Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Slower async scene loading in 2019.3?

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by Marcos-Elias, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Marcos-Elias

Marcos-Elias

I use a large world divided into tiles, loading the next scene (async) depending on the player position. My scenes use a terrain and a few hundreds objects (3x3km tiles). Some uses four smaller terrains instead of a huge one.

In 2019.3 beta I saw a huge delay when loading scenes this way on Android devices, with a complete stop/hiccup to load and activate the new scene.

Are you guys experiencing that too?

Gameplay completely freezes for a second or so during the async loading, but it never did it in any previous releases. So I think that it is not something with my scripts (awake, start, on enable etc). In 2019.2 or older it runs fine with no noticeable delay.

It will be very hard to isolate and send a bug report with a sample because the project is large. We cannot expect this behavior in the final release, I hope it's a common problem for now. But we may try separating a small part to report later.

It may be related to:
    Async scene loading
    Terrains when they are loaded/enabled
    Colliders/physics? (enabling colliders at the end of the loading)

Victor-N likes this.
  2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

As far as I can tell, this is not a known issue. A bug report with a reproducible would be much appreciated. If a minimal reproduction project is not an option, would it be possible for you to share the full project with us?

Marcos-Elias likes this.
  3. Marcos-Elias

Marcos-Elias

Thanks, I'll try it. The project is really huge (almost 100 GB) but we'll try including only a few tiles and one driveable vehicle (the problem appears to be independent of the vehicle or first person controller, it also happens in free fly cam).

LeonhardP likes this.
  4. TSRajesh

TSRajesh

Yes. I too am noticing that. Mine is Mobile game. Though the delay is not noticeable when I run in the editor (PC), the delay is huge with the latest update. It was quite OK until my previous update. (2019.2). And I don't know how to provide a reproducible project.

Marcos-Elias likes this.
  5. Marcos-Elias

Marcos-Elias

It seems that the terrain system got worse once they are loaded and enabled. Without terrain, it is running better here. We are converting the terrain to meshes and will avoid using any new native tool. By having all 3D models made outside of Unity it seems more stable between updates. But there is no simple solution for the foliage =/

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  6. TSRajesh

TSRajesh

Didn't work. Even after removing terrain it is waay too slow. For now, I think i'll go back to the older one..

ROBYER1 likes this.
  7. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

I am also experiencing this on Android with the Oculus Quest, load times are almost doubled on 2020.2 when upgrading from 2020.1

Is this the kind of load time delay you are seeing? See the video in the post
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/cas...om-6-seconds-to-100-seconds-in-2020-2.914936/