Search Unity

Sluggish UI response and play mode lag after upgrading to 2017.1.0b3

Discussion in 'Linux' started by mysticfall, May 13, 2017.

1. mysticfall

mysticfall

I've been running Unity Editor on the development branch of Kubuntu with proprietary NVidia driver (GTX970), and haven't experienced any serious problems with 5.6.x.

However, since I've upgraded to 2017.1.0b3, I'm experiencing quite severe lag in UI response and also very noticeable frame drops in the play mode.

For example, switching between menu item sometimes takes more than 1 second and there's some flickering before the menu changes if I move the mouse pointer over a new one.

And sometimes, objects drawn in the scene editor don't get updated until I go to the play mode and stop again. I used to have only slight decrease in FPS in the play mode before, compared to an actual buid. But now, I only get 10-20fps in play mode with CharacterThirdPerson demo scene from the Standard Assets package.

Is there anyone else experiencing a similar problem as mine? And where should I look if I'm going to debug this issue?

Thanks!

2. Kooshy

Kooshy

I just upgraded and had very similar issues, though mostly in play mode (UI response is intermittently sluggish, but play mode is around 10FPS on a very simple 2D game.)

I tried running the profiler to see if maybe it was me, if maybe I needed to adjust something for a newer version of the engine, but no - the profiler was reporting effectively 0 GPU time and very little CPU time, as expected for this relatively simple learning project.

I clicked the "Profile Editor" button, though, and things got interesting. 95% of the time was suddenly taken up by "UpdateSceneIfNe" (it cut off - I'm guessing it said "Needed" or "Necessary" or something.) I hadn't used the profiler before, so I'm not sure I'm reading all the charts right, but I think it went from reporting about 1000FPS to the more accurate 10 or so when including the editor as well.

Using Build and Run to run the game outside the editor is also silky smooth.

So..I'm not sure if any of that helps, but here's hoping. In the meantime, I'll probably go back to 5.6 (unless there's a workaround, in which case, hey~)

3. kaskiU

kaskiU

Hmm, I don't have the same problem.. My editor is smooth and no frame drops while on play mode. No flickering or slow menus. All items are getting drawn correctly on scene view. I tested with a 2D game also.

Maybe check Editor log to see if there is any errors there.

Heres my sysinfo to possibly help it narrow down: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/9ef4315e94c0cf0ad547a0d1643c39b0

EDIT: You can see logs at ~/.config/unity3d/

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  4. mysticfall

mysticfall

I don't see any suspicious messages in my log file, but thanks for the suggestion. I didn't even know there's a log file. :p

5. kmare

kmare

I actually noticed the lagginess on my system too. Fedora 25, ivy-bridge i5, Nvidia GTX 650 Ti, 16gb ram. Before the update the editor felt smooth as usual.

6. rootPL

rootPL

Thanks mysticfall, you saved an hour of trying new build testing and getting angry :)

Will stay on 5.6.x until someone will find the workaround.

7. mysticfall

mysticfall

Please don't worry, I'll gladly yield the honor of being the first one to report problems to you, when the next version arrives :p