Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Small question about Unity built-in networking.

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Deleted User, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi,

You know the basic Unity built-in networking, where you don't need to be running any servers outside the unity, but anyone can open up game and host a server or join a server that is already being hosted by someone else in the lobby etc.
    Are there any limits on it?
    I mean, for e.g. if I had a game with this network and there were lots of servers hosted by different players, all of them having 20 slots (10 vs 10), would it lagg a lot or it wouldn't have any effect at all?

This probably sounds confusing as I'm bad at explaining >.<
    Well, say someone opens up my game and clicks to host server. 20 people connect to that server (10 vs 10) and start playing (20 player slots max on a server).
    Then someone else opens a game and hosts a new server as well, 20 players connect to it too.
    Do the servers hosted by different people have any impact on each other or not, because they're not hosted from same network?

Thanks.

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Someone please :)

Sorry for quick bumping, but I need someone to tell me so I could make a decision whether to use the unity built-in network or not :p

3. Dreamora

Dreamora

The restriction is the user computer and his network upstream as well as the router and isp.
    it also depends on what your game does network wise.

there is generally no hard way to say yes or no if it will work.

There is no server - server interaction, so they won't affect each other.

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

The restriction is the user computer and his network upstream as well as the router and isp.
    it also depends on what your game does network wise.

there is generally no hard way to say yes or no if it will work.

There is no server - server interaction, so they won't affect each other.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks.

I'm thinking of a simple online FPS similar to combat arms or counter strike with a simple team vs. team or deathmatch and having 20 slots max on each server (10 vs 10)

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

So basically, if I had 20 servers running on my game all by different people with like 20 or so players on each one, they wouldn't affect each other right?
    I mean more servers being hosted by different people wouldn't make other servers slower or laggy?

7. Tempest

Tempest

If you have 20 completely different groups of people playing, and one member of that group is the "host" for that game, then the game for each group will be unaffected by any other group's game.

Once the match-making is complete (through a MasterServer) the actual game networking will be back and forth only between the host of the game, and the players in that one instance. If there is a completely different host, then that second game is unaffected.

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

alright thanks Tempest.
    We're having a small break off our "runescape with unity3d" project, so I'll be making a basic online FPS just for fun with the gameplay same as Counter-strike or combat arms (a basic team vs team or deathmatch) and lobby system similar to Combat arms where you open the game and there is a lobby where you can host a server or join the one which is already being hosted by other people.
    :)