Search Unity

Slow refactoring with monodevelop

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Disastercake, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Disastercake

Disastercake

Does anyone ever have issues when using the refactoring feature to rename variables in monodevelop? I often experience periods where monodevelop becomes unresponsive when refactoring, sometimes requiring an alt+f4 and starting over.

I also experience a wierd bug with underscores. Sometimes underscores will not display, but the code still works properly, and copying and pasting the invisible underscore shows it come up correctly in notepad.

2. Disastercake

Disastercake

I've found that the underscore disappearing issue happens when there is a comment at the end of a line of code. Example:

private float _myFloat = 0; //My comment

Any idea if this is standard functionality and how to turn this off?

3. Bunny83

Bunny83

Slow is understated. Even renaming members of a private enum in a small class takes about 30sec... Also i had cases where MonoDevelop missed some cases when renaming variables or methods project-wide. This makes the feature as unsafe as search-and-replace but in addition way slower... I had cases where i closed Mono, started up VisualStudioExpress, doing the refactoring and switching back to Mono because it's still faster and much more reliable.

4. burtonposey

burtonposey

I use Xamarin Studio now because it's really, really fast and is essentially Monodevelop 4.0. the only downside is no one has found a way to debug from it. So I code edit and end up debugging back Monodevelop.

I really hope we end up seeing this version end up as the packaged Unity programming IDE. It's very nice and runs circles around what's in there now. Since 3.5 these features (Find References and Refactor) have been incredibly borked.