renders like that in the engine.

Edit again lol, found the solution, it whas my own fault :p

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  8. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Heh! No, it's small outpost with three scout fighters... and no active weapons!

9. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Secret new project. Awesome progress for an hour. Btw these are my first textures I've made. There is also a few scripts within the game.

10. wrm186

wrm186

Hey, that looks pretty amazing in my opinion :)

Keep up the good work!

EDIT: hmmmm pictures aren't showing up... :p

11. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

It's certainly no moon...

12. brn

brn

Yep, defiantly too bright. In fact all the tones are a bit out of range. Some of the stones are even lit from the wrong direction. I'll fix these things tonight.

Nice planks. I especially like them close up.

13. marcos

marcos

Sick! Love this

14. IcyPeak

IcyPeak

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  15. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

We've unfortunately had to shelve the hand drawn approach of 2.5d characters due to excessive development time it generated. Instead we're going for low poly 3D models which look similar.

3D is often a faster art path than 2D, obviously depending on factors like how many frames of animation you may need and so forth.

16. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

That's a shame :( i'm sure it will still look spectacular though :D

17. Doddler

Doddler

Random terrain is coming along. There's now 100% more rivers!

This is more of a question though, what do you think the best technique to blend between different textures is? The different regions have pretty hard blocky edges as it is now. The problem is that sometimes there's edges between three different terrain types, and since each zone blends 2 x 3 textures (diffuse/normal/spec), so I can't really get away with blending on the gpu.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  18. brn

brn

It is a shame as titany has said. I totaly get where you are coming from on dev time to. Im sure it will still look amazing.

19. NomadKing

NomadKing

An unfortunate thing, but fully understandable. And as long as you devote most of the poly budget to chest hair, it should still look great :)

20. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

thanks very much :)

21. stefmen

stefmen

Almost done with my desert models... what you guys think ?

Attached Files:

22. cod

cod

Awesome! is it free?

23. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Lol. Don't count on it.

24. Yanneyanen

Yanneyanen

Started a new game project a couple of weeks ago, here are a couple of early screenshots:

And the main character-to-be:

Everything is still work in progress, comments and critiques welcome :)

25. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

First few images remind me of FFX on PS2.

26. Micah_Rogers

Micah_Rogers

Yanneyanen: very cool stuff! Stone floor tile is a bit repetitive, plants have some alpha problems, I think (unless thats how its sapose to look like) and I don't know if it's the angle of the character but the eyes on the plank looks to high in comparison with the head.

All easy fix's so props to you! keep em comming.

27. brn

brn

Very nice atmosphere.

28. Yanneyanen

Yanneyanen

Runeflako: FFX is my favorite Final Fantasy game, so there might be something there..
    Micah: Thanks. Tiles usually are repetitive :) But I know what you mean. Maybe some color variation between the bricks could work.. If you mean the holes in plants, that's quite intentional, if it something else, then.. I'm not sure what you mean (about the alpha problems).

I got a similar comment about the eyes in the mask on my blog, so here's my answer straight from there:
    If we're being realistic, the mask should just fall to the ground, since there's nothing to attach the mask to his head either.
    The masks in the game aren't really meant to be the kind you actually wear and see through the eye "holes", though. They're magical items (it's a fantasy game after all), which define your "social rank". They can also be used to intimidate foes, though this particular mask isn't that scary.. So the mask is kind of hovering in the air before his head, and the wearer sees through the whole thing, like it wasn't even there. No-one else, including us, can see the wearer's face though.

My original idea was similar to Crash Bandicoot's Aku Aku mask
    http://i41.tinypic.com/5b8d2w.jpg
    http://i40.tinypic.com/2mhie14.jpg

Also, I actually tried lowering the eyes, and the whole mask too, but it just made him look sad, and kind of smaller than he already is.

brn: Thanks, I still have some work to do on the lighting, but it's coming together pretty nicely in my opinion :)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  29. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

It's my favorite too!!!! Can't wait to see more.

30. Micah_Rogers

Micah_Rogers

Yanneyanen : I know what you mean about the tiles, ya try some color vatiation should help break the repetitivnes.

