Search Unity

Slowness When Entering Play Mode After Switching to Addressables v1.7.5

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by CDGKen, Mar 31, 2020.

1. CDGKen

CDGKen

Hello,

We're currently in the process of migrating our project from the Resources folder to Addressables, but have noticed a marked increase in the time it takes to enter Play mode from the editor. We are using v1.7.5.

We are sort of testing the waters with Addressables, and haven't migrated everything over yet. Instead, we're converting chunks of our assets at a time, so right now only some of our assets are in addressable groups, while the rest are still Resource assets. Before using Addressables, it would take ~6 seconds on my system to enter Play mode. Now, when I press Play a dialog saying "Processing Addressable Group - Built In Data" pops up for ~8 seconds, goes away, and then it takes another 12 seconds for it to successfully enter Play mode. So the time has gone from 6 to 20 secs every time I press Play.

Is this kind of thing supposed to happen when moving to Addressables? Is there a way to reduce this time? I tried searching for anyone with similar issues, but I could only find people experiencing slowness when manipulating large groups of assets in the UI, which I believe was fixed in v.1.7.4.

Many thanks for any help or insight on this.

Kenny

andreiagmu likes this.
  2. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

I'll flag this for the team to provide some input and insight.

andreiagmu likes this.
  3. CDGKen

CDGKen

That would be super helpful. Thank you! Unfortunately we've been forced to put a hold on the Addressables migration until it can be figured out, because it's a bit of a bottleneck on development.

4. davidla_unity

davidla_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey @CDGKen it sounds like you might be experiencing this slowdown as a result of a bug that was fixed in fastmode where the catalog locations weren't being generated correctly for sub-objects. If this is happening every time you enter playmode I assume you're using the Use Asset Database (faster) Play Mode Script?

There is a ticket on our end to reduce the time it takes to enter Playmode when using the faster Play Mode Script. I don't think it's going to make into our next release but I wanted you to know it's in the works.

If you'd still like to file a bug with Unity and submit your project it might go a long way in helping us make sure we've addressed as many cases as possible regarding Fast Mode.

andreiagmu likes this.
  5. CDGKen

CDGKen

Thanks for the response.

We are indeed using the Use Asset Database Play Mode Script, because we're still in the midst of creating content, so a lot of new addressables are currently being created and we didn't want to build it over and over again. I guess we'll have to figure out a way around it for the time being, or possibly hold off on the migration entirely for now. But it's good to know this is a known thing being looked into.

Thanks again!