Search Unity

Small game with free assets, scripting by me

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Whiteleaf, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

I am bored so I decided I'd try a challenge where I have to make a game with premade free assets, exceptions for the scripting--that's all me.

This thread is a 'live' thread, I will be posting over the next couple of days, several times a day on progress. I might do voice acting, not sure yet. I don't have anything yet as I just made the Unity project, stay tuned, though.

See you soon!

GarBenjamin likes this.
  2. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Oh, I'd also like to add that I can edit certain things if I want; ONLY if the program I'm using is free. This project is basically a test to see what kind of game anyone can make with free programs/assets.

3. Mich_9

Mich_9

Well, anyone can make any kind of game no matter if the programs and assets are free or not, all depends on your scripting and game design capabilities.

4. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Very true, one of the reasons why I'm scripting instead of downloading scripts.

5. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Okay, still don't have much done, other than some basic free textures from textures.com/cgtextures.com. I have the barebones of the story, basically you're a group of robots that are trying to eliminate all the zombies from the zombie outbreak.

6. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Hey, everyone. After I got an idea of what I was doing and got some assets to work with, I was finally able to make a video showcasing what I'd put together so far. Right now there's some basic stuff, shooting, zooming, animations working, as well as sprinting. I also changed the idea from robots fighting the zombie apocalypse to either the military fighting it, or the military fighting off an invasion of robots from space--as well as aliens.

iamthwee likes this.
  7. Rombie

Rombie

Not bad so far; still needs a lot of polish but looking like a decent tps.

I would suggest you don't do zombies; go with your idea of the military fighting off invading robots or aliens.

Anything would feel a bit more fresh than another zombie game. It's to the point where I'm sure people just skip past it without much interest.

8. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Yes, I agree. I got basic enemy AI working, with some nice robots I found on the asset store.

iamthwee likes this.
  9. Ysgramor

Ysgramor

Great Start.
    Im as a free asset hunter apreciated this project :D(poor me)
    sometimes hidden gem was there on free asset.

10. iamthwee

iamthwee

Good start, this sounds like a great idea, I think there are too many people buying full games off the asset store and not really understanding what is going on. Nothing beats creating something using just your wits and free online resources. I might try this.

11. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Looks good so far, I am currently making a game with the same idea, I do the scripting and the asset store does everything else. ;)

Keep it up. :)

12. Rombie

Rombie

Something along this concept line; would be awesome.

Whiteleaf and Ysgramor like this.
  13. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Thanks, everyone for the support. Currently I'm not at the computer I have the game on, but later I will work on it more.

I'm planning to have something like that. I have a few mission ideas planned out(I won't spoil them, though! ;) ).

If you guys have any free sci fi assets, like music, sounds, models, etc, etc, it would appreciated if you sent me the link!

In the next update I'm hoping to:

-Flesh out the animation system, strafing left to right. No walking backwards animation, though because the model of the dude doesn't include one.

-Finish Enemy AI, so damaging, maybe hiding, taking cover, not sure yet.

-(Maybe) More optimization. I did a lot of optimization with LOD, but I might do more.

-Weapon system, support for different types of weapons. Like a rocket launcher, for example would be sweet.

-More sounds, an ambient sounds.

- (Somewhere in the future) The first mission!

14. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

RavenOfCode likes this.
  15. Ysgramor

Ysgramor

when i move backward and release the button, the player still on backward animation
    and maybe weapon aiming can be improve further with up down aim (animation based or IK based)
    im currently working on some IK based character controller and the result is good and accurate compared with animation based aiming.
    and also the enemies :D cant wait to pew pew my enemies:cool:

EDIT: and also dont forget the escape button :rolleyes:

16. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Thanks for the feedback, I am hoping to do something with the aiming in the future. I couldn't find anything on how to rotate bones during animation for generic avatars, if anyone does know any info please share!

Also, what do you mean by "dont forget the escape button"? Like a menu? Because yes, I will be doing that in the future. A pause and main menu.

EDIT: If you do test out the demo, please leave your FPS in your post for optimizing.

17. Ysgramor

Ysgramor

Yeah i mean the quit button, because i must alt tabbing everytime i want to quit
    here 60 fps all the way never drop

18. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Performance was fine, I was running 700 fps no problem, and my graphics card isnt that good either.

19. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Yeah, same for me. My PC isn't all that great but I get a solid 60, good to know that it's running well on other peoples computers. :)

20. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Hey, everyone. Right now I'm testing out pathfinding on terrain(since it's such a hassle) and perfecting it, as well as trying out "Navmesh Obstacles". These will come in handy for when I have something like a destructable wall, but want the AI to be able to wander outside of it. Obstacles basically close off the area inside of them, so kinda like realtime navmeshing. Finding these were awesome as I was figuring I'd had to program an entire script for it or somehow bake the navmesh every frame, which would put a ton of stress on the computer.

I have another question for you guys, would you want to see an 'instant action', like in games such as Battlefront 2? Basically it's a huge battle against bots on different maps with different gamemodes. If I'd do this I'd probably have to expand a lot from the base game, such as several classes to choose from(soldier, sniper, tank, etc), (maybe)map editor, and a heck of a lot of work with AI. I was planning to have a few different gamemodes:

- Dropzone: A gamemode where there is a certain point on the map that changes every couple of minutes. Inside the dropzone is a console, and you have to capture the console and hold it, and when the dropzone is changed(and the time didnt run out for that current zone) 1-2 mech suits would fall out of the sky that whoever's team captured the zone would get.

- Team Deathmatch (I'll think of a different name later): Standard team deathmatch, probably 50 kills to win.

- Survival: There's 2 teams, the Robots and the Humans. Humans must survive oncoming waves of robots. If the player chooses the robot team, they will have full control over the robot they chose.

-More to come most likely.

EDIT: And maybe in the future I'll make it multiplayer so you can have some fun with your friends, no guarantees, though!

RavenOfCode likes this.
  21. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

I think good action, with maybe a bit of story/puzzle would be cool.

Whiteleaf likes this.
  22. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

I might have to rethink the game. Almost all the free characters I get have no animations, and all the free animation packs don't have what I need.

23. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

What I did was make a controller and added animations to that then use it for all my models, I used that for all 5 models in the game regardless of the avatar.

24. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

I would do that, but the problem with the model I'm using for the player(which has all the animations I need), was submitted in Unity 3, and therefore has a generic avatar. Making it a humanoid and configuring it messes it up and the animations don't play on anything at all.

25. iamthwee

iamthwee

Try modeling from scratch in blender and animating?

26. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Try changing the avatar, manually configuring the model to fit the avatar. Then using different animations that fit the avatar. I did this in my game and it worked like a charm.

Or as @iamthwee said model and animate them from blender or another program.

27. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

I would do that, but since I'm trying to only use free assets I haven't decided if I can make stuff like animations, otherwise there'd be no point in doing this as I could just use my own models and other assets.

I tried that already, too. I'm convinced it's because the model was submitted using Unity 3 and doesn't use Mechanim, and all the animations are separate files and aren't attached to the model itself.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  28. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Maybe its time to use a different model?
    Here are my suggestions:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/12802
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/4696

Also here is a great enemy model:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/15088

29. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

RavenOfCode likes this.
  30. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

I normally have to do some tweeking to get it to work. Anyways good luck. :)

31. chrissanders

chrissanders

game has potential. if i was busy with my project id help out. (3d modeler and professional Ui designer)