Yes I was talking about the holes in the plants, I think you should go in and make the edges where the holse are abit brighter (or darker). I think that will make it clear that it's what your trying to do.

31. NomadKing

NomadKing

Colour variation would be a good start, but you could also try varying the size of the blocks used in the Floor pattern, and making it so some of them wrap over the edge to make the tiling less obvious. It will still be a tile, there's no way to change that, but once you have detail, lighting, gameplay etc. in your scenes people are less likely to pick it out :)

Here's an old (read very old) example from a long abandoned hack and slash game. Excuse the texture size:

Attached Files:

32. stefmen

stefmen

Just finished my desert vegetation pack. as you guys suggested this pack isn't going to be free it will cost $20 for the first buyers. I hope you guys like it i would like some feedback :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  33. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

A tree I'm working on

Anyone knows how to reduce those drawcalls?

34. janpec

janpec

Dogzerx very likeable tree. Its wierd that you have that many drawcalls, did you model it by hand or is it made with Tree creator? I am guessing its modeled by hand since there are two different bark textures?

35. brn

brn

Now thats a great looking tree!

Have combined your textures to a single or two texture pages?
    If you can set your tree up to use only two materials, even preferably one and make sure your mesh is combined as much as possible it should help. Generally for a tree like that 2 draw calls or less depending on lighting is what I would be aiming for. Depending on your target platform you may decide that the trunk is better off not being alpha masked.

36. nipoco

nipoco

Something I recently working on. I planning to sell these assets including the scene in the Assets Store.

$Wild Scenery1.png

$Wild Scenery2.png

37. ivanzu

ivanzu

Looks awesome!

38. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

@janpec: Thanks!! I hand modeled it! I used the vertex lit particle material, and drawcalls are now 2! I'll use that for now!

@brn: Hmm it's a texture for the trunk, and a texture for the branches :-/
    I'm still not 100% on what's the best way to make a tree :-0
    I want to learn a little about shaders :p

Are you using special shaders for the leaves? They look beautiful!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  39. NomadKing

NomadKing

Looks really good. The mossy trunk is fantastic :)

Does the model contain lots of submeshes (particularly uniquely named ones)? That could be where your drawcall bloat is coming from.

40. NomadKing

NomadKing

Great job on the assets and the scene :)

41. brn

brn

As promised here's the final stone texture. Feel free to use it for any of your own purposes. Id forgotten how much fun stylized textures can be and got a little carried away with a lighting test. Friday night Fun!

Cheers,
    Brn

RockTextureScene.unitypackage

42. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

It looks amazing, sadly I was hoping someone would make a tutorial as I was hoping to make my own and use it for commercial purposes :L

43. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Have you had any tries ? you should post them then we could give you information.Have you looked at the pictures in my post "the creation of adam"? there are some tutorials i folowed ther, these pictures are also at the start of this thread.

Rock is the hardest in my opinion :(

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  44. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Well, the trunk is a single mesh!

You can't tell in the pic, but the truth is that I used each branch as a separated mesh. If I merge all the branches, I get only 1 drawcall for all the branches. But the z-order gets all mixed up! Front branches go the back and the back branches get rendered first, looks really weird!
    For now I've found out that using the vertex lit particle shader, renders them in the correct order and brings the scene drawcalls back to 2!
    I'll use that for now!
    If anyone know what's the best way of solving this z-order for alpha quads, let me know please!

45. Farfarer

Farfarer

Don't use alpha blending on the leaves - use alpha testing. No one'll really notice when they play the game :)

46. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

You should be rendering your branches / trunk as a one pass opaque material. Then the leaf cards as either a cutout or transparent. Transparent will get you 'nicer' leaves but run much much slower. Cutout is adequate for most cases, but maybe you have a cool cutscene tree that you want to look super pretty.

47. nipoco

nipoco

Only Unity's default leaves shader and some tweaks in the Tree Creator settings.

48. ivanzu

ivanzu

Electrical Box
    $render.png

49. janpec

janpec

50. ivanzu

ivanzu

OK,here is the new image I think it looks better now. $render.png

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.