Search Unity

Slow GPU performance on El Capitan with/without updated Nvidia driver

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gecko, Jun 22, 2016.

1. gecko

gecko

I finally upgraded to 10.11 last month, and began noticing significantly worse GPU performance in Unity. So I finally googled it and found I should get the latest Nvidia driver for my MBP (late 2013 with GTX 750M card). So I did that that, but it was no better. So then I got the latest OSX update (going from 10.11.4 to 10.11.5) -- and now it's horribly worse, and about the same on the default OSX driver and the new Nvidia driver. I've been googling this all morning and can't find anyone with a problem, so I'm posting here in hopes that somebody has experienced this and solved it.

Attached is a profiler screenshot showing the insane GPU usage. I did a build and ran this project on a newer MBP with AMD R9 GPU and it runs very smoothly, so the problem is almost certainly the combination of 10.11 and Nvidia 750M.

Anyone?

Attached Files:

MrEsquire likes this.
  2. gecko

gecko

Further proof that something is messed up: When the MBP is using the integrated graphics card, GPU usage is far lower than with the dedicated card.

3. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Unity always seems to be "heavy" with MacOSX since using it as main laptop for development..
    I first noticed it when my Laptop fans start spinning loud when using Unity, no other program does this onthe laptop not even Photoshop and I do not play games. Some user reported MacOSX memory leak in 5.4 beta. Another thing is because many people don't develop heavy games for Mac, hence maybe these issues not noticed from regular users. Just be good to know if you manage to find anything out further and I look into the driver stuff out of curiosity.

4. gecko

gecko

This is on 4.7, and it's definitely something not-working-properly. All was fine with 10.10, but xcode forced me to upgrade to 10.11...

5. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Ah then 4.7 no more updates maybe try 4.7.2 last